Dean Smith

Demitri_C

It's affectively a new season for us, forget about previous form, Liverpool, Wolves and Man U will be tough games but Wolves aren't invincible as other teams have shown, the same goes for Utd, and against Liverpool we will just have to try our hardest and see what happens. I think our only hope of surviving is to block out what's gone one before,  as I think a big part of our problem is a mental thing as much as anything else, in a purely footballing sense I think we have capability to stay up, but need that win against Newcastle get us going again.

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just a shame he got us promoted. He would have had better support on here if he failed promotion and rather developed the squad from the championship. 

People say that but we'd have lost Grealish and probably most of the loanees wouldn't have signed, certainly no way we'd have got in Mings for 25m as a championship club. Would've had to sign very well to be in top 2 contention, I think at best it would've been another play off lottery. I assume likes of Whelan and Adomah would've still been released but perhaps we'd have kept them around for 12 more months as we only decided to let them go after we went up.

Edited by VillaChris

If we lose to Newcastle that will be 1 point from 9 since restart , add that to points haul before the stoppage and its tough to see where he goes from there.Also for Purslow etc do they just give up like we did the season we went down or twist sack him and either let Terry have a go ( which could just be another mess like when Shearer took over at Newcastle ) or try a rescue specalist like Big Sam.Neither option looks great but its about changing the face on the sideline and hoping for a new manger boost - though having to be done in really difficult circumstances ...

Boro pulled the plug on Woodgate to go to Warnock we could have to do something similar.

Percy reported he was on way out if lost to Chelsea before the break and he as reliable as they come with Villa news so despite all the talk from Purslow it must have been discussed.I would think with the break and time to reflect it was worth another go but another non footballing perfomance like Chelsea and no points its tough to back him.

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

1 point out of the last 21 and you think we'll stay up?

Fair play. If that's what you believe i admire your optimism.

You didn't think we'd get promoted last season. 

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

People say that but we'd have lost Grealish and probably most of the loanees wouldn't have signed, certainly no way we'd have got in Mings for 25m as a championship club. Would've had to sign very well to be in top 2 contention, I think at best it would've been another play off lottery. I assume likes of Whelan and Adomah would've still been released but perhaps we'd have kept them around for 12 more months as we only decided to let them go after we went up.

No doubt some players would have moved on. Some would also have been signed. Nobody knows how it would've panned out. What we do know is that it would have given him more time to work and implement his style of play. Instead we got promoted through play offs to the PL, when we weren't even the third best team in the division. We ended up in the PL with players like Hourihane and Lansbury. 

To make matters even worse we managed to find a talentless crap scout in Jesus who got us players like Trez, Wes etc. for a combined fee of way too much. 

Hourihane would've been a regular week in week out if we'd stayed down. That will likely happen next season. Lansbury would've started much more given he's played the odd prem game this season. Think Jota/Gardner swop was done regardless of what division we were in and he was probably seen as replacement for Grealish at the time. Hause would've still come in.

Struggle to see that team being in the mix for top 2.

4 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Trying to figure out who is at fault when we play the teams in the top 10.

We always drop so deep and invite everyone on, we dont have the pace to break so its pointless.

I always thought it was the midfield who were causing all the problems dropping so deep, but is it actually the defense?  Should the defense be playing a higher line, therefore pushing the midfield up?

Not for me. We played a very high line v Spurs and they had about five one on ones in the game. Reina actually played very well that game. Also lead to the penalty.

Bigger problem is the lack of bottle we have when we're leading them with 20/30 minutes left to play. For whatever reason we simply don't believe we'll hang on even for a point and fold as soon as we concede a goal.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Nah, not implying that.

As I said, they aren't a traditionally run club. Don't think anyone has had a agent outside the club completely in charge of all first team signing before.

I'm sure other teams will try it but it sounds like a recipe for disaster when you read it on paper. Obviously it's been great for them because Mendes is heavily invested himself, and his mate is manager. Could turn sour if they fall out and he decides to move their five best players on.

Yep, we've cocked up in a huge way with our transfers. Signed some shocking players for five times their price and I'm very unsure if half are good enough for the Championship.

It's happened a bit in the past with managers having close relationships with agents and a fair few players coming in from that particular agent. Apparently Kia Joorbachin has wormed his way into things at Arsenal in last year so that's why so many of his clients like David Luiz are turning up there.

There were rumours about John Gregory back in the day. FA actually investigated him after he went to Derby and they suspended him.

People give Wolves stick but it's worked brilliantly for them and three years down the linke Neves and Diogo Jota are still there and happily playing for them. I'd love to see world class players like Joao Moutinho and Raul Jimenez playing for us so I don't really care about how they do things.

We tried a different route but still lost likes of Milner and Young after 3-4 years so there really isn't a way to keep all your squad together if you're just outside the elite and can't break through. Wolves just might this season and Leicester certainly will.

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sadly we ain't playing Rotherham, Bolton and Wigan this season.

What has that got to do with your prediction being wrong? If anything it amplifies how wrong it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Derren Dein an agent was in charge of small heath's transfers when Redknapp was their manager, and apparently they could have used that fact to avoid the points deduction that they had, but couldn't because they then would have been in even bigger trouble for different reasons, as an agent isn't meant to have significant influence over a club. How Wolves get away with I'm not sure because Mendes obviously has a significant influence over them, their owners own a stake in his agency and Mendes himself turns up to their games and sits with those owners, most of their squad are either players he represents or players that have come from clubs that he also has big influence over like Benfica and Monaco.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What has that got to do with your prediction being wrong? If anything it amplifies how wrong it was.

I just took it as it's much easier to string a winning run together in the championship as we did last season with the 10 match one.

Pretty sure the only time we've won even two consecutive games this season was in October with Norwich and Brighton. To stay up we're probably going to have to win two in a row at some point, one win seems like a minor miracle atm.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He went to a mid table championship club? We have fifth richest owners in the league who want us playing in europe in 3-4 years?

The simple facts are this anyway regardless of whether people rate these managers or not:

Newcastle appointed Benitez when they were about to be relegated to the championship.

Leeds appointed Bielsa when they were mid table in championship.

Wolves appointed Nuno when they were mid table in championship.

Leiecester appointed Rodgers when they were about 13th in premier league.

Everton appointed Ancelotti when they were near relegation zone in premier league.

We need to set our sights a bit higher sometimes. There's plenty of good managers out of work currently who've won trophies very recently as has been said for likes of Jardim and Marcelinho suggested in this thread.

As decent as Eddie Howe and Dyche are those would be so much Villa appointments, safe and predictable. I'd back both to get us straight back into premier league but I want a manager who I can be fairly sure will improve us quickly at the top level without having to sign another new squad and will get us back in europe by end of 2023 season.

I think the names don't matter - the next managerial appointment will tell us how serious the owners are.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think the names don't matter - the next managerial appointment will tell us how serious the owners are.

I do think appointing a manager of real pedigree would at least help us get bigger name players interested in playing for us each summer. It's something we really struggle with compared to other clubs even in the Midlands area.

Amusingly enough having Steve Bruce as manager probably helped us attract John Terry as he was a Man. United fan when he was younger so Steve Bruce was probably a hero of his. Terry is the biggest name we've signed in last decade and we weren't even a premier league club when we did it.

As much as we always gave Ellis stick we'd usually sign good international standard players under him and it was the same in first four years under Lerner. Then our transfer policy completely flipped and we had summers sigining Bacuna, Helenius, Luna, Westwood, Bowery, Joe Bennett, El Amadi and Brett Holman. Seems since then we're just grateful to sign anyone thinking they'll all become the new Benteke when in reality it's very rare that happens.

I don't think it's a crime to ask for better sometimes. We pay enough going to the games and watching it on TV after all.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yeah that the dilemma - but I believe the powers at villa are convinced they have the right man in smith.

Unfortunately I agree, but In reality I don't think he deserves that backing. He's an affable guy and want's the best for the team he supports but that best isn't him!

We have been awful to watch this season fecking awful! We had an easy cup run against some u18's teams and got a total lesson in the final. Brentford have made huge strides since he left (yes I know they have spent a bit of cash) and he hasn't changed a single game this season! At no point have I rushed to VT after a game to heap praise for a solid decision with a sub or change in formation that has made us a better team during a match.........not once! I've probably only enjoyed the Everton at home and Norwich away games. 

I'd like a change but really can't see it happening I think to many at VP are under the illusion it was a year to early to get promoted so he'll get more time! All I see is another couple of years of yoyo-ing he's not PL quality, but he is a Villa fan so that's OK apparently. 

OH and Terry needs to trot on too WTF is he doing at this club? Go and suck fat Frank elsewhere zero use at BMH!

I still remember that interview with Jack early season saying the position he hates most is wide left! WTF are we doing playing our head and shoulders above best player in a position he hates at a time he's hitting his prime and want's to get into the England side, no wonder he's on the way out!

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

He's an affable guy and want's the best for the team he supports but that best isn't him!

How do you work that out ?

We are all Villa supporter on here BUT, just put yourself in his shoes.He has led Villa to promotion,he has taken us to Wembly,he has managed us in the Championship,he has managed us in the Pl.He can see that after 3/4 of a season the best he can do is get us to 19th,so,surley if he really wanted what was best for the team he supports he would quit and let another manager try to keep us up FFS.

So after achieving what all of us can only dream about he is prepared to take us down,knowing that will put us in real shit because all the best players will leave and we could be in the Championship for years and years.Is that what he wants for the team he supported as a boy, and apparently stil supports.Thats a great way to treat the team you love and support.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

1 point out of the last 21 and you think we'll stay up?

Fair play. If that's what you believe i admire your optimism.

the reason is that our rivals are doing about the same that's why we are all on 26-28 points.  All have had bad runs, all have had a victory or two now and then.  The environment is so different at the moment to normal football that who knows.  3 points in any one game makes so much difference because the four teams (Watford, Bmouth, WHam and us) cant win any games.  So somebody winning one game flips it all on it's head.  We've had a long run of no points aside from Sheff Utd that even as bad as we are we are due a win.  Even as bad as Norwich are they sneaked a win against Leicester just before the lockdown so it can happen.  Let's hope it's Wednesday

Â