Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

No way I want Purslow to go, he is one of the best CEO's we could possibly have.  People just want to throw out people sometimes just because they are frustrated. Maybe some decisions needed to be different, maybe some things need to be changed  but the over reaction on here is too much.

Not disagreeing - but what has Purslow done to give that confidence ? - granted he is better than Faulkner, Wyness, Fox - but thats setting the bar pretty low.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thing is I am more confident in our rivals getting more lucky wins than us. West Ham are in terrible form - but I would still back them to stay up over us.

Why? Genuine question.

They roughly have the same amount of points as us so they have had a season equivalent to ours.  Our problem has always been conceding goals and while we let in 2 against Chelsea we have looked a lot more solid at the back, which I'm happy about.  Chelsea who were really good only had four shots on target.  We on the other hand can score goals which we have shown all season and maybe our new defensive solidness will restrict that we can score.  We still had 5 shots on target against Chelsea.

I think it's anybodies game on who stays up now but could be a really low points total that is needed.

If we beat Newcastle and yes that's a big if, that changes the picture dramatically doesnt it.

Why? Genuine question.

They roughly have the same amount of points as us so they have had a season equivalent to ours.  Our problem has always been conceding goals and while we let in 2 against Chelsea we have looked a lot more solid at the back, which I'm happy about.  Chelsea who were really good only had four shots on target.  We on the other hand can score goals which we have shown all season and maybe our new defensive solidness will restrict that we can score.  We still had 5 shots on target against Chelsea.

I think it's anybodies game on who stays up now but could be a really low points total that is needed.

If we beat Newcastle and yes that's a big if, that changes the picture dramatically doesnt it.

Because if West Ham found themselves 2-0 with 15 minutes to go - I think they would make a better fist of it than us. Whenever the opposition ups the tempo against us we just roll over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thing is I am more confident in our rivals getting more lucky wins than us. West Ham are in terrible form - but I would still back them to stay up over us.

I looked at Bournemouth and Brighton as the ones I thought we could get above looking at fixtures , however Brighton’s weekend win put them much closer to safety - I really think we need at least 4 points in these next 2 games as Liverpool may win the title by beating us and Man U will need the win too against us , 7 points v Newcastle wolves and palace and maybe a winner takes all game at West Ham might be enough ? 

would need to see massive improvement though to do so 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why? Genuine question.

True. Wolves, Liverpool and Man Utd after though and our track record against top 6 isn't exactly great.

We are realistically looking at 1 point at best from that.

I wasn't saying that Grealish has any influence over Smith to the point where Smith isn't in charge or anything like that; Grealish plays where he's told, and more fool him if he doesn't like playing on the wing, because his form in midfield was nowhere as good as it's been since switching wide, the thing of him being more affective in midfield is one of the biggest myths being perpetuated at the moment. My point was more that Grealish feels that the training sessions aren't good enough that he sometimes has to speak up and ask for them to be changed.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not disagreeing - but what has Purslow done to give that confidence ? - granted he is better than Faulkner, Wyness, Fox - but thats setting the bar pretty low.

because he been there and done it before at Liverpool and Chelsea.  His role is more the macro side of the club like his short spell at Liverpool and more so at Chelsea for his four years.  That's what I want from him, he can really take the Villa off field to the next level and help guide the internal management but at the end of the day he isnt the mastermind of footballing matters and I dont think he should be.  If he was too involved in football matters we would all be complaining saying leave that to the DoF and managers and do what you should be doing.  So getting that balance right but I think his abilities are going to be great for Villa off the pitch long term.

because he been there and done it before at Liverpool and Chelsea.  His role is more the macro side of the club like his short spell at Liverpool and more so at Chelsea for his four years.  That's what I want from him, he can really take the Villa off field to the next level and help guide the internal management but at the end of the day he isnt the mastermind of footballing matters and I dont think he should be.  If he was too involved in football matters we would all be complaining saying leave that to the DoF and managers and do what you should be doing.  So getting that balance right but I think his abilities are going to be great for Villa off the pitch long term.

To me the most important thing a CEO does is recruit the manager. It bothers me that he could only come up with Smith and Henry - the next appointment needs to be in a different league to those two.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because if West Ham found themselves 2-0 with 15 minutes to go - I think they would make a better fist of it than us. Whenever the opposition ups the tempo against us we just roll over.

I'm not sure that's true because they are literally 1 point better off than us. 

That means either 

1)teams score earlier than them and the opposition dont let them back into the game or West Ham dont have the balls to fight back or

2) West Ham get in front and lose that lead. 

Both situations are bad.  I know you feel the way you do but the situations is that West Ham do one of the above two

Just now, nick76 said:

I'm not sure that's true because they are literally 1 point better off than us. 

That means either 

1)teams score earlier than them and the opposition dont let them back into the game or West Ham dont have the balls to fight back or

2) West Ham get in front and lose that lead. 

Both situations are bad.  I know you feel the way you do but the situations is that West Ham do one of the above two

Who do you think will be in the PL next season Villa or West Ham ?  - 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

To me the most important thing a CEO does is recruit the manager. It bothers me that he could only come up with Smith and Henry - the next appointment needs to be in a different league to those two.

I thought Smith was a great hire for a mid table championship team and it seemed better that he was a Villa fan and to be fair Smith hasnt failed yet, in that he got promotion and to a cup final and we still might not get relegated.  To get to the next level I'm sure that we might be looking for a higher level manager but for where we were Smith was a great acquisition.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Dont care about West Ham but I think we will be in the PL.  I'm obviously not overly confident because points could go anywhere in these final 8 games but I feel we will sneak out of the relegation zone.  As for West Ham, I dont care who out of them, Bmouth or Watford go down.

1 hour ago, jim said:

Just watched his pre-match interview. Christ he sounds utterly deflated and beaten already , how on earth is he going to inspire the team to victory?

He didn't sound on it before the restart. One interview showed him liven up a bit when they didn't talk about Villa, rather BLM. I doubt we will win another game under his tenor to be honest, an the best thing we can do for a little hope is let him go, before we destroy him like what happend with Lambert

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you pushed me I think West Ham will go down because we beat them on the last game of the season.

Its very open down their with lots of games and points to play for, the unusual  results sometimes happens this time of the season . Oh boy do we need a change of fortune . West H have a better run in than us. Heart says we could be ok  my head says not a chance!  

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dont care about West Ham but I think we will be in the PL.  I'm obviously not overly confident because points could go anywhere in these final 8 games but I feel we will sneak out of the relegation zone.  As for West Ham, I dont care who out of them, Bmouth or Watford go down.

1 point out of the last 21 and you think we'll stay up?

Fair play. If that's what you believe i admire your optimism.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

West Ham but things could change if they loose tonight and we sneak a win at Newcastle. We need to put in a much bigger shift though. 

Edited by PaulC

It's pointless thinking of it as 1 out of the last 21, have to forget about the games before the lockdown, in terms of form for all intents and purposes that was another season, we just have think in terms of these final ten games, our form is 1 point from the last possible 6, not great but we did play two pretty decent sides, beat Newcastle and suddenly our form since coming back will look a lot better, and we can take it from there.

1 minute ago, useless said:

It's pointless thinking of it as 1 out of the last 21, have to forget about the games before the lockdown, in terms of form for all intents and purposes that was another season, we just have think in terms of these final ten games, our form is 1 point from the last possible 6, not great but we did play two pretty decent sides, beat Newcastle and suddenly our form since coming back will look a lot better, and we can take it from there.

Are you forgetting Wolves, Liverpool and Man Utd are up next?

If we go by stats we are looking at a possible 1 point from that. Even a point from that run of games is stretching it.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 13:40, nick76 said:

If we carry on playing the way we are with no fight, I can't see us winning another game. West Ham at least look like they are trying as are Norwich, we are just so so poor, an have just carried our form from before the lock down. That's why I have no faith in Smith, he has no idea at the moment how to turn us around, an hasn't for a while.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â