Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

To defend smith as a manager and attack Bielsa quite frankly makes it pointless to carry on the discussion - it is the most ludicrous thing I’ve read on this forum in many many years  .

Pointless to continue from here on as you have made your position farcical . No offence intended by the way . 

He won't hear one bad word against Smith whilst simultaneously putting down superior, polished managers like Bielsa. All a bit silly really. 

• Like 2

Trying to figure out who is at fault when we play the teams in the top 10.

We always drop so deep and invite everyone on, we dont have the pace to break so its pointless.

I always thought it was the midfield who were causing all the problems dropping so deep, but is it actually the defense?  Should the defense be playing a higher line, therefore pushing the midfield up?

Middlesbrough have sacked Woodgate and given the job to Warnock, so it's not out of the question for teams to make managerial changes even at this stage of the season and how compact the fixtures are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I know Mendes has had an influence, the owners knew of his contacts prior to buying Wolves and had invested in shares in Mendes' company. 

What you are almost implying here is that Wolves have cheated their way to where they are now and that their fans are in denial about the whole thing. I recall we and a few other Championship clubs reported Wolves to the FA about this in their promotion season but they were found to have not broken any rules. 

Even if Wolves do have clear advantages over other teams, it's not like we can't say the same. We spent more than anyone else in the Championship and had Purslow casting his eye over our finances to ensure we met FFP guidelines, including selling the stadium and leasing it back to ourselves. And our key influencer in transfers was supposed to be Jesus Garcia Pitarch, who has made an almighty cock up with the players he's brought in. Shame we had him conducting our transfers and not Mendes. 

Nah, not implying that.

As I said, they aren't a traditionally run club. Don't think anyone has had a agent outside the club completely in charge of all first team signing before.

I'm sure other teams will try it but it sounds like a recipe for disaster when you read it on paper. Obviously it's been great for them because Mendes is heavily invested himself, and his mate is manager. Could turn sour if they fall out and he decides to move their five best players on.

Yep, we've cocked up in a huge way with our transfers. Signed some shocking players for five times their price and I'm very unsure if half are good enough for the Championship.

54 minutes ago, Eastie said:

To defend smith as a manager and attack Bielsa quite frankly makes it pointless to carry on the discussion - it is the most ludicrous thing I’ve read on this forum in many many years  .

Pointless to continue from here on as you have made your position farcical . No offence intended by the way . 

Wait. 

Defending the aston villa manager, Dean Smith, on a villa forum in the Dean Smith thread is the most ludicrous thing you've ever read? I never attacked Biesla, his team bottled it last year, that's all i've said. 

What i don't get is the love for a manager who failed to do what Dean Smith did, while wanting Dean Smith sacked before he has had one full season at the club. 

I know 2020 is a **** up year but this is just crazy. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He won't hear one bad word against Smith whilst simultaneously putting down superior, polished managers like Bielsa. All a bit silly really. 

Wow this is hard work. 

I think Smith deserves criticism for certain things and I've said about 20 times, that he is not doing a great job. However I do feel like after all he has done so far, he deserves one full season in charge of the club as a minimum. 

Hope that clears it up. There are a few leeds forums if you want to go and talk about superior, polished managers currently in the championship. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It's because some fans are too proud to take their biases aside when discussing other teams.

If Bielsa was here these same people wouldn't stop praising him.

By the way just checked the stats for their 2-0 loss. 67 % possession and 16-7 in shots. They were wasteful and unlucky. Clearly by far the better footballing team. Cardiff had 2 shots on target and scored 2. 

If villa had these stats against, 2 shots on target against and 2 conceded, you would be all over our defence and the individual errors/ lack of effort to close down. 

I agree, I think bielsa would be doing a better job than Smith, but you're constant use of stats to suit you're narrative is pathetic and anyone with any sense of football can see right through you. Particularly that desperate attempt of positivity you came up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wait. 

Defending the aston villa manager, Dean Smith, on a villa forum in the Dean Smith thread is the most ludicrous thing you've ever read? I never attacked Biesla, his team bottled it last year, that's all i've said. 

What i don't get is the love for a manager who failed to do what Dean Smith did, while wanting Dean Smith sacked before he has had one full season at the club. 

I know 2020 is a **** up year but this is just crazy. 

Managers are generally sacked due to performances and results - both of which have been dire under smith since New Year’s Day - he is extremely lucky to have had 30 games in my opinion .  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wow this is hard work. 

I think Smith deserves criticism for certain things and I've said about 20 times, that he is not doing a great job. However I do feel like after all he has done so far, he deserves one full season in charge of the club as a minimum. 

Hope that clears it up. There are a few leeds forums if you want to go and talk about superior, polished managers currently in the championship. 

Fine. I accept your opinion, even if I don't agree. I haven't pushed for a change to be made now anyway, it should have been done in December after the Southampton defeat but that ship has sailed. It's arguable whether a change now would work anyway, though other teams (Boro, Rea Betis) have already rolled the dice so we'll see how that works for them.

At the end of the season, after he's had his 'full' season in charge, and if we haven't stayed up which was the minimum target, then I hope you won't belittle posters for asking for him to be replaced. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Haha this is crazy. 

The laughable thing is the little club who have decided smith is a disaster are all frothing at the mouth for a bloke who is still in the league below. Having absolutely bottled an automatic spot last year. 

It just sums up this thread brilliantly. 

Exaggerate much?

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fine. I accept your opinion, even if I don't agree. I haven't pushed for a change to be made now anyway, it should have been done in December after the Southampton defeat but that ship has sailed. It's arguable whether a change now would work anyway, though other teams (Boro, Rea Betis) have already rolled the dice so we'll see how that works for them.

At the end of the season, after he's had his 'full' season in charge, and if we haven't stayed up which was the minimum target, then I hope you won't belittle posters for asking for him to be replaced. 

Not sure I've belittled posters. I've been against the completely over the top comments regarding the manager. 

If we go down, then as a club we failed and Smith is part of that. I could see logic for keeping him and getting rid in the summer. 

When you assess our recruitment and the state of the squad, I find it hard to lay all blame on Dean Smith. 

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Managers are generally sacked due to performances and results - both of which have been dire under smith since New Year’s Day - he is extremely lucky to have had 30 games in my opinion .  

Yes  100%   , think if we had not had the covid 19 break in the season he may have been on his way.  I Do not want to see managers being sacked or a permanently revolving door of managers  but its painfully obvious he has struggled since the start of the season with no improvement ! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

So managers don't deserve any time? First really bad spell and its get rid?

Say we sack smith and a new manager keeps us up, but then struggles next year do we sack him again?

I fully am behind that a manager earns time. I don't see how anyone can argue that Smith hasn't in his time here so far. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure I've belittled posters. I've been against the completely over the top comments regarding the manager. 

If we go down, then as a club we failed and Smith is part of that. I could see logic for keeping him and getting rid in the summer. 

When you assess our recruitment and the state of the squad, I find it hard to lay all blame on Dean Smith. 

I agree it's not all on him and others will have to go too. But this is a Dean Smith thread so would be a bit out of context to talk about Pitarch, Purslow, Terry et al 👍

11 hours ago, useless said:

No thanks to Sean Dyche, he's a similar type to Lambert and Smith in that he's doing okay with a smaller club, we've been down that road before, we need someone who's proven they can handle being the manager of a big club and has had some relative success, Dyche has done okay but really the job he's done at Burnley akin to the job that Pullis did at Stoke, if we really want to progess as a club we have to be aiming for better than that.

Fair enough - but I meant as a minimum - the likelihood is that we will go for the 'Lee Johnson' calibre. 

We fudge the managers position - then try and bolster it in some way - like we tried to cover smiths defensive frailties with JT  

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So managers don't deserve any time? First really bad spell and its get rid?

Say we sack smith and a new manager keeps us up, but then struggles next year do we sack him again?

I fully am behind that a manager earns time. I don't see how anyone can argue that Smith hasn't in his time here so far. 

To be fair we did that regularly under Doug and it was pretty successful. Example: we sacked Little in 1998 after he'd kept us up and then taken us to 4th and 5th in the league, but we were having a woeful season and not far off the relegation places. Appointed Gregory and got to the FA Cup Final a couple of years later and even challenged for the league for a time.

Another example is he appointed Graham Taylor (RIP) who was popular with the fans and had done well in his first spell. It was a disaster and we nearly got relegated and he was gone after one season.

And those were because of bad results. Smith has not only delivered bad results but doesn't even appear to have a plan most of the time. 

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I agree it's not all on him and others will have to go too. But this is a Dean Smith thread so would be a bit out of context to talk about Pitarch, Purslow, Terry et al 👍

True but some have made out like its all on him. It is a Dean Smith thread, but the opinion its not all on him can still be made. 

Â