Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just watched his pre-match interview. Christ he sounds utterly deflated and beaten already , how on earth is he going to inspire the team to victory?

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is page 1234. If this thread reaches page no. 12345, i'll be pissed. 

I would suggest if it reached page 12345, we'll have won some trophies so I wouldn't be upset if it did. That's gotta be Fergie territory as far as length of threads goes.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I would suggest if it reached page 12345, we'll have won some trophies so I wouldn't be upset if it did. That's gotta be Fergie territory as far as length of threads goes.

A fair point. Didn't look at it like that. Roll on 12345!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A fair point. Didn't look at it like that. Roll on 12345!

My guess will be he won't make it to page 1500, or we stay up and he goes past that landmark ..... Or we go down and they stick with him but I'm not sure that will happen.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

My guess will be he won't make it to page 1500, or we stay up and he goes past that landmark ..... Or we go down and they stick with him but I'm not sure that will happen.

There is a good possibility that will happen. There is a view at VP that we got promoted too early - Smith won't be under pressure until a couple of months into next season.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

There is a good possibility that will happen. There is a view at VP that we got promoted too early - Smith won't be under pressure until a couple of months into next season.

It sounds good in theory, and I won't be upset if he's our manager in the Championship. I'll tell you though, we get a couple of good spankings in the next few games and he will be out on his ear because that's just how it works.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

As someone else noted, at the start of the season we would not have thought Nyland, Davis, Hause, Hourihane would be anything more than subs at this stage. It just shows the lack of faith in our summer signings who were supposed to be first choice. 

Or it shows that Heaton and Steer are injured, Wesley is injured, Engels has been struggling with something, and Konsa is covering at right back.

Hourihane's the only one in that list who is starting ahead of fully fit summer signings.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

It sounds good in theory, and I won't be upset if he's our manager in the Championship. I'll tell you though, we get a couple of good spankings in the next few games and he will be out on his ear because that's just how it works.

Yes I would agree. things and minds change with events. But I was told pre lockdown that there is absolutely no appetite to change the manager whatever happens this season. Now that could be bravado or backing the manager - I don't know. I was also told there would be confirmation pretty early that DS would be our manager next season - that may come after relegation in confirmed or if we get said walloping in the next few games.

16 hours ago, useless said:

One thing that made me wonder about Smith was a comment he made about Grealish in training, can't remember the exact quote but said something along the lines of Grealish sometimes speaking up and changing things if a training session wasn't to his liking, it was intended to praise Grealish, but I thought it made Smith come across as quite weak, if you have a player dictating the training.

If Grealish had that much influence over Smith do you think for one moment he would be playing wide.

How long was Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd before he turned them around? Genuine question as it seems a good model to go by as to how long it takes to strongly gel a team together prior to promotion to the Premier League. Wolves did it too, as in got the team gelled and ready for a proper 1st season survival push so how long was Nuno there building prior to them getting promoted?

The one thing i'll give Dean Smith is that we are still in season 1 of this new teams gelling process, and it has been disrupted hugely with injuries to the spine of the team as we all know. So i guess the big problem is if we do not stay up, which looks extremely likely, will we continue building this team & allowing it to gel? Or do we scrap it and start the bedding in process from scratch once again?

The issue for me is we appear to be lacking the right type of players to build a strong enough side for Premier League survival.... Or again is that simply because they have not had enough time to Gel yet? 

This is the thing i struggle with regards sacking Dean etc although i do think when/if we drop we have little option as we will lose the better players regardless. Another reason for me to appoint a big established name who will know exactly what he wants and have the pull to get them to Villa.

16 hours ago, Eastie said:

Grealish shouldn’t be captain - we lack leadership throughout the team and need to be much tougher mentally and physically 

I’d start with replacing Nyland with Reina who looks afraid of his own shadow.

Reina would command much more respect from the Villa players.

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

A year ahead of plan but if we go down we will need to then go straight up to be a year behind plan . 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

A year ahead of plan but if we go down we will need to then go straight up to be a year behind plan . 

Yeah that the dilemma - but I believe the powers at villa are convinced they have the right man in smith.

Edited by hippo

3 minutes ago, striker said:

I’d start with replacing Nyland with Reina who looks afraid of his own shadow.

Reina would command much more respect from the Villa players.

Really not sure about Reina - hes way past his prime - and was always overated IMO.

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Purslow like to call the shots but if Wes and nas decide to ditch smith then purslow will have to do so like it or not - he needs a rocket up his arse too as he is culpable for the situation too as ceo - suso must also go ASAP 

Edited by Eastie

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

but is that a criticism though because there is nothing they can do about that.  They arent going to turn down promotion at the end of last season but it looks like we werent ready for it throughout the club not just players.  We still have 50/50 chance of staying up because a lucky win here or there that doesnt look like happening could, just because our rivals are as bad as us.  A lucky win, scrappy win or many draws and I still think it's going to come down to that final game against West Spam.  That's 3 points up for grabs which in the context of where we all are looks like it may be a winner takes all game.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Purslow like to call the shots but if Wes and nas decide to ditch smith then purslow will have to do so like it or not - he needs a rocket up his arse too as he is culpable for the situation too as ceo - suso must also go ASAP 

No way I want Purslow to go, he is one of the best CEO's we could possibly have.  People just want to throw out people sometimes just because they are frustrated. Maybe some decisions needed to be different, maybe some things need to be changed  but the over reaction on here is too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but is that a criticism though because there is nothing they can do about that.  They arent going to turn down promotion at the end of last season but it looks like we werent ready for it throughout the club not just players.  We still have 50/50 chance of staying up because a lucky win here or there that doesnt look like happening could, just because our rivals are as bad as us.  A lucky win, scrappy win or many draws and I still think it's going to come down to that final game against West Spam.  That's 3 points up for grabs which in the context of where we all are looks like it may be a winner takes all game.

Thing is I am more confident in our rivals getting more lucky wins than us. West Ham are in terrible form - but I would still back them to stay up over us.

Â