Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Problem i see is i don't see where the creativity is coming from.

You would hope whoever is in charge spends the grealish money well - although it’s a big hope when looking at some of the crap we’ve bought 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Are we still talking about Biesla? Is that the guy who bottled automatic promotion and then failed to get to the playoff final, losing to the team smith beat at Wembley? 

That guy? The guy still in the championship? 

If ever there was proof a fancy foreign name appeals to some fans its the fuss made over him while calling smith a disaster. 

Entertaining to read though.

Thats irrelevant. In two seasons he has taken a side that was hopelessly nowhere near promotion to play offs and 2nd in the league.

Biesla is better suited to pl i think. Less games.

And your telling biesla cant set up a defence? He is a better defensive manager than smith. Better oragnised too

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And yet he's still in the championship and just lost 2-0 to Cardiff. 

Would you be happy with that at this point?

Yeah. But they are no longer a nobody mid table club. He has transformed them into a top Championship side.

In comparison Villa were in a play off final the season before Smith took over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Are we still talking about Biesla? Is that the guy who bottled automatic promotion and then failed to get to the playoff final, losing to the team smith beat at Wembley? 

That guy? The guy still in the championship? 

If ever there was proof a fancy foreign name appeals to some fans its the fuss made over him while calling smith a disaster. 

Entertaining to read though.

To be fair Bielsa has a team playing consistently  some very attractive football , no super stars just  a group of players playing as a team. They have been unlucky last couple of seasons but will get promoted this season. Im sure they will also have a plan for the premier league. Crazy to mock such  a successful  coach   they played us off the park at VP  last year and then gave us that walk in goal at Leeds  . he is a great coach very well respected with a good record. I certainly would love a coach of that ilk at Villa.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just a shame he got us promoted. He would have had better support on here if he failed promotion and rather developed the squad from the championship. 

If we hadn't got promoted key players would have gone including Grealish and I suspect Smith would have struggled to get us into the playoff places let alone the top 2 considering we were a shambles when Jack was out for 3 months. 

If that had happened I suspect Smith wouldn't even be here now anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Biesla is better suited to pl i think. Less games.

Good point. I think so too.

Bielsa and Pochettino is like dream land for me. But if Smith goes i expect us to hire another mediocre English coach.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And yet he's still in the championship and just lost 2-0 to Cardiff. 

Would you be happy with that at this point?

If we're using that analogy then we're heading straight back to the Championship after one season in the top flight having played some pretty mediocre football along the way and the player we have been so reliant on all season is on his way out. 

Are you happy with that?

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Good point. I think so too.

Bielsa and Pochettino is like dream land for me. But if Smith goes i expect us to hire another mediocre English coach.

Lack of ambition And poor recruitment of players and managers has held this club back over the years - if we both drop I wouldn’t be surprised if we look at someone like Eddie Howe . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I find it bizarre people can doubt bielsa as a manager

It's because some fans are too proud to take their biases aside when discussing other teams.

If Bielsa was here these same people wouldn't stop praising him.

By the way just checked the stats for their 2-0 loss. 67 % possession and 16-7 in shots. They were wasteful and unlucky. Clearly by far the better footballing team. Cardiff had 2 shots on target and scored 2. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I find it bizarre people can doubt bielsa as a manager - a top class act but not a chance of us getting him now . Leeds  hit the jackpot the day they got him . 

Exactly. There are a few posters on here who seem more in love with Smith than the club. 

He's had less than 2 seasons there and in both campaigns Leeds have played the best football and been in the top 2 most of the season. We didn't even manage that in 3 seasons under 3 different managers and we spent a fortune on transfers and wages.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It's because some fans are too proud to take their biases aside when discussing other teams.

If Bielsa was here these same people wouldn't stop praising him.

By the way just checked the stats for their 2-0 loss. 67 % possession and 16-7 in shots. They were wasteful and unlucky. Clearly by far the better footballing team. Cardiff had 2 shots on target and scored 2. 

If bielsa was here this club would be in a much better situation in every way in my opinion and nowhere near the relegation zone . Sadly , it’s not going to happen though . 

Bielsa is a good manager but he's not withot his faults, as I say as good as he did last season it was ultimately him that undid all his good work by dropping Jansson in the play-offs, which lead to the poor defensive dispaly against Derby and ultimately cost them a place in the play-off final.

And he also has a strange obssession with always playing Bamford no matter what, despite the fact that he must miss more goals than any other player and has cost Leeds countless points, which is another one of his faults he sticks to the same players and is very stubborn about which is what leads to his teams sometimes fading towards the end of the season.

Also can be quite unpredictable, think he's walked out on a few clubs without warning, in fact wouldn't surprise me if he got Leeds promoted, decided he'd done his job and then quit.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha this is crazy. 

The laughable thing is the little club who have decided smith is a disaster are all frothing at the mouth for a bloke who is still in the league below. Having absolutely bottled an automatic spot last year. 

It just sums up this thread brilliantly. 

To defend smith as a manager and attack Bielsa quite frankly makes it pointless to carry on the discussion - it is the most ludicrous thing I’ve read on this forum in many many years  .

Pointless to continue from here on as you have made your position farcical . No offence intended by the way . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

To be fair the season before last Wilder failed to get Sheffield United promoted after them being near the top of the table for much of the season and look at the job he's doing now. Not that I think Bielsa would be doing a similar job with Leeds in the prem, but it's too simplistic to say that because Smith got us promoted last season when Bielsa couldn't get Leeds promoted, that Bielsa wouldn't do a better job than Smith has done.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If bielsa was here this club would be in a much better situation in every way in my opinion and nowhere near the relegation zone . Sadly , it’s not going to happen though . 

Agree. Unless he suddenly leaves Leeds though, it's off the table. He really would get this team playing football and would have more resources at his disposal to bring in players he wants. 

Not without his faults either though I agree. Selling Jansson for so cheap to Brentford was a mistake, but once you're in his bad books that's the end of the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Haha this is crazy. 

The laughable thing is the little club who have decided smith is a disaster are all frothing at the mouth for a bloke who is still in the league below. Having absolutely bottled an automatic spot last year. 

It just sums up this thread brilliantly. 

All we are doing is recognising  Bielsa is a good manger doing a very good job in a tough league with limited funds . The football they play is terrific they have been very unlucky . If im a a member of the"little club"  im just commenting  on villa talk and sharing an opinion on the current managerial  situation. This is what villa talk is about YES?  Share opinions with villa fans some opinions  we will like  some we wont , that is  football!

I personally think Smith is out of his depth and that will not change. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

Why on earth are we acting like we can attract Bielsa? 

It's a pipe dream. 

We are likely to get relegated and Leeds are likely to get promoted. 

No way would he come here.

Â