Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree.

Only if you do the right things, will "time" be relevant.

Klopp needed time, but he too has been doing the right things......RDM wanted time, but the indications are it would have been wasted.

If Dean pursues his philosophy of open football, with disregard for stopping the opposition.....time, will be no help to him, either.

I agree, the next 10 games, will be interesting.....and I would suspect decisions will be made.

I hope he makes it, I really do.

Hmm.

After his first two seasons at Liverpool Klopp finished 8th and snuck 4th last day in the second season.

I reckon you'd have been at his throat if you were a Liverpool fan. "RODGERS GOT US SECOND! THE TEAM AREN'T TRYING"

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The reason Chris Wilder has developed a team that is hard to beat, first and foremost and built on it,  because that is what he set out to do.

I know you're desperate to put Wilder in with the dinosaurs, but he's so so different. Lightyears away from the likes of Pulis and Bruce.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

The reason why more fight has not been put in, is because they don't feel the level of importance or focus.....it doesn't appear to be a priority, with Dean.....like he is not really a results man,either.

The villa manager doesn't want the team to try hard? What on earth are you talking about?

Has he said he's not a results man? Haven't seen that but I can understand if he said he preferred performance. I do as well to be honest.

Would I want to pay to watch Pulis football? No. Would I enjoy supporting a team like Burnley smashing the ball into the air every time they get it and finishing 6th-16th every year? No. I get no enjoyment out of that.

Perhaps you would, and that's OK. Doesn't appeal to me to be honest.

If Smith had some decent players we'd probably have been a lot better this season. With what he's got he's done fairly well despite mistakes. And I say that someone who would probably replace him if we stay up. Don't understand your relentless battering of him.

You were spoilt by promotion and it made you forget how far we've come in such a short space of time. We've been shit for about 8 years and in that time the Premier League has become 10x tougher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This isn't Wigan Athletic. We have wealthy owners who have invested a lot of money.

With bigger clubs comes bigger expectations.

- I didn't expect us to be the worst defensive side in the league. Conceding on average 2 goals per game

- I didn't expect us getting outfought most weeks. Wilder keeps his players motivated and they bleed their hearts out every week. Why don't we? Why don't we put in more of a fight?

- I didn't expect us not being able to string together more than a couple of passes. This to me indicates there's a problem with the coaching.

If you honestly think he's done a good job this season so far i really don't know what to say to you.

I think that is a spot on post and well said.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, useless said:

I think whether people like it or not, he's got these last ten games to save his job, I think there's a good chance that he will do that, but if we're relegated and especially if we're relegated without a fight then I don't think there's any chance of him staying.

Does Smith feel to safe?? What I mean by that is has he once been put under pressure I wonder, by the Owners to get the job done. You'd think that when they offered Smith that contract that there has'nt been a get it done or your job is at risk conversation anywhere. I feel and I'm purely speculating here that if our Owners or Purslow had said look it's time you got your Sh!t together and made this survival happen, if you dont your gone, if they'd of said something to him like that maybe Smith may of ditched the Wingers. Surely Smith isn't that daft to put a whole season down the drain or risk us being in the premier the following season in favour of a formation that we do not have the personnel for or can not play yet, surely the bloke can see what's going on. You'd have to be absolutely bat crazy to keep playing a system you know that's not working, the only thing I can think of is he over believes that our players once they mould can deliver in such a system weve been playing all this time. Then it has me thinking is Smith really going to risk everything on such risks because weve put alot on the line to play in such a way that maybe what was needed is Purslow or the Owners to have that word with Smith to try something else that doesnt cost us our place in this league.

What has me worried most of all and I've seen it mentioned on here by other is who's been calling the shots with signings?? Has it been Jesus, Purslow and Smith or just one of them?? We need to find out if Smith has been getting his men or hasnt he, if Smith's had a list but Suso let's say has signed different then surely that raises questions right?? It's like going to size up for a fitting you know your measurements then someone comes along, namely the partner and tells you what you are, you buy a bunch of clothes, only to find out that most items fit wrongly.

Alot surely has happened this season and the only thing us fans have really found out is no one wants to take the blame for the signings which to me will start to create the division eventually, it always does.

Edited by Dave-R

Whether we stay up or not, I’m 99% sure that this squad will play better over the next 10 games than it did for most of the season.

Young players need time to pause and reflect. The foreign players need time to improve their English, get to know their teammates properly, understand the tactics and the in-game calls.

Dean Smith is no mug. He got dealt a very tough hand. You suspect most seasons he would have been able to make the Tammy Abraham loan a permanent deal. If Purslow had been less hardline on loans, we might have picked up a couple of extra players with Premier League quality to guide us through our first season back.

People bang on about being more organised and showing more work rate, but a lot of that comes from having a squad who’ve played together for a while. Sheffield United had a fantastic core of players and a system that got them promoted and they could reuse in the Premier League.

We got promoted playing attacking 4-3-3 football, and then when Smith tries to continue with that he gets attacked for being naive.

I don’t think his detractors are really doing much other than pointing out the generic faults of any team that has just been promoted and gutted its spine and dressing room leaders. I doubt even a top coach  would have had a good season with this squad, purely because of the age, inexperience, lack of understanding and (frankly) lack of quality.

I’m hopeful that lockdown has given him a chance to turn things around, and maybe get more out of a few key players than he would otherwise have managed. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've said it before but worth saying again. Those not happy with Smith, honestly what were you expecting by this point when he first took over?

I think the realistic thought, would be by now we would be really pushing for automatic promotion at this point in his villa managerial career. 

When actually we've got promoted, reached a cup final and are right in the mix for survival. Its so laughable people who think he is doing a bad job or want him gone. 

Given the investment and freedom he has been given, I expected us to be better off than in the relegation spots with 10 games to go.

But I didn't expect us to be promoted last season and we wouldnt of without Smith so that balances it out a bit.

Really though its all in Smiths hands. I hope he improves tomorrow. That would make me happy. If not I think the club needs to be selfish. Love Smith and love these players, but that only goes so far. If he isnt a Premier league manager then he isnt someone we need. Because this club should be in the top league. 

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Whether we stay up or not, I’m 99% sure that this squad will play better over the next 10 games than it did for most of the season.

Young players need time to pause and reflect. The foreign players need time to improve their English, get to know their teammates properly, understand the tactics and the in-game calls.

Dean Smith is no mug. He got dealt a very tough hand. You suspect most seasons he would have been able to make the Tammy Abraham loan a permanent deal. If Purslow had been less hardline on loans, we might have picked up a couple of extra players with Premier League quality to guide us through our first season back.

People bang on about being more organised and showing more work rate, but a lot of that comes from having a squad who’ve played together for a while. Sheffield United had a fantastic core of players and a system that got them promoted and they could reuse in the Premier League.

We got promoted playing attacking 4-3-3 football, and then when Smith tries to continue with that he gets attacked for being naive.

I don’t think his detractors are really doing much other than pointing out the generic faults of any team that has just been promoted and gutted its spine and dressing room leaders. I doubt even a top coach  would have had a good season with this squad, purely because of the age, inexperience, lack of understanding and (frankly) lack of quality.

I’m hopeful that lockdown has given him a chance to turn things around, and maybe get more out of a few key players than he would otherwise have managed. 

I understand what you are saying I really do and you are right to a degree.

Smith has been dealt such a crap hand, things haven't gone our way from official decisions and VAR. We have also lost players due to injury. Yes theres alot that has happened to an inexperienced squad that has had its first season together. 

Now here comes the sweet part, the real bit that chews me up and annoys me so much with Smith or whoever has been there at the side of our coach. We surely didn't know that thing after thing was going to go wrong, after all no one is by any means a fortune teller or a future man are they. However excuses and reasons aside, Smith new he had an in experienced squad, new this squad was green and as fresh as anything. Smith and Co in charge of our lads must of new that playing such a formation in the way we have been playing was not only a trial by fire but he raised the odds in opposition favour by playing the 4-3-3 with Wingers. 4-3-3 winger wide formation has left us open in the middle of the park, left us light in places we should have players. We have all but wondered why we dont have a working midfield, why we dont string together passes or theres no one there next to the player with the ball as theres to much gaps to be filled, majority of the time our formation is partly to blame.We have all realised that and yet Smith continued to play it. Smith knew we had not got the talent nor the right class to play such a system, yet we carried on playing in such a way that  griefs us all game. If Smith is trying to create a team that can handle all game pressure where we need councillors for our players at the end of the match, then he surely is doing something right this season. Smith should of been trying to create success and have us stay up with this virgin squad, he should of changed his system in favour of a successful season.

You point out many valid reasons as to why patience is needed with this squad KentVillan. But and I say but here, you can not have patience for a Coach who should of firstly made sure that his squad got firing on all cylinders before handing them a task far superior to there capabilitys which so far has cost us big because its survival that were nearly failing at.

Best thing that Smith could of done would of been to try it all out as we did and after a quarter of the season if we was still not making the system and formation work then change it up to something the lads can obviously play. For huge parts of the seasons in many games we should of been the team on top with stats and possession in most game, I was ready to accept that if wouldn't of been as successful because as you pointed out Kent they green at everything. One thing that has been extremely depressing through all of this is how ambitious our lads seem to be, as others have pointed out other clubs who weve faced there players have given there hearts and bled there hearts for there Coach, our hasn't apart from Grealish.

Smith has been to soft to enforce rules, to soft to have the guts to change things in favour of being successful, it's all costing us. Yes our players should be going out there and showing what they can do, Smith though needs to be the man who points them with orders they can actually accomplish. It's not right to give a virgin team a liverpool formation and expect a bunch of Newbies to the premier to make it go work, Smith either had high expectations of his players to make 4-3-3 work or Smith is to ignorant to realise he got it all wrong and form something different to make it work. 

I'm not so sure 4-3-3 will work for these last ten games, I doubt it will, Smith needs to wake up and replace it with something better suited for our players, if he doesn't then see you in the championship. If Smith is going to be this kind of Coach that sets a plan out expect everyone to follow and make it work, then no wonder it's a failing system and were leaking goals. We really should be trying to secure wins here, sexy football must and should be put on the shelf for now, it wont go anywhere but we will if we dont win us some games in this league.

What's the bet that the teams around us will manage to grind some games out no matter if its boring football or its painful to watch. They will do it because they know how important that it is that they are not one of the bottom three. I've said it loads now in this post but we have to prioritize what's important here and we need to be playing Prem football next season.

Edited by Dave-R

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Smith has been dealt a crap hand then what did Lambert? Being forced to recruit from the lower leagues...

He has his own thread where you defend him. Even though Smith football embarrasses you but losing 15-0 in 3 games doesnt including 7-0 over 2 games at home, one to tinpot Wigan who got relegated that season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If Smith has been dealt a crap hand then what did Lambert? Being forced to recruit from the lower leagues...

Let's not do this again. Please don't hijack the thread with the same opinion everyone's read roughly every two pages.

We're all excited for tonight. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Let's not do this again. Please don't hijack the thread with the same opinion everyone's read roughly every two pages.

We're all excited for tonight. 

It'll be all or nothing tonight.

Disappear or into overdrive.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well you're not the only one, I've been calling out Dean since December as have many other posters on here.

Its usually same poster every 3 posts mainly mixed with the odd Villa fan 😉

• Like 1

Not long to see if Smith has actually got what it takes to keep us in this division. I really hope this extended period to reflect has enabled him to realise what it takes to keep us up. Despite what some say, we do have some decent players and are capable of staying up if the basic tactics are correct and if everyone plays to their potential. First off, I hope he has focused on our inept marking from set pieces (please get rid of zonal marking and pick up a man), where we have conceded 18 goals alone. I also hope he has worked on keeping shape off the ball and not allowing teams to breeze through us at will. And I also hope he gets his team selections correct, the amount of times he brings in someone like Elmo or Lansbury or Taylor when it is clear that they are not good enough at this level. I admit I had lost faith before lockdown, this is now a fresh start and will basically feel like a totally new season. 

I've heard some rumours that McGinn might not start this one, that is ridiculous, the guy has had 3 months off and another 3 months to get his fitness back. Not playing for so long doesn't matter as all the other players are in the same boat. So McGinn has to start, preferably with Grealish in the middle. 

Â