Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It’s funny how we see things differently. I think Wesley is our best striker, then Davis with Ally as third choice. Ally may be a more natural scorer at the moment but the others are much younger and the team plays better with Wesley or Davis up front.

Amazed how you can come to that opinion tbh. Samatta has scored a couple already and also showed good movement and anticipation around the box which is sadly lacking from Wes when he played.

There seems to have been a myth developing we were in good form when Wesley got injured. We'd lost 5 of 7 league games and the only goal he scored in that period was the Burnley one.

Edit: 1 goal in his last 13 league starts isn't a good look, we basically disowned Gabby when he was producing stats like that.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Amazed how you can come to that opinion tbh. Samatta has scored a couple already and also showed good movement and anticipation around the box which is sadly lacking from Wes when he played.

There seems to have been a myth developing we were in good form when Wesley got injured. We'd lost 5 of 7 league games and the only goal he scored in that period was the Burnley one.

Edit: 1 goal in his last 13 league starts isn't a good look, we basically disowned Gabby when he was producing stats like that.

I do know what you are saying but stats only tell part of the story, especially with young players. I mean, Davis never scores but he holds the ball up, he is fairly quick, he has good feet and he is as strong as an Ox. He compliments our overall play much better than Ally does, as does Wesley but Alley definitely has more of a goal threat. I just think that Wesley is a better player with better potential. He will come really good subject to injury.

21 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think that Wesley and the loss of him was bad for us, his injury set us back really. We had a team a whole team and then we started to get injury's to our keepers, midfield and forwards, I think it set us back in a way it cost us big time.

It would say something would'nt it if our injurys come back and we all of a sudden at full strength start to pick a few wins up, it would mean that Smith was onto something but before it started to take place it all went topsy turvy.

I do not know about all of you but I am dreading these final games on this season.

If Smith pulls a survival off, we better being in some serious talent one way or another that at least doesn't make survival fights this bloody tough. I at least do not want to be losing to Leeds or Brom if they get promoted, it's already bad enough that they all think that they would of made better with there time in the premier than what we have,we desperately will need to reinforce the squad with much better quality.

We will bring in quality, depending on who we sell we need 3 to 5 high quality players who we can use to get to mid table and safety. Another winger, a big physical midfielder, and probably another CM or CB. If we have a strong core defence, Midfield and attack our lack of strength out wide shouldn't be too big of a deal. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Mings was injured for the previous 4 or 5 games. And mcginn had been struggling with an injury he picked up playing for Scotland. So saying it is Wesley's fault he hadn't scored in the previous 14 games is a bit of stretch. The team had not been performing due to injuries to our 2nd and 3rd best player. And before mings was injured as well we played city, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, wolves and Leicester in that 13 game run. So once again wasn't really Wesley's fault he hadn't been bagging goals. In that period he had like 5 shots. 

16 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Such is my love for this wonderful club. 

But sheepy, i have no doubt of your love of the club....that is not the point.

However teams like Liverpool and Man Utd are where they are through drive and a pursuit of excellence, never accepting mediocrity as inevitable....they love their club too, despite their refusal to accept mediocrity or sub standard results.

The posters like me, have no less love for the club....my wifes family lived at 10 Holte rd, Aston, for c 90 years and grew up staunch supporters....it was ingrained in them and they heard every roar in their living room....so don't tell me about loving the club.

This is about pursuing excellence and not accepting, what we perceive as things holding us back.....some fans just like the day out or the taste of the beefburgers(fine, if that's their bag) I want winning football, and be able to see a drive and determination to get it.I want to see players and manager angry when we lose, and I want to see work that attempts to put it right, when we lose or cock up.

This club is far too famous and revered to be having second rate performances, deemed as "the best we can do".........we have things attached to our name that are not acceptable ( e.g goals against)and those huge clubs aforementioned, would never put up with it, thats one of the reasons why they are, where they are.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TRO said:

But sheepy, i have no doubt of your love of the club....that is not the point.

However teams like Liverpool and Man Utd are where they are through drive and a pursuit of excellence, never accepting mediocrity as inevitable....they love their club too, despite their refusal to accept mediocrity or sub standard results.

The posters like me, have no less love for the club....my wifes family lived at 10 Holte rd, Aston, for c 90 years and grew up staunch supporters....it was ingrained in them and they heard every roar in their living room....so don't tell me about loving the club.

This is about pursuing excellence and not accepting, what we perceive as things holding us back.....some fans just like the day out or the taste of the beefburgers(fine, if that's their bag) I want winning football, and be able to see a drive and determination to get it.I want to see players and manager angry when we lose, and I want to see work that attempts to put it right, when we lose or cock up.

This club is far too famous and revered to be having second rate performances, deemed as "the best we can do".........we have things attached to our name that are not acceptable ( e.g goals against)and those huge clubs aforementioned, would never put up with it, thats one of the reasons why they are, where they are.

It takes time to get to a certain level . We are still a work in progress, admittedly this season hasn't been great, but it was never going to be a stroll in the park, what with all the new personnel on board. You give the impression that the club are not building towards a successful future, of course they are, but these things take times as any successful club will tell you. 

The season is far from over, although by some of the posts on here, you would believe we were already relegated . I have every confidence that the manager will eventually get things right. Of course, the proof will be in the eating.  Roll on Wednesday, I can't wait.

UTV. 

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It takes time to get to a certain level . We are still a work in progress, admittedly this season hasn't been great, but it was never going to be a stroll in the park, what with all the new personnel on board. You give the impression that the club are not building towards a successful future, of course they are, but these things take times as any successful club will tell you. 

The season is far from over, although by some of the posts on here, you would believe we were already relegated . I have every confidence that the manager will eventually get things right. Of course, the proof will be in the eating.  Roll on Wednesday, I can't wait.

UTV. 

I think your posts are noble and there is no doubt of your passion for Villa.

I like you have high hopes of the new administration and I truly hope the manager makes it.

remember, the past is a statement, the future is a question.

I have heard the claims before that we are on the right lines and generally have no option, but to believe them.....my cynicism has been developed, I was not born with it.

I will watch what they do and hope that they do it......but my benchmark will be the little pockets of incremental improvement, that I will be looking for to allow me to think time, will fix it......signing players like John McGinn, gives me encouragement, developing players like Jack, gives me encouragement......we just have to do much more of it.

I am angry with goals against.

I was angry when RDM was presiding over a trait, I despise as amateur.

I am angry now with over 50 goals conceded to date.

Its not about personalities, its about sloppy play and accepting as one of those things or any other lame excuse.

Sam Allardyce, said recently, the teams that will stay up are those that concede the least in the last 10 games.

I think he is right.......whether, i like his football or not.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Sam Allardyce, said recently, the teams that will stay up are those that concede the least in the last 10 games.

Fat Sam is right !!! 

Learn how to defend first and that allows the team to create offence

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd be hugely disappointed in Dean if we continue losing and get relegated meekly, so much so I wouldn't give him a chance to get us back next season.

We were looking like that was going to happen when everything stopped considering we'd lost 4 in a row, put in awful performances in two relegation six pointers and Leicester easily beat us.

Since then we've been given a lifeline with the stoppage which has given him many months to watch videos and see where he's gone wrong this season (looking at how he managed the game in the numerous ones we were leading and didn't even get a point would be a good start) and we also have a key player fit again and ready to go.

Many clueless teams in our position have suddenly hit great form and won 3 out of 4 to stay up....when I was growing up in the mid 90s Coventry and Southampton seemed to do it every season and then in recent times you've had Sunderland and.....Aston Villa (12-13 and 14-15).

I think the next two months will show if Dean has potential to be long term premier league manager. I'm expecting us to go to West Ham on final day with stil a reasonable chance to stay up. Anything else would be a massive failure given the lifeline we've unexpectably been given.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TRO said:

Genius. I'd also say the team that gets the most points are likely to stay up, but I'm weird like that. 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

well, If Deans right, they are just a training ground team.....behind closed doors might suit us.

We'll see soon how much credibility  there is to this claim.

I think our falling this season have more to do with the tactics and system. Will be interesting to see if Dean stays true to his attacking philosophy for the rest of the season or adapt.

We can't keep conceding 20 shots per game if we want to survive. That's for sure.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We'll see soon how much credibility  there is to this claim.

I think our falling this season have more to do with the tactics and system. Will be interesting to see if Dean stays true to his attacking philosophy for the rest of the season or adapt.

We can't keep conceding 20 shots per game if we want to survive. That's for sure.

If we maintain the current system deployed by Smith  we will be relegated very quickly. Open attacking football from a team that cant defend  has been our problem all season. If he dosnt adapt were relegated

When Smith called some of the players training ground players, he's talking about them playing better at the training ground when there's no pressure on them, that doesn't mean to say that they're going to suddenly start playing better at Villa Park just because there aren't any fans there, there wll still be a lot of pressure on them because there's something actually riding on the game, and they will know that they're being watched.

So we might improve hopefully, but it won't have anything  to do with our players being traininig ground players, and I think it's unfar to say that Smith has said anythng like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

If we maintain the current system deployed by Smith  we will be relegated very quickly. Open attacking football from a team that cant defend  has been our problem all season. If he dosnt adapt were relegated

I agree, he needs to adapt the system and do it quickly.  However, there's no point changing the system until he changes the fundamental mistakes we have been making all year....basics....we could have the right system, but until ball retention, movement, even passing a ball, basic defending have been addressed we will go down regardless of what system we play.

Its concerning that non of these 'basics' have been addressed in the 28 games we have played to date.

I've read all year about this 'open attacking football' we play, i wouldn't say we play attacking football......open yes...but not attacking....stats prove that,....goals...goals created...chances....possession....worse stats for any defensive part of the game.....not very attacking when you look in to it.

Time for system changes, formations etc has passed to some extent.....we have 10 games left and its s$%T or bust.....we need to be defensively solid....a couple of wins and draws should see through...however...carry on like before and we might as well start planning for trips to the shower down the road.

Edited by Bazmonkey
spelling

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd be hugely disappointed in Dean if we continue losing and get relegated meekly, so much so I wouldn't give him a chance to get us back next season.

We were looking like that was going to happen when everything stopped considering we'd lost 4 in a row, put in awful performances in two relegation six pointers and Leicester easily beat us.

Since then we've been given a lifeline with the stoppage which has given him many months to watch videos and see where he's gone wrong this season (looking at how he managed the game in the numerous ones we were leading and didn't even get a point would be a good start) and we also have a key player fit again and ready to go.

Many clueless teams in our position have suddenly hit great form and won 3 out of 4 to stay up....when I was growing up in the mid 90s Coventry and Southampton seemed to do it every season and then in recent times you've had Sunderland and.....Aston Villa (12-13 and 14-15).

I think the next two months will show if Dean has potential to be long term premier league manager. I'm expecting us to go to West Ham on final day with stil a reasonable chance to stay up. Anything else would be a massive failure given the lifeline we've unexpectably been given.

To be honest, even if we go down but with much improved performances, I'd still be minded to get rid of him. Time and time again we've had these false dawns under him where we've looked like we're improving only to go back to the same old crap.

Â