Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

Shut up shop for the last 10 games and try to nick a few wins. There's nobody in the stadium to boo them for passing back or not bombing forward all hung up.

Playing defensive savvy football .....is not the same as parking the bus...its a euphemism that is inaccurate.

We can shut teams out and still score goals......the secret is in the turnover.

If we get after them in midfield and turn the ball over, we will be launching attacks.

playing defensive savvy football is not the myth that some would have you believe, it can be very entertaining.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Playing defensive savvy football .....is not the same as parking the bus...its a euphemism that is inaccurate.

We can shut teams out and still score goals......the secret is in the turnover.

If we get after them in midfield and turn the ball over, we will be launching attacks.

playing defensive savvy football is not the myth that some would have you believe, it can be very entertaining.

We need to get the ball down the flanks and knock it in to the man on the back stick

Keeping possession is the secret, Jack holds onto the ball way too much as he is worried we will lose the ball. 

Maybe McGinn coming back will help us as the two of them have a good relationship on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We need to get the ball down the flanks and knock it in to the man on the back stick

Well its funny how that one move alone delivers so much chaos and confusion.

The amount of teams that score from the back post or create assists is amazing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Genius. I'd also say the team that gets the most points are likely to stay up, but I'm weird like that. 

Well, its that much genius, we can't do it, so far this season.

I think you know what he was saying....its not the same as points at all.....He is referring to the approach and its easier to to stop a goal, than create one.

you said it.

Smith is sacked if he doesn't win....just because there's been a break in the games..... the stats don't lie 5 straight defeats. unacceptable.

The ceo and owners arn't mugs.....That new contract he signed must have had clauses in to ditch him with zero pay off for such disgusting performance.

In normal circumstances sacked if we were to lose would be a possibility, but because the fixture list is so jammedpacked then I don' think there would be time for a new manager come in and get his ideas across.

18 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith is sacked if he doesn't win....just because there's been a break in the games..... the stats don't lie 5 straight defeats. unacceptable.

The ceo and owners arn't mugs.....That new contract he signed must have had clauses in to ditch him with zero pay off for such disgusting performance.

He ain’t getting sacked!!

29 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Honestly you have been a consistent critic of Smith for months, I have been a consistent defender. The balance of evidence supports your views not mine.

Sadly I think we are reaching that time. I hope not, I hope we win all our remaining games. But changing manager is one of the very few cards we have left to play if we want to stay in this division.

I agree if we have the same pretty poor performance on weds as we were seeing before this disaster happened then yeah, its probably time for Smith to go or for us to make plans for next year in the Championship. 

I will note in a COVID world I dont see much revenue for non TV based leagues. And as we know all too well, the Championship TV revenues and coverage is pathetic. If we go down its going to be a lot worse than last time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Honestly you have been a consistent critic of Smith for months, I have been a consistent defender. The balance of evidence supports your views not mine.

Sadly I think we are reaching that time. I hope not, I hope we win all our remaining games. But changing manager is one of the very few cards we have left to play if we want to stay in this division.

I agree if we have the same pretty poor performance on weds as we were seeing before this disaster happened then yeah, its probably time for Smith to go or for us to make plans for next year in the Championship. 

I will note in a COVID world I dont see much revenue for non TV based leagues. And as we know all too well, the Championship TV revenues and coverage is pathetic. If we go down its going to be a lot worse than last time. 

If that is the case they will have to suspend FFP until crowds can return. It’s the only fair thing to do and if they do we will be fine

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He ain’t getting sacked!!

Correct he’s going nowhere regardless of what division are in next season. If we can stay up I think you go on and become a management legend at Villa Park. I have never wanted anyone to succeed as much as him with the possible exception of Brian Little. He is a nice guy, he is one of us and I believe once he has found his feet he will achieve greatness in this division.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2020 at 14:39, TRO said:

I am angry with goals against.

I was angry when RDM was presiding over a trait, I despise as amateur.

I am angry now with over 50 goals conceded to date.

Its not about personalities, its about sloppy play and accepting as one of those things or any other lame excuse.

Sam Allardyce, said recently, the teams that will stay up are those that concede the least in the last 10 games.

I think he is right.......whether, i like his football or not.

It's very likely we're going down.

Sam's football is carefully planned out and played by squads built for it.

Smith has been given a gang of below par, over-priced signings from agents try to earn themselves a buck. He's been so up against this season it's untrue, a near impossible task. We didn't have a striker until the end of January.

I can promise you if your pal Steve had been dealt this hand he'd have cried every single week, putting the team away in public, and distanced himself from any criticism. It's been quite pleasant not having a manager bleat empty excuses every week.

If we tried to play Sam's stuff now, we'd get thumped. This lot have no idea how to do it.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

If we're relegated I'd be surprised if he kept his job. In fact I'd be less surprised if he was sacked if we stayed up, than I would be if he kept his job we're relegated. Or in other words If we're relegated I think he will leave and if we stay up it wouldn't surprise me if he left, although I would expect him to stay. But don't subscribe to this idea that he will stay no matter what, if we're relegated he will have failed at this level, and we will want not only a manager that can get us out of the championship but also one that keep us in the prem.

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If that is the case they will have to suspend FFP until crowds can return. It’s the only fair thing to do and if they do we will be fine

Good point. I think this may end FFP forever. I would be happy if it did. It is designed to preserve the status quo which is anything other than fair play!

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Correct he’s going nowhere regardless of what division are in next season. If we can stay up I think you go on and become a management legend at Villa Park. I have never wanted anyone to succeed as much as him with the possible exception of Brian Little. He is a nice guy, he is one of us and I believe once he has found his feet he will achieve greatness in this division.

I’d like to feel the same way but I think he’s out of his depth. When he does leave he will always be remembered fondly for how he got us promoted and how he has always conducted himself.   I think he will manage us until the end of the season and part ways regardless of outcome. Hopefully it’s after keeping us in the league. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Â