Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

We are missing McGinn to be fair. I think back to when we were linked to Kalvin Phillips—I think we would have been in a much better position with him. I agree that the inexperience at CM has put us in a bit of a bleak position. Nakamba and Luiz have both had good games, but they're inconsistent.

SJM has been a massive miss, granted.....but many teams have been decimated by injuries.....its part of the job.

Its all part of the challenges

3 minutes ago, sne said:

2 players of the ones playing regularly this season for us were left when the summer begun. That's unheard of.

I mean we could have any experienced midfielder in the world and it wouldn't work without a goalkeeper and striker. Both also crucial positions.

Again, same with GK and striker.

The sheer amount of work that had to be done in a very short time thanks to the previous regimes Short-sightedness was Herculean, we were never going to get it spot on.

Ok

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was just a generalisation, without specific research......but you recognise they did go in to the doldrums, by there own standards.....that was my point......and how they have drove their way out.

Which emphasises the point that these things can take a long time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm still convinced we'll survive. 4 more wins should be enough ( fingers crossed) and hopefully they will be in the bag before the last game of the season. It Would be nerve shattering to have to win that last game to survive. 

Keep the faith. 

Which 4 specific games do you think we will win of the remaining 13?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Not sure if you’re trolling as always but perspective and attitude are different things. You can have a positive attitude and still be realistic. 

I'm not sure he's trolling this time to be honest, the whole we finished 5th in the championship excuse is a very defeatist attitude. Because with that attitude we may as well pack up and relegated ourselves now. We finished 5th yes but with that attitude it is a waste of time bothering because we've basically given up before we've started. 

The other thing I have noticed recently is how everyone seems to be saying the players aren't good enough, where was these comments when we pushed Spurs close, beat Everton, nearly beat Arsenal, pushed Liverpool as close as anyone has this season, no one was saying the players weren't good enough then were they. Maybe what might be the case is that Smith has been found out, other managers now know if they start with 1 tactic but then make a change during the game Smith either won't spot it or just won't do anything about it. 

Edited by Stuartc445

14 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

I'm not sure he's trolling this time to be honest, the whole we finished 5th in the championship excuse is a very defeatist attitude. Because with that attitude we may as well pack up and relegated ourselves now. We finished 5th yes but with that attitude it is a waste of time bothering because we've basically given up before we've started. 

I’m not sure if that indicates a defeatist attitude. We finished 5th that’s a fact, we also had a huge rebuild in a very short period of time. 

I agree that these facts can’t be used to hide behind, but neither can they be ignored. I’m sure the club would have loved to have had more continuity of playing staff when we were promoted. In fact I think we only retained some loan players, eg. AEG, to retain some continuity. Pundits criticised the volume of players coming in, but that was pure ignorance of our situation. 

If we can stay up we will be in a stronger more stable position. That can’t be ignored either and we must take advantage of this to move forwards. We must always try our best given what we have, but we can’t just pretend that our situation this season is ideal, because it isn’t. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Which 4 specific games do you think we will win of the remaining 13?

Palace, Chelsea, Sheff Utd and the obligatory victory at Anfield. Only kidding with the last one, but you never know. 

I actually think we may win more than 4 but when it comes to my beloved club, I'm all about the optimism. This is not a time for negativity, some would do well to heed that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Palace, Chelsea, Sheff Utd and the obligatory victory at Anfield. Only kidding with the last one, but you never know. 

I actually think we may win more than 4 but when it comes to my beloved club, I'm all about the optimism. This is not a time for negativity, some would do well to heed that. 

They will have won the league and hopefully will have a champions league quarter final game before and after ours. Players will be rested  So you never know.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's not defeatist, it simply shows the monumental scope of the task that was undertaken by the board and Smith. To completely rebuild a team that finished 5th in the Championship into one that could survive in the PL with 140m, if it succeeds would be an incredible success. But that also meant we'd likely find ourselves in a relegation battle, which alas we have. 

Lambert managed to survive with a much worse squad.

Jesus Christ that team was really horrific.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Lambert managed to survive with a much worse squad.

Jesus Christ that team was really horrific.

Yep, which is why I give him more credit than most. He's devolved into an awful manager since then though.

Really cannot see us winning more than three games so we will have to grind out some draws to get the required points - unfortunately it is our inability to do this so far that sees us sitting where we are. It's gonna be bloody close!!

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

4 more wins should be enough

I wished I shared your optimism but I think it's going to be more like 6 wins. Its that close at the moment but ive a feeling that its time for three clubs to start trailing and the gap starts increasing.

Â