Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He is a troll. He said recently his favourite Villa team and it had players that never played together for Villa. Not to mention his Nyland is better than Heaton or Reina bullshit among a billion other bullshit posts

Why anyone even responds is beyond me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He is a troll. He said recently his favourite Villa team and it had players that never played together for Villa. Not to mention his Nyland is better than Heaton or Reina bullshit among a billion other bullshit posts

I think the more anyone says, its easy to pick holes......but he says some things that are valid.

I don't understand how you identify trolls, not sure of the concise definition.

but he does say somethings that are worth considering.

its rare that everything some one says lacks merit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

its rare that everything some one says lacks merit.

I think the definition of a troll would be someone that does fall into that category.

Incidentally,  it's also rare that everything someone says has merit

• Like 1

To all those who are doubting the abilities of Dean Smith - let me ask you a question. 

It appears that Purslow and the owners are going to keep faith with Smith this season regardless. So, if we stay up and finished 17th, would you want to keep Smith or sack him and start next season with a new man in charge? 

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yes i would still sack him. Defensively we are a mess and there are little signs to improvement.

I would go all out for Benitez. He would organize and stabilize us at the back.

If Smith went I'd rather go all out for poc.

I just think no matter where we are next season that Smith will still be here, untill it happens there is no point floating that around, we may as well get behind the guy and support all the way.

Next transfer window should be better for us, we will be able to concentrate on other areas like midfield and bring some decent quality in to play beside Jack, John and Luiz because I think he will really start producing better soon. If we're to carry on this Winger rubbish, then I want to see real quality added there and in midfield next to a couple others, until we do I think we're going yo have trouble the way were playing because there's no consistency in our midfield playing well apart from Jack. Between 2 Wingers, 1 cdm, 3 midfielders it's abit of a wreck at the  moment so no wonder why were struggling in games and the defence and keeper is a strained area most matches, next season should be better and improved.

If we survive, I'd look to sell some players on next season and replace with better, Lansbury, Hogan, Davis, Taylor, Elmo, Ghazi, Jota, sarkic, would be my first choices to make money off. For one reason or another many of those are not working out and can be improved on alot.

Edited by Dave-R

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'd look to sell some players on next season and replace with better, Lansbury, Hogan, Davis, Taylor, Elmo, Ghazi, Jota, sarkic,

Players have to be wanted by another team and not take a pay cut which is why we're stuck with some Bruce big wage signings. Thanks again Potato Head 

I'm not trying to be rude but many posters seem to be living in fantasy land regarding how easy it is to sign players in our current status or offload Championship level players on big wages. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

To all those who are doubting the abilities of Dean Smith - let me ask you a question. 

It appears that Purslow and the owners are going to keep faith with Smith this season regardless. So, if we stay up and finished 17th, would you want to keep Smith or sack him and start next season with a new man in charge? 

That’s a good question. I love Smith and am grateful for everything he has done for the club. But I do wonder at times if he is the man to take us to the next level.  I would never want him sacked but I wouldn’t be upset if the owners opted for a change either.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Players have to be wanted by another team and not take a pay cut which is why we're stuck with some Bruce big wage signings. Thanks again Potato Head 

I'm not trying to be rude but many posters seem to be living in fantasy land regarding how easy it is to sign players in our current status or offload Championship level players on big wages. 

There is always pay off like we did to Ross and Micah right?? if worst thing comes to worse and we cant shift some players then at least getting them off the books is better than keeping them here. They may even take a small pay cut if it's a whole sum straight away.

Not sure how long Hogs, Lansbo and Taylor have left on there contracts, those are the three I'd want to shift as fast as possible if we survive.

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Its a complicated question for me. Whilst I'm also not really convinced Smith has what it takes to bring us up another level. Nevertheless, sacking a manager of a newly promoted team for only having managed to survive relegation is absurd and by doing so he deserves the chance to try at the very least.

Its pretty much my stance with Smith this year in general. I'm not convinced he's good enough but knowing what he's done for us and knowing that we aren't in too bad a position, he deserves the chance to keep the job. But I wouldn't mind it if we did replace him either. Hell, there are times this season where I would've actively welcomed it after certain performances.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Villarocker said:

If the bloke has us survive this season there is no question about it you kind of have to stick with the guy as yet again we'd of improved on the season before.

Now if we drop that's the question I think. In one hand has he's done it already he could take us back up, on the other it could fail it's a 50/50 isn't it.

Survive he has really earnt his chance and I think really that's the sweet spot because he did what was asked of him.

We get rid of Smith though in the championship and who do we then turn to because there's no pulling a Poc or Benitez in that is a fact.

Either way I think the answer is clear and cut, stay with Smith. At most next season Smith may not produce the results he's asked to produce and we do have to say goodbye.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Well, it's pretty much stating the obvious. 

What Villa fan wouldn't be delighted? 

I was talking about Faith, we all have it...so why mention it?

but yes all Villa fans would be delighted if we stay up.

perhaps we are both stating the obvious.

I'd do the exact opposite of anything ^ says. He doesn't have a **** clue. 

I'd keep Deano whatever happens. This is a big longterm club rebuild. We can't change up every time it gets tough. 

In fact we saw last year we got promoted by doing the exact opposite. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think the definition of a troll would be someone that does fall into that category.

Incidentally,  it's also rare that everything someone says has merit

True

I have no appetite for sacking smith, but i would be lying, if i said I am not concerned with our goals against column, and his apparent failure to reverse it.

I hear all the arguments about time and next season, we will be better developed....but I am not convinced that there is a plan for better defensive qualities, I get the impression its seen as a trade off for attacking football, thats his mantra and he will stick to it, very noble, because we all like attacking football, but we will also have to be ready for the consequences.......that worries the be jesus out of me if in facts its true.

He cannot continue with a 49 goals in 25 games record, even the most partisan fan of Dean must be able to see this.

I have to say, with the january window, i can't see it changing, so some how he has to work with what he has got to try and fix it.

I am not sure what the owners will do, if we  go down.

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If he keeps us up there is no doubt in my mind that we should retain him. It would be up there with getting us up in the first place. I don't think some fully appreciate the huge task we faced as a club the second we got promoted. We had two months to overhaul a squad that was in no way prepared for Premier League football. We hand a handful of players that were not ours and another dozen who were either well past their use by date at the top level or were simply never going to be good enough to step up. I know some point to the fact we spent 125 mill on 12 players but that equates to just over 10 mil a player which is no longer a lot of money at this level. We were also looking to change the ethos of the club by signing players with their best years ahead of them with potential to improve and with that obviously comes a lot of risk.

He keeps us up having also achieved the huge bonus of taking us to a cup final he has certainly earned another season and a couple more transfer windows where we will hopefully be looking at adding 5 or 6 players not the over twice that we have had to add since we got promoted. I'd also expect a lot of our players to be better and stronger for having gone through this season. The aim next season would then have to be to again progress and to finish mid table.

I don't really see the point in discussing too deeply what should happen if we go down but barring a total collapse between now and the end of the season I would not be surprised to see him retained and given the chance to again get us promoted.

I'd say getting us up, keeping us up and 2nd in the league cup is amazing, if we turn citeh over and win the cup I'd say that's ridiculously good. I'd say deano is still learning his profession, with the above In mind and where he has come from, you have to say he is a success story. He wasnt a playing superstar who has has the best clubs and budgets handed to him on a plate, as he has said before, he has earned his chance and I'd say well done deano.

........ if we go back down sack the stup... nah, if we go down, he gets a shot at it for me.

• Like 2

Â