Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Which 4 specific games do you think we will win of the remaining 13?

I disagree on the 4 wins. I’m going for 12 wins and a disappointing 3-3 draw at West Ham when we come back from 3-0 at halftime, scoring our third in the 93rd minute to send them crashing out of the PL. 

• Like 1

I've a feeling that our very last game is what will determine if we stay up or go down, With the way we are to inconsistent it looks like it will go down to the last games, especially if others are right along side us on points.

If we're to make this any easier then we have to start making these results count now and start behaving like we want to be in this league next season.

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I disagree on the 4 wins. I’m going for 12 wins and a disappointing 3-3 draw at West Ham when we come back from 3-0 at halftime, scoring our third in the 93rd minute to send them crashing out of the PL. 

bbc two dragon GIF by BBC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I wished I shared your optimism but I think it's going to be more like 6 wins. Its that close at the moment but ive a feeling that its time for three clubs to start trailing and the gap starts increasing.

That would 43pts. 40pts most has been needed once in last 15 odd seasons (that's as far as I went back, got bored probably longer)

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I wished I shared your optimism but I think it's going to be more like 6 wins. Its that close at the moment but ive a feeling that its time for three clubs to start trailing and the gap starts increasing.

If three clubs started trailing then the required amount of wins to stay up would be lower not higher...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

6 wins will put us on 43 points. Way more than enough.

On 04/02/2020 at 20:34, villalad21 said:

What a defeatist attitude.

Is this type of mentality that will get you relegated.

Would you say the same if we go down?  "Persepective. It's fine we were expected to"

He's just saying relegation was always a high possibility from the moment we won the play off final, given how we got there...

1. (as the outsider coming up on the rails), 2. our 'style' (attack first), and 3. the stuttering team/club cohesion (slowly forming, but always likely to fluctuate, given the massive player churn and subsequent injuries to key players).

You are kidding yourself if you thought anything else was likely. And before you say it, yes, Sheffield United have done brilliantly, but their rise has been natural and cumulative.

They face little expectation, thrive on being underdogs, have great balance to their playing squad and an excellent coach who has built his team and stuck with them through the lower leagues before taking them to where they are now.

It's quitters like you, who sh*t your pants and call for sackings at the first sign of trouble. who get clubs relegated.

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He's just saying relegation was always a high possibility from the moment we won the play off final, given how we got there...

1. (as the outsider coming up on the rails), 2. our 'style' (attack first), and 3. the stuttering team/club cohesion (slowly forming, but always likely to fluctuate, given the massive player churn and subsequent injuries to key players).

You are kidding yourself if you thought anything else was likely. And before you say it, yes, Sheffield United have done brilliantly, but their rise has been natural and cumulative.

They face little expectation, thrive on being underdogs, have great balance to their playing squad and an excellent coach who has built his team and stuck with them through the lower leagues before taking them to where they are now.

It's quitters like you, who sh*t your pants and call for sackings at the first sign of trouble. who get clubs relegated.

They have a coach that get them fighting like dogs in every game.

Half the time we don't look to even care. Getting outworked, not doing the basics.

And i'm sorry you don't need 3-4 years with a squad to get them riled up for a game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They have a coach that get them fighting like dogs in every game.

Half the time we don't look to even care. Getting outworked, not doing the basics.

And i'm sorry you don't need 3-4 years with a squad to get them riled up for a game.

You usually do unless you get really lucky with the way the players in the squad gel. 

I'm a Dean Smith fan and glad that we have a Villa fan as manager. 

I think the amount of players we've had to turnaround at the club is the reason for the position we are in. Had we come up with a fairly balanced squad of players and just had to add a few then we would probably have been better. We've also been unlucky with injuries to key players. 

If we go down then so be it, there's nothing we can do about it. We just need to hope we come straight back up and, with the squad we have, we should be able to. 

There's one thing I will agree on with Villalad21 and that is, the Villa team seems to lack a bit of fight as a unit. Is that the coaching staff or just the type of players they have? Smith has mentioned time and again how they asked the players to get more physical with their opponents so the main man sees it. Maybe the players just don't that about them?

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s ever a lack of desire from our players. They always give it their all. It’s just such is the quality in this league it’s fine margins. Going away to Bournemouth can be a very difficult game and has been for the past 3 seasons.  They were just the better team on the day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think there’s ever a lack of desire from our players. They always give it their all. It’s just such is the quality in this league it’s fine margins. Going away to Bournemouth can be a very difficult game and has been for the past 3 seasons.  They were just the better team on the day. 

You could say Newcastle got a poor squad.

Bruce barely even had a pre season with them yet he is doing better than us.

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They will have won the league and hopefully will have a champions league quarter final game before and after ours. Players will be rested  So you never know.

Hopefully he plays the kids again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

If you like how Steve Brexit manages that much, go and support his new team.

No i don't.

I'm just pointing out a coach doesn't really need years with a team to make them gel.

Bruce and Rodgers only needed a few months. This "Smith needs years with the team" in not a valid argument or excuse.

Listen. No one is expecting this team to set the league on fire. But the minimum expected is them to be fighting for every ball. To do the basics. Too many times this season we've been outworked.

Edited by villalad21

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You could say Newcastle got a poor squad.

Bruce barely even had a pre season with them yet he is doing better than us.

The same squad that stayed up for the past 3 seasons?

Why don’t you do us all all a favour and go and support Newcastle if you’re so impressed with them.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No i don't.

I'm just pointing out a coach doesn't really need years with a team to make them gel.

Bruce and Rodgers only needed a few months. This "Smith needs years with the team" in not a valid argument or excuse.

Listen. No one is expecting this team to set the league on fire. But the minimum expected is them to be fighting for every ball. To do the basics. Too many times this season we've been outworked.

They took over the same bloody team! A team that had been playing together for years.  Why can’t you grasp that? 

This is not a defence of Smith. It’s the facts! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Players not being together for years is not a valid excuse for not putting in the effort in every game.

You can't keep pushing every issue under the blanket Vive. Just because we got a lot of new players. 

I've had this feeling for a long time. I think Smith is too soft with them.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Â