Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm still convinced we'll survive. 4 more wins should be enough ( fingers crossed) and hopefully they will be in the bag before the last game of the season. It Would be nerve shattering to have to win that last game to survive. 

Keep the faith. 

I think 4 more wins will definitely be enough.

Assuming we don't lose every game we don't win, so there's a couple of draws in there, I actually think 3 wins will be enough.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No i don't.

I'm just pointing out a coach doesn't really need years with a team to make them gel.

Bruce and Rodgers only needed a few months. This "Smith needs years with the team" in not a valid argument or excuse.

Listen. No one is expecting this team to set the league on fire. But the minimum expected is them to be fighting for every ball. To do the basics. Too many times this season we've been outworked.

Holy shit. Really?

You somehow think that Bruce inheriting an experienced premier league team that have been together for years who happen to have been coached by a manager who's style is very similar to how Bruce's teams play is comparable to what Smith has had to do here??? 

Wow!

You have been against Smith from day 1, now you are really clutching at straws using Bruce's Newcastle as a stick to beat him with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

You have been against Aston villa from day 1, have nothing positive to say, have a "joke" Fulham badge as your avatar and generally offer no debate or anything positive, just snipes in every thread

FTFY

Seriously though if you get this little enjoyment from villa then walk away for a bit, it's no good for you villalad

Edited by villa4europe

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Holy shit. Really?

You somehow think that Bruce inheriting an experienced premier league team that have been together for years who happen to have been coached by a manager who's style is very similar to how Bruce's teams play is comparable to what Smith has had to do here??? 

Wow!

You have been against Smith from day 1, now you are really clutching at straws using Bruce's Newcastle as a stick to beat him with.

"Premier League experience" is such an overrated concept.

What PL experience do Sheffield United have? What PL experience do Wilder have?

My stance on Smith has nothing to do with this discussion.

I'm am saying new players not being together for years is not a requirement for them not to put in the effort and fight in every game.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm am saying new players not being together for years is not a requirement for them not to put in the effort and fight in every game.

Except Sheffield have been together for years.

It's very easy for heads to drop with an inexperienced team. The pace and intensity of the premier league is an eye opener for anyone who has not played in it before, where a new player comes into an established team it is different as they can rely on their team mates. When their team mates are struggling in the same manner as ours are then it is many times more difficult.

As an alternative , if the players have been together a long time (a la Sheffield), they know what to expect from each other.

We have neither of those situations. Survival is the aim form this year.

As for your comments about your views on Smith having nothing to do with it, bollox. Your views on Smith cloud everything you write on here. It's like a crusade, and it's boring.

Maybe you would feel more at home on the Fulham forum. No idea why a "Villa fan" would have a Fulham Crest as their avatar, even as a "joke" 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

No idea why a "Villa fan" would have a Fulham Crest as their avatar, even as a "joke" 

I never actually noticed that until now you know.

Secret Fulham fan/troll? Or is the joke supposed to be "doing a Fulham"?🤔

Yeah i am fully expecting this "players not been together" excuse to last a long time.

Didn't realize a team have to be together for years to put in 100 % effort every game. But thanks for the insight.

There is no point trying to point out glaring issues when fans hide behind this excuse every time criticism is raised.

Edited by villalad21

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That would 43pts. 40pts most has been needed once in last 15 odd seasons (that's as far as I went back, got bored probably longer)

I understand what your saying I do, yet that was fifteen season where there was a clear cut picture in who was going to be relegated, well at least two clubs the third may of been able to of pulled an escape off at most. This season however has lots of clubs going at it, it's a very different season to the ones before and I just think this season is going to go down to the wire.

I hope your right however and it is just four wins that then means we have less of a task in front of us.

Football this season is much different to the seasons before, it's like it has changed, when you have every one beating everyone and it's this tight half way down right to the bottom it's very tough to say it's going to take the usual amount of games to secure survival.

We need to put our foot on the gas and start gaining points, I think we've been to relaxed as it is and it's about time we woke up and shown these clubs and league we are here and were staying put.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe he has a second club he likes, some people do that you know.

As someone pointed out other day, it's healthy to debate and talk through everyone's different points, imagine if we all had the same view, it'd be very boring round here would it not??

Personally I like reading all the different views between you all, especially when they do get abit heated about the actual topic, yet there is no need to wind one and other up, let's keep it to the topic as its then enjoyable. 

Edited by blandy
mod edit removing quoted text and some content
  • Like 3

Back to Smith- I think if worst comes to worst that the Owner will go with Smith for as long as they can. Our owners will be hoping for survival, yet if it doesn't happen I think they will stay with Smith, at most for a season back in the championship to see if he can bring us back up. If Smith does manage to bring us back up which im sure he will, then our squad will surely be a much more refined squad capable of not only promotion but very capable of surviving together in the premier a second time around. We have been to inpatient with manager over the decades and it brought us to the mess we had been in when we got relegated. If we get relegated this season, it won't mean we are in a mess, it just means we need more time to get this squad proper and right.

Changing Smith I'm not sure is the answer, good clubs these days are built on loyalty and patience and I don't see anyone out there apart from top quality managers/Coaches like Poc who could do better here.

Our players at the moment are lacking fire, they lack that blood hound instinct that other clubs do have, Relentless stalking of the ball is also missing and we need both in our players. We really do need our players to be a bunch of stalking blood hounds who want that ball and will do anything to get it. Weve had players this season put out because of that type of player and its about time that we ourselves got a little nasty in this league as there are to many teams prepared to go to the lengths we are not.

Edited by blandy
as above
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Obviously work rate has nothing to do with experience, but...

...you are contradicting yourself a bit.

FWIW I agree that it’s an overrated concept.

I can appreciate your effort levels.

Pass it to the players please.

• Haha 3

On 05/02/2020 at 17:45, sheepyvillian said:

Which emphasises the point that these things can take a long time. 

Yes.

but you need to be on the right lines/ path too....that is still to be established imo.

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

"Premier League experience" is such an overrated concept.

What PL experience do Sheffield United have? What PL experience do Wilder have?

My stance on Smith has nothing to do with this discussion.

Fwiw i think you make a valid point.

I don't see your comments as Anti villa or negative, i see them as valid concerns, for our club

We all have our moments when frustration gets the better of us, but i think you make some points we should all heed.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 18:18, Stuartc445 said:

I'm not sure he's trolling this time to be honest, the whole we finished 5th in the championship excuse is a very defeatist attitude. Because with that attitude we may as well pack up and relegated ourselves now. We finished 5th yes but with that attitude it is a waste of time bothering because we've basically given up before we've started. 

The other thing I have noticed recently is how everyone seems to be saying the players aren't good enough, where was these comments when we pushed Spurs close, beat Everton, nearly beat Arsenal, pushed Liverpool as close as anyone has this season, no one was saying the players weren't good enough then were they. Maybe what might be the case is that Smith has been found out, other managers now know if they start with 1 tactic but then make a change during the game Smith either won't spot it or just won't do anything about it. 

I think the players are inconsistent, Stu.

but your comments, can't be ignored.

I hear Dean acknowledge our lack of aggression in certain games, but don't see an incremental improvement with it, or players coming in with that intrinsic ability to help us.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is a troll. He said recently his favourite Villa team and it had players that never played together for Villa. Not to mention his Nyland is better than Heaton or Reina bullshit among a billion other bullshit posts

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yes.

but you need to be on the right lines/ path too....that is still to be established imo.

Last year we were in the Championship, now we're in the Premier, I'd say we're on the right path. And I'm pretty certain we'll still be in this league next season. That for me will be progress. Sure things could be better, a lot better maybe, but what's needed at these crucial moments is positivity, as you constantly reminded me when Mr Bruce was at the helm and things were a lot worse then. It's important to have faith, sometimes it can be of benefit, imo. 

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Last year we were in the Championship, now we're in the Premier, I'd say we're on the right path. And I'm pretty certain we'll still be in this league next season. That for me will be progress. Sure things could be better, a lot better maybe, but what's needed at these crucial moments is positivity, as you constantly reminded me when Mr Bruce was at the helm and things were a lot worse then. It's important to have faith, sometimes it can be of benefit, imo. 

I will be delighted if we stay up.

faith is important, we wouldn't buy season tickets if we didn't have faith....its something that goes with the territory.

Edited by TRO

Â