Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

The game was almost a copy of the game at VP.

Don’t agree with this at all - the game at VP we had two horrific errors to gift them goals and otherwise we played ok. The return match we were frankly poor in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't recall the dark period for Liverpool. Whilst Paisley was manager, the only time they finished lower than runners up was the year, 80/81,when we were crowned champions. You can't compare their so called dark period to ours. What we've been through was reminiscent of the Heath winter of 74,total blackout. 

Maybe its the way, i have written it......the dark period came after Paisley, under several managers.

I wasn't comparing their dark period with ours.....I was merely highlighting their drive not to accept second best, that they strive to be the best....probably much more than most clubs.

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Don’t agree with this at all - the game at VP we had two horrific errors to gift them goals and otherwise we played ok. The return match we were frankly poor in my opinion.

And made 2 errors, much the same.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he did bring in drinkwater for that, our biggest problem is composure, nervous energy, the atmosphere often doesn't help and that worries me if we do get to the last couple of games still fighting

luiz and nakamba seem to be our worst offenders, both IMO have a good player in there they just need confidence and to find their feet, hourihane and Lansbury have games pass them by too often

the defence is a movement in front of them thing, if no one shows they lump it forward, the change to a 5 helps because the wide men offer an out ball

im not sure if lack of movement is purely a villa thing, we've had it for nearly a decade now

I am not sure Drinkwater is the answer......we have 5 midfielders without the ability to dominate....we buy the wrong types imo.

so many pundits say we are too eady to beat and thst is part of the problem.

you are not wrong about the lack of movement, but nevertheless its an indictment on our club.

another thing, its quite common for the teams who have the most conceded goals are those that go down.....i hope we are an exception.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not sure Drinkwater is the answer......we have 5 midfielders without the ability to dominate....we buy the wrong types imo.

im hoping drinkwater just isn't as jittery and can hold some hands / talk others through games, a huge part of us losing the ball is simply composure

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Brilliantly concise? No thanks.

”Smith needs to pick a team that can play” - wow, great advice

”poor team run by a poor manager” - very insightful

”I expected us to at least show that we can compete on our day” - we have on many occasions mixed it with the best and just fallen short 

”the constant formation changing and rotating of players” - that’s called flexibility and squad management.

“Smith got lucky last season” - Ahhh I see, so the most consistent winning streak in our history was “luck” but if things go awry he’s a shocking manager and not “unlucky”

That entire post reeks of someone who has no appreciation for the massive turnaround since Smith joined nor for the incredibly competitive league we are in nor for the massive overhaul Smith was left to do in the summer and the difficulties that come with that. 

We have conceded nearly 50 goals in 25 games.

do we just sweep that under the carpet as a statistic of joining this big league.....I don't think so.

I think Bazmonkey, said some brave things on here, which was worth considering.

the bit about poor manager is a bit harsh.....but he certainly needs to tighten us up, if we have any notion of staying up.

we are too easy to score against mate.

I fail to get excited with a team that has that statistic, despite having some exciting moments along the way, moments are not an indication of progress, consistency is....the team is unreliable and inconsistent.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im hoping drinkwater just isn't as jittery and can hold some hands / talk others through games, a huge part of us losing the ball is simply composure

Personally, i think physicality plays a big part......that is not always size, its the ability to be first to the ball and go in with gusto.

However a big powerful DM with an appetite to tackle,would have helped

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

We have conceded nearly 50 goals in 25 games.

do we just sweep that under the carpet as a statistic of joining this big league.....I don't think so.

I think Bazmonkey, said some brave things on here, which was worth considering.

the bit about poor manager is a bit harsh.....but he certainly needs to tighten us up, if we have any notion of staying up.

we are too easy to score against mate.

I fail to get excited with a team that has that statistic, despite having some exciting moments along the way, moments are not an indication of progress, consistency is....the team is unreliable and inconsistent.

We can agree on the fact that that is too many goals to be conceding. But of all of the 20 premier league clubs, if I had to guess which club/s would be conceding a lot of goals, I’d guessing the lowest ranked newly promoted side with a completely new look defence and a manager that favours attacking football. 

Perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Maybe its the way, i have written it......the dark period came after Paisley, under several managers.

I wasn't comparing their dark period with ours.....I was merely highlighting their drive not to accept second best, that they strive to be the best....probably much more than most clubs.

The dark period came after Dalglish resigned, who, by the way, succeeded Fagan, who in turn, succeeded Paisley. Their so called dark period came long after Paisley. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Personally, i think physicality plays a big part......that is not always size, its the ability to be first to the ball and go in with gusto.

As crazy as this sounds, I would have taken one of those over another striker (If it was one or the other)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As crazy as this sounds, I would have taken one of those over another striker (If it was one or the other)

I'm quite sad that Sander Berge ended up at Sheffield U

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What a defeatist attitude.

Is this type of mentality that will get you relegated.

Would you say the same if we go down?  "Persepective. It's fine we were expected to"

Not sure if you’re trolling as always but perspective and attitude are different things. You can have a positive attitude and still be realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People seem to be completely ignoring the fact that Man CIty aside, defensively we've improved greatly over the last month or so. Since the turn of the new year, Burnley, Leicester (twice), Brighton, and Watford, have all failed to score more than once against us, which doesn't look like the greatest achievement at first glance, but when you consider that previous to that we were conceding two goals or more pretty much every game, it's a massive improvement. In fact, we can probably thank our improved defence that we're outside of the relegation zone and in the cup final.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Yep....our team is absolutely crying out for a Ndidi/Fabinho type physicality of CDM. We are still a soft touch in this area and never have a player who exerts their authority here. Power and pace, imo, two of the most important attributes for a good PL player. Unfortunately, in the midfield and the attacking thirds we lack both. 

• Like 1

Now it's clear why we were so "lethargic" against Bournmouth.

The players were off on their jollys, all booked up and on the proverbial  beach already...... and they've not been shy in letting the fans know on social media.....shocking!

This is where a disciplinarian like fabio cappello would come in handy. Nice guy smith is out of his depth handling these millionaires. he's used to former hod carriers and plumbers going to blackpool for a weekend on the lash. easier to say no to those mugs.

extra training and ice baths is what we want to see after going down without a whimper against a joke of a team who's badge looks like andy carrol when he's lost his hair band.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

Now it's clear why we were so "lethargic" against Bournmouth.

The players were off on their jollys, all booked up and on the proverbial  beach already...... and they've not been shy in letting the fans know on social media.....shocking!

This is where a disciplinarian like fabio cappello would come in handy. Nice guy smith is out of his depth handling these millionaires. he's used to former hod carriers and plumbers going to blackpool for a weekend on the lash. easier to say no to those mugs.

extra training and ice baths is what we want to see after going down without a whimper against a joke of a team who's badge looks like andy carrol when he's lost his hair band.

Our players start losing and holidays is what they get. While it does look like they have been doing hard work, they shouldnt be rewarded for losing games by being allowed to go on holiday and give time off if that's what's happening. Our players should maybe have a couple days at most and back to it, they need to learn and figure things out and its clear with results that there's still much work to do, so really they should be in on this break off from games training and practising because Spurs game and Southampton plus come to think the rest of our season is only going to get tougher.

In my eyes this isn't being prepared, it certainly isnt soon as the chance there's a break in football they are off on holiday, I hope they are back training come a couple days time and back at it. I dont think there's many of us that will be impressed with them if they have the most of this break off when they could be doing all they should be doing to cement our place in this league.

There are already alot of signs to suggest our lads already don't want this league enough compared to other teams, that we make way to many mistakes, make to many poor decisions, that we don't put away most our chances. 

It's starting to look like Smith is being way to soft on our players, doubt some of the other managers or coaches will be allowing there players this time off when the league is already close in certain positions, they will say to there players your time will be at the end of the season for holidays.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Â