Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think he seems lost at the moment. Said it before but I think JT had more involvement than we think even if it was having the respect of the players. 

I really want it to work out for Dean, and I've not seen any name mentioned that I'd prefer.

5 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I think he seems lost at the moment. Said it before but I think JT had more involvement than we think even if it was having the respect of the players. 

I really want it to work out for Dean, and I've not seen any name mentioned that I'd prefer.

i wonder if that's who the board would get in to replace Smith  ?

5 minutes ago, jim said:

It isn't just a few games. We have been dire for most of 2021 with just over a point per game average.

We have won 7 in 29, but yeah lets stick with Smith just because.

Just Because!!!!?!??!!

You guys are f***ing killing me. 

He's met every challenge set for him since he joined. Every. One. despite a core of our fan base (we all know) desperately wanting him to fail so that they can be proven right when they said he was the wrong appointment. 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

i wonder if that's who the board would get in to replace Smith  ?

Oh dear god no. A guy with zero experience should not get a PL job. Or at least not this job. Happily see him take the Newcastle job thou, sure they'd get relegated.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Lets say that they are not and that this has been brewing for a while internally. As an example. And that the manager tinkering and shift in coaching staff as unsettled the squad.

It's always the players fault when it comes to a popular manager being under the cosh. Say though if the players just don't believe in what they are being told or instructed to do? This is when fractures start to appear, similar to now imo. 

It's also okay to say let Smith rein it in but has Smith contributed by allowing players to go at each other too much. To the point ill discipline has now taken over??? Not saying this is the case but it could be. 

Yeah good post, absolutely no disagreement there. I’m saying that if there’s unrest in the dressing room because of bad management, as opposed to unrest in the dressing room because of McCormack-type bad eggs, then those two scenarios are different. I disagreed with villalad who said a manager who has unrest needs to go straight away. I disagree with that. Depends on why.

We should have bought two new central midfielders in The Summer along with Bailey and Buendia. It was absolutely doable with the money we have, I'm sure of it. To not sign one central midfielder is absolutely reckless and we deserve to be where we are. That isn't on Smith. The daft 3-5-2 formation is, mind. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If someone was to come in they have to be better and with experience. 

If he is better than Smith then we don't need the experience, it would be a bonus but once the next manager is better than the incumbent, that is the main thing.

29 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I mean how can konsa walk for a tackle like that but bowen doesn't walk for sending a villa player flying by pushing him, that's straight red for me instant without thinking on it as it's assault. If I did that to someone you'd be bet assured police would be on scene putting your hands on someone like that.

Did you miss the Hause tackle?

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

We should have bought two new central midfielders in The Summer along with Bailey and Buendia. It was absolutely doable with the money we have, I'm sure of it. To not sign one central midfielder is absolutely reckless and we deserve to be where we are. That isn't on Smith. The daft 3-5-2 formation is, mind. 

Tbf I think that was in large parts down to having Trez, Traore and Bailey injured for most of the season and Buendia away in South America. Then again I feel he's trying to shoehorn both Ings and Watkins into the team which has not worked.

And as mentioned Targett doesn't work for this, it needs Young, or preferably someone better.

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

We are , 5 wins in 27 is the stat I saw earlier in this thread and conceding 2 or more goals game after game - only Norwich IMO look worse than us and maybe Newcastle , but the latter obviously will recruit a new boss and through millions at it in Jan.

in our last 27 PL games we have 8 wins, 6 draws and 13 losses, averaging 1.11 points per game.

In 2021 (as a calendar year), we have played 34 PL games, won 11, drawn 6 and lost 17, with a PPG avg. of 1.15.

So far this season we are averaging 1 point per game (aka - a 38 point season)

So basically, our 2021 average performance, puts us somewhere between a 42/43/44 point season, at best.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Im starting to get fed up with these points to be honest. We got promoted 3 years ago and stayed up 2 years ago. We’ve been absolutely dire this season apart from the United game and Everton. And the second half of last season was also poor.  It’s been 10 games this season where I’m watching us and still don’t know how we’re trying to play or what our tactics are. We have no patterns of play, can’t defend, can’t maintain possession. And now I’ve found myself putting hope in the fact Leon Bailey might change our fortunes, we shouldn’t be a one man team.  Emi Buendia was signed for 38 million and I’m not sure any of our coaching staff know what he does best, no one makes runs when he gets the ball. That football insights analysis of him on Twitter makes it clear why we’re not getting the best out of him. Why on earth did Young come on for Ramsey yesterday, chuk and Aaron Ramsey were on the bench, use them. Im past putting the blame on poor ref performances or VAR and the rest, we don’t look like a team. Last night felt like a huge turning point watching us get blown away. Fridays huge, but even a win against Southampton won’t fill me with confidence in where we’re going under Smith. 

All good points tbf. Bringing on Young was daft, I have to agree. If the reason we didn't sign a midfielder in the Summer was because we didn't want to block the path to the first team for Chukwuemeka, then why the hell aren't we using him when we could? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

All good points tbf. Bringing on Young was daft, I have to agree. If the reason we didn't sign a midfielder in the Summer was because we didn't want to block the path to the first team for Chukwuemeka, then why the hell aren't we using him when we could? 

It was a negative sub, they’d be better off playing in the under 23s than sat on our bench. 

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Im starting to get fed up with these points to be honest. We got promoted 3 years ago and stayed up 2 years ago. We’ve been absolutely dire this season apart from the United game and Everton. And the second half of last season was also poor.  It’s been 10 games this season where I’m watching us and still don’t know how we’re trying to play or what our tactics are. We have no patterns of play, can’t defend, can’t maintain possession. And now I’ve found myself putting hope in the fact Leon Bailey might change our fortunes, we shouldn’t be a one man team.  Emi Buendia was signed for 38 million and I’m not sure any of our coaching staff know what he does best, no one makes runs when he gets the ball. That football insights analysis of him on Twitter makes it clear why we’re not getting the best out of him. Why on earth did Young come on for Ramsey yesterday, chuk and Aaron Ramsey were on the bench, use them. Im past putting the blame on poor ref performances or VAR and the rest, we don’t look like a team. Last night felt like a huge turning point watching us get blown away. Fridays huge, but even a win against Southampton won’t fill me with confidence in where we’re going under Smith. 

And then Mid table last year. Continuous improvement. You are fed up of people using continuous improvement over the last three seasons as a reason to justify giving DS the opportunity to fix the season, which is 10 games old?

28 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My opinion, he's more than earned the right to work through some poor form. He was up for Manager of the month in September, now people want rid.

Manager of month contender one month, 3 pts off the relegation the next month and on the verge of the sack.

That's football.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Manager of month contender one month, 3 pts off the relegation the next month and on the verge of the sack.

That's football.

TBF we're only 6 points off Europe. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Just Because!!!!?!??!!

You guys are f***ing killing me. 

He's met every challenge set for him since he joined. Every. One. despite a core of our fan base (we all know) desperately wanting him to fail so that they can be proven right when they said he was the wrong appointment. 

I do get what you’re saying but you’re  coming across as just as extreme but at the opposite end of the spectrum. He isn’t above Villa. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Have to say, convinced myself otherwise because of how much credit the powers that be had built up but I found the ESR and JWP pursuits to be quite amateurish.

Beyond that, was weird how often we were linked to assorted midfielders without signing a single one.

• Like 1

Â