Dean Smith

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The recruitment over the summer was horrendous and it is really starting to show. I have no idea what on earth they thought they were trying to achieve. 

Huge struggle from here. Buckle up for a relegation dog fight. 

I didn't get the recruitment either tbh, Ings was very strange, if we had brought a younger player I could have seen it but his age and quality was always going to force us into playing him.

Bailey I can sort of get as far as a Grealish replacement but he was never going to be as good not straight away anyway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

However, I do think Deano may get two more games yet though. Lose to Southampton and Palace and he is gone, nobody survives six losses on the bounce after the millions that have been spent.

The problem with that is that the international break is in between the Saints and Palace games. It would make more sense to sack him after the Saints game and replace him during the break rather than waiting till the Palace game

I think Dean has banked a lot of good will with the owners. I think they'll retain him for now, and even if we lose next game.

But if they haven't prepared a new manager list already, they will be now.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The problem with that is that the international break is in between the Saints and Palace games. It would make more sense to sack him after the Saints game and replace him during the break rather than waiting till the Palace game

Yeah you are probably right, that makes more sense. I hadn’t taken into account the international break.

Will be amazed if he is still in charge against Southampton. At the moment it’s hard to choose three teams that we can finish above of. We have lost 60% of our fixtures despite having a fairly easy start to the season. It’s time now.

Just now, maqroll said:

The last 15 minutes vs Wolves has changed everything. Devastating. 

I don't think it has, I think it has highlighted the issues but it is not what is defining the lack of confidence in Smith. We don't have a system and don't play as a team. We have been like this for nearly all of 2021. Yes, we have had some good games but overall we are very poor this calendar year

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Looking back at the managers that have gone since I was a kid, I think this would be the first one to genuinely upset me, I'd absolutely love for him to turn it around and continue to succeed here.

Same. I'd genuinely be gutted as I loved the fact last season we had a Villa fan as manager and a Villa fan as captain and star player. It gave us a great identify. I don't want us to be another faceless corporate Premier League team with a revolving door of overseas managers or players. Like Watford or Wolves. Who can relate to that? 

I really hope Smith turns it around. 

• Like 3

Just now, M_Afro said:

Will be amazed if he is still in charge against Southampton. At the moment it’s hard to choose three teams that we can finish above of. We have lost 60% of our fixtures despite having a fairly easy start to the season. It’s time now.

I want Smith gone I wouldn't call it fairly easy. Average, maybe even slightly more difficult than average.

Yep, we are in trouble now.

Atleast showed some fight with 10 men and although we were poor the formation suits us much better.

Rice has become some player but ultimately we didn’t look like doing anything at any point.

Im going to say it’s a loss against a clearly better team which is very generous.

5 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

The most concerning thing at the moment is that we have no system, and nobody seems to know their roles. Each week we look like a team of strangers who haven’t played together before.

We don’t play as a team. Individually, West Ham are better than us but as a team they are miles ahead of us. 

Injuries haven’t helped but the sum of a good team of players should be greater than its parts; at the moment we are the complete opposite of that. 

Until this fundamental issue is addressed, and whether Dean can address it or not is starting to concern me, we’ll continue to struggle.

We look helter skelter out there lately. No shape, no impetus, no fluidity, no purpose, no identity. Front to back, it is a big problem. 

• Like 2

Ironically - today was Bailey's first start and first start alongside Buendia and I thought they showed glimpses of why recruited both. But it looked like Ramsey was being played wider than Buendia, which again makes no sense as that mean Ramsey was just a passenger till injured.

But starting Nakamba, McGinn and Ramsey screamed 'UH OH' and it was their lack of pressing and physicality that allowed the space for those two soft goals. Bringing Young on made it marginally worse as their midlfielders just jumped all over him and the ref gave us absolutely nothing.

Even if I think Mings shouldn't be undroppable (nor any player) Hause should have been sent off and his actions helped get Konsa red carded. he didn't really look better than Mings, so not sure Mings should have been dropped.

I wasn't taken with Smith's appointment but looked towards his Brentford team and wished we could mirror it and leave the dark day's of Bruce ball behind.  I was one of those so just got onboard regardless of my concerns and the cavalier reports of up/down/up/down with Smith. The reality is though, his Villa team have never played anywhere near the same as Brentford. 3 Years now and we still can't hold the ball and play and move 5-10 yards. We look currently like a Bruce team not a Smith team. Devoid of ideas, direction, rudderless on the pitch and off it. This is my biggest disappointment with him and the reason I'd be happy for a change. 

• Like 1

You have to look at the defending we literally couldn't keep west ham from scoring.

First goal was I think six minutes.

Then after we equalised we held west ham for around two minutes.

Basically we west ham needed to score - they could.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

You have to look at the defending we literally couldn't keep west ham from scoring.

First goal was I think six minutes.

Then after we equalised we held west ham for around two minutes.

Basically we west ham needed to score - they could.

we are no longer defending as a team anymore, usually this is because the players are being swapped in and out like cards at a very crap poker game, the lack of cohesion is in least in part down to the fact we don't have anything remotely near to a balanced eleven or expected tactics

The problem for me is changing the coaching team. The players are looking at a new coaching system and a new way of playing. This is definitely going to upset a few if not the whole team. We know how frustrating it is, when people want to change things which in reality, were not broken. It's looking more and more likely they are not getting on with Shaky and Dank's. They just don't look happy on the pitch and Ming's being benched I think, would have been down to the coaching staff more than Smith surely.

This is my take on the matter anyway, I think he has to win the next 3 games, or guaranteed he'll be gone, the board cannot afford this and I doubt will allow it.

I await @DCJonah comments😂

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

FWIW our three top signings haven't started a game together yet. If Smith's ability is so dependent on Jack then maybe we allow him time to manage the team when Jack's direct replacements are all fit and ready. And then see if he's worthy of the chop. 

That could well mean writing off a whole half a season and by that point we could well be in the relegation zone. 

Â