Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Are fitness, laziness and confidence not things the coach needs to resolve and is responsible for?

He's not responsible for who is injured... 

Get him his best players fit, see what formation he picks and how the other players react to it 

If Bailey or Traore is available we go 4-3-3 and it will pick up

Changing manager at any stage can be risky but it is possible it's a success too like when Southampton got rid of Adkins and bought in Poch. However we're Aston Villa we do that we'll bring in the next Remi Garde lol.

Deano will sort it out.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Yep. And that is something that I’m sure our ambitious owners will eventually run out of patience with.

I agree and it doesn't look favourable for Smith what is happening at Brentford at the moment. I think he is under a lot more pressure than I was thinking. I thought he was safe for at least this season but I am starting to thing otherwise now

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Are fitness, laziness and confidence not things the coach needs to resolve and is responsible for?

I get what you are trying to say but you are laying zero blame at the players feet.  

It’s the manager and players fault surely?

It all can’t be just the managers fault can it? You surely aren’t saying the players have no responsibility at all because that’s daft isn’t it?

You may argue how much is the managers fault vs the players but not that players are zero?

• Like 1

I just hope Terry and O'Kelly were not the brains behind the way we played last season an Smith's a bit of a fake. It's quite coincidental, as it is now known, Thomas Frank was the man who brought the attacking style to Bretford's football, not actually Smith.

Just can't understand where that win against Man U and Everton has gone, obviously struggling to motivate the players or it's on the manager and coaches with the first half formation.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

No defending that. That was abysmal and he's done himself no favours picking that formation again. 

I've consistently said I doubt he's under pressure this season but more like that and he certainly will be. 

Something needs to change and quickly. 

You are right and i think dropping one of the strikers will help i wouldnt be suprised if he dont go on and beat west ham with a new look team.

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How can a manager be responsible for 11 men being shit at even the basics. 

Why is he there then ?

In answer to your question. Because he trains them 5 or 6 days a week - including the basics . The 90 minutes on the pitch is the end product of that weeks training/coaching sessions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If CP & NSWE believe Smith is the wrong man for the job they need to sack him. They can't be second guessing themselves about a potential replacement. Clubs change managers all the time and it is Purslow's job, with the help of others to ensure the get the right replacement. Saying we shouldn't sack Smith because we mightn't find better is complete BS. I am not saying sack Smith, I am saying if the time comes when Purslow believes he is not the right man for the job then he needs to go

Any idea what Purslows record is like?  We know Edens is pretty ruthless, but maybe Purslow likes to stick rather than twist when it’s 50/50?

Edited by ender4

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Walsall and Brentford were similar in terms of results - win a few then a defeat or two then win again so on and so forth.

Most mid table teams do that, heck even when we finished 6th under MON we had poor runs in two of those seasons.

Issue for me is we beat Everton and then played very well at Man. United....and we've followed it up with three straight defeats with two of those being abysmal performances in North London. And last 10 minutes of Wolves was obviously terrible aswell.

Reminds me of when under Lambert we'd randomly beat a Liverpool or Man. City, we'd all get excited....and then follow it with 5 straight defeats without scoring a goal.

By now we should be better than that really. Leicester beat Man. United well the other day and I bet they go on a good league run now.

• Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I agree and it doesn't look favourable for Smith what is happening at Brentford at the moment. I think he is under a lot more pressure than I was thinking. I thought he was safe for at least this season but I am starting to thing otherwise now

I bet the owners aren’t looking at Brentford at all or at worst see them as the new Leeds/Sheff Utd…just not comparable!

Just now, ender4 said:

Any idea what Purslows record is like?  We know Eden’s is pretty ruthless, but maybe Purslow likes to stick rather than twist when it’s 50/50?

Purslow sacked Rafa at Liverpool after he won the Champions League so I doubt he will be letting Dean rest on the success of winning promotion from the Championship

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Hmmm don't know, maybe if he signed most of them, train's them, picks the team and formation, picks the tactics, makes the changes and refuses to accept what is starring him in the face. You know, the managers job essentially.

Yes players once again cannot be absolved for individual or collective blame for that performance just as with Wolves but ultimately it is on Smith.

That was an absolute mess this evening.

They were all shit. Really really shit. Are they brilliant against Man U regardless of Smith?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I just hope Terry and O'Kelly were not the brains behind the way we played last season an Smith's a bit of a fake. It's quite coincidental, as it is now known, Thomas Frank was the man who brought the attacking style to Bretford's football, not actually Smith.

Just can't understand where that win against Man U and Everton has gone, obviously struggling to motivate the players or it's on the manager and coaches with the first half formation.

I think we need to ask why those two suddenly upped sticks with nowhere else to go. Terry you perhaps understand - but ROK days before a new season ?  

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Changing manager at any stage can be risky but it is possible it's a success too like when Southampton got rid of Adkins and bought in Poch. However we're Aston Villa we do that we'll bring in the next Remi Garde lol.

Deano will sort it out.

There are about 50 better managers in world football than DS. 30 wouldn't come to us, 20 probably would so just got to go and find one. Luciene Favre for example is a better manager given he's got a couple of clubs into CL in France and Germany in last decade so that's sort of realistic target we should be after given he was close to joining Palace in the summer.

I actually think one of those Bundesliga mega pressing managers would be a really good fit for the squad we have currently. I actually think someone like Hassenhuttl would do a good job here....but can understand why people would laugh at that given he's won about 3 games at Southampton since start of 2021.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Why is he there then ?

In answer to your question. Because he trains them 5 or 6 days a week - including the basics . The 90 minutes on the pitch is the end product of that weeks training/coaching sessions. 

Towards the end of the game, about the 88th minute, Luiz in space little further up than half way in our half, Bailey on the right wide open calls for the ball, Luiz under no pressure puts the 30 yard pass out for a throw in 

Brazilian international Douglas Luiz 

If you think that's on smiths coaching then me and you think they do different things in training 

• Like 1

Seriously how can anybody defend Smith after that? He got the selection woefully wrong and then watched Arsenal take full advantage of that for fifty minutes without doing anything about it. Nothing! Nada! Sweet fa! He just watched. Even then he didn’t address the real elephant in the room and stuck with Ings and Watkins on the pitch at the same time. It really is laughable. Lovely man. Bloody average manager. He is done here.

Â