Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The odd bad game, i tend to look at the players

But when its an extended run of looking so poor, questions must be asked of the coaching staff

Only 4 goals scored in the last 8 games, and not many more shots or chances created

Its dire, directionless football

• Like 2

Just now, holteend1982 said:

It's hard to blame Smith when players like trez are on the pitch but he could at least try to mix up the formation when we are playing so poorly

They're all to blame of course, but there is a very clear ongoing problem where Smith seems to have absolutely no idea how to set us up to score goals when Grealish is out.

3 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

It's hard to blame Smith when players like trez are on the pitch but he could at least try to mix up the formation when we are playing so poorly

But surely even playing the likes of him is all on Smith?

I would much rather see some of the kids than Traore or Trez and possbily on occasion even than Elghazi. I am almost certain they coudn't possibly do any worse either.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Just now, rodders0223 said:

You're either fit to play or you aren't.

Good for you. Rather than admitting there is nuance to a situation you aren't equipped to comment on, it's much better to fake it 'till you make it. On the internet you can be the doctor you always dreamed of being.

• Like 1

Just now, andym said:

The odd bad game, i tend to look at the players

But when its an extended run of looking so poor, questions must be asked of the coaching staff

Only 4 goals scored in the last 8 games, and not many more shots or chances created

Its dire, directionless football

Its football that says we're safe from relegation, not getting promoted, absolutely knackered, who cares... 

Its disappointing, especially seeing as hopefully a few of these players are playing for their career

But even the likes of Luiz, when was the last time you can say Luiz played well? I can't remember it

They've given up 

I think every fan has to seriously question and look at Smiths record without Grealish. 

Im nowhere near ‘Smith out’, but this is a problem. 

It’s absolutely vital we sign two or three attacking players in the summer, preferably wingers. Honestly, if Trezeguet is in the matchday squad next season then we’ll have failed miserably in the transfer window. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I think every fan has to seriously question and look at Smiths record without Grealish. 

Im nowhere near ‘Smith out’, but this is a problem. 

It’s absolutely vital we sign two or three attacking players in the summer, preferably wingers. Honestly, if Trezeguet is in the matchday squad next season then we’ll have failed miserably in the transfer window. 

I really don't think it's a major problem. Grealish is one of the best players in the league. The sort of player, teams like ours don't usually get to have. 

We're still having to play Trezeguet and El Ghazi. We have Davis as our only attacking back up. Barkley has not worked. It's not really a major shock. It's the area of the squad that needs addressing the most in the summer. 

Not an overreaction to tonight, seen it last 10 games - on par if not worse than anything we served up last year.  Too many passengers and weak links, massively overachieved first half of season.

Hardly play ball in front of players or to space, when you have to retreat half a yard to get the ball you can’t move it quickly, something we rarely do - get away with it with Jack as his close control is amazing, and he can carry the ball forward.

Too many walkers as well, at one point we had 3 just meandering back whilst Spurs jogged past them, yes spuds got lucky with one or 2 bits of class but in no department did we match a poor Spurs team.

Smith has to carry the can for me, you cant take the plaudits for the early season form and not take the shit for the shower of shit we have produced before and after that. 

I don’t know what our style is, it’s not pocession, it’s not quick counter, it’s not press, it’s not play out from back. It’s just hope we have a few turn up, we will (unfortunately) continue to drop down the league now

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Smith is knocking out the park as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the players combined with the shallow squad depth makes it incredibly tough for us to be competitive and yet we are.

A couple more transfer windows with some significant investment, a few quality forwards would be nice, then we'll be able to see how far he can take us.

This is the positive take on things and one I’m on board with. For now. 

I think Smith deserves another Summer but if we don’t sign two decent wingers, we’re bang in trouble next year. 

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Smith is knocking out the park as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the players combined with the shallow squad depth makes it incredibly tough for us to be competitive and yet we are.

A couple more transfer windows with some significant investment, a few quality forwards would be nice, then we'll be able to see how far he can take us.

Absolutely this. And I'm confident our owners view it the same. 

Purslow and Smith said we need to stay in the league for 3 years to build a competitive squad with FFP. 

We are on the beach with 10 games to go, its a natural instinct from footballers when nothing is on the line. I think some fans are scared and confused because we havent had a season like this in 15 years or so since we were always fighting to stay up, go up or for Europe

Season is over

• Like 1

Â