Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 02/10/2019 at 08:14, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get why he should lose confidence if he’s dropped. It’s a squad game. He shouldn’t expect to start every game regardless of what we paid for him.

Does this mean Luiz shouldn’t have been dropped either?

edit: if anything what’s its doing to Davis’s confident when he gets a few minutes here and there and seems to make more of an impact than Wesley did the whole game. 

Like I said

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Incredibly tough fixture list for the next couple of months 

If we win against Brighton, I guess we’ll be fine with 4 points from the 6 games after that as long as they’re from the toon and dingles.

I think we might stop Liverpool, although we usually do better at Anfield, but I think our team is really good at VP recently while Plop are unplayable at Anfield.

Anything below 3 at Man City is a good result I guess.

If we go to Man Utd, Chelsea and Leicester with more than 15 points I think we might play freely and upset a few.

But our silly mistakes needs to stop.

The best thing is El Ghazi and McGinn are starting to contribute even more than the Championship. 

Hourihane seems to step up too, new players are adapting well (apart from Wesley who hopefully today was his beginning).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What I will say is that our up turn has coincided with Hourihane coming in and Grealish being further forward. Although we've been a bit dodgy at times at the back we are looking far more menacing going forward. Excellent today. Freshened the midfield earlier and also saw the merits for leaving Nakamba on when bringing on Luiz. 10/10 today. 

It was the right thing to do.

4-3-3 was just leaving us too exposed for other teams to pass around.

Of course Jack wants to be central but hopefully he's realising he can still influence attacks and games drifting from out wide. He did this well when he first broke through in 14/15.

We certainly need to keep this shape if we're to make Man. City and Liverpool games competitive.

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Like I said

I stand by what I said though in that it shouldn’t affect his confidence if he was dropped. Also wrote how he shouldn’t be dropped based on a bad performance but Davis should play if impressed in training. 

Never wrote him of as a player, just felt he was under pressure. Fair play to the lad for how he answered the critics. Now he has to keep it going. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we win against Brighton we can actually afford to lose 2 games on the bounce.

No, we can't.......We need to win EVERY game.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I stand by what I said though in that it shouldn’t affect his confidence if he was dropped. Also wrote how he shouldn’t be dropped based on a bad performance but Davis should play if impressed in training. 

Never wrote him of as a player, just felt he was under pressure. Fair play to the lad for how he answered the critics. Now he has to keep it going. 

He had different style of opponent today......He is still learning.....hopefully he will remember last week....and I am sure Dean will have briefed him,about it.

but certainly applied himself this week...what a way to answer doubters.

He will piece it all together eventually and probably be a very good player.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It was the right thing to do.

4-3-3 was just leaving us too exposed for other teams to pass around.

Of course Jack wants to be central but hopefully he's realising he can still influence attacks and games drifting from out wide. He did this well when he first broke through in 14/15.

We certainly need to keep this shape if we're to make Man. City and Liverpool games competitive.

I don't think we can play like we did today and think it will work against every team.....it will take a brave man to go all out against Liverpool and Man City.

We are not good enough, at the none finer arts, to play open against them 2.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hope the fans turning on him can start trusting him again.   I know most always did but some really did start to turn on him already at was disappointing to read and sometimes even felt like February again.  

I'm not sure about that mate. Listen we could have Pep in charge and some plonkers on the internet wouldn't be happy unless we were winning 10-0 every week, but by and large I think the fanbase are 100% behind Smith. 

I'll caveat that by saying questioning decisions doesn't mean you're not behind the manager. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Totally agree. Questioning all good.  I questioned his late subs myself.

But when he starts getting called a muppet, accused of sticking with Wesley because he signed him, doesnt know how to manage leads, has terrible game management skills; isn’t listen to Terry etc etc. 

That’s when you think give the guy a break. He has done wonders for the club. He deserves some trust. 

Agree with everything you've said there mate, but again, I think the post's you are talking about are very much the minority. I genuinely do think the vast majority are much agreed with the sentence I highlighted. 

Edited by av1

Very good from smith and his staff today - the team was set up well and looked very decent , I think we were unlucky last week with targett coming off and but for that probably would have won that game too - onwards and upwards 👍

Edited by Eastie

Â