The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Different scenario though. Ours has the potential to be at least 55k, and we’ve been able to modernise each stand whenever we wanted. Everton weren’t able to do that, so their only option was to rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

Different scenario though. Ours has the potential to be at least 55k, and we’ve been able to modernise each stand whenever we wanted. Everton weren’t able to do that, so their only option was to rebuild. 

Late to the discussion, but was thinking about us when I saw this story yesterday.

I wanted to use it as an example that people shouldn't be as closed minded to the possibility as they have been 

Everton are an old, historic club as well, and while it might pain some, you either evolve or get left behind.

A new stadium " Or New Villa Park " would also have its place in history, and become " home " and historic to future generations.

So if we can't modernise our current ground up to the most modern standards... I'd say build new.

Obviously we have alot to achieve before we get to any of that.

• Like 4

As the guides on the VP tour seem to delight in telling you Everton had a huge corporate facility problem, in that they had barely any and they were shit 

We don't have that problem 

The only reason I could see for a new stadium / relocation would be sticking the stadium somewhere that increased the visitor numbers on the 346 days a year where there isn't a football match, randy really should have got the football league museum at VP

11 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

No comparison to Everton more than them being a PL club and being the latest one to build. Different cities and different situations. 

But there's more to it that just cramming a couple more thousands into the stadium. It's revenue, amenities, corporate, naming rights, commercial income, location, transport and parking... 

Not many clubs with ambition who aren't moving into new stadiums or already have so.

Aston Villa and Villa Park is a unique situation, but then again so is every other club and stadium. This one just happens to be ours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sne said:

No comparison to Everton more than them being a PL club and being the latest one to build. Different cities and different situations. 

But there's more to it that just cramming a couple more thousands into the stadium. It's revenue, amenities, corporate, naming rights, commercial income, location, transport and parking... 

Not many clubs with ambition who aren't moving into new stadiums or already have so.

Aston Villa and Villa Park is a unique situation, but then again so is every other club and stadium. This one just happens to be ours.

If Wes and Nassef want to build a new stadium out of their own pocket, almost as a vanity project then fine but I don't see spending at least £500m of the club's money a great use of it.  I'd rather go the Old Trafford or Anfield route and expand what we have.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If Wes and Nassef want to build a new stadium out of their own pocket, almost as a vanity project then fine but I don't see spending at least £500m of the club's money a great use of it.  I'd rather go the Old Trafford or Anfield route and expand what we have.

Doubt it would be as a vanity project :D 

Club doesn't really have any money to begin with, it's the owners who does.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Doubt it would be as a vanity project :D 

Club doesn't really have any money to begin with, it's the owners who does.

Yeah true, I just sense with the Emirates and Spurs's stadium (how have they still not sold the naming rights btw?) that it limits what they spend in the transfer market a fair bit, though it could just be a convenient excuse for those in charge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah true, I just sense with the Emirates and Spurs's stadium (how have they still not sold the naming rights btw?) that it limits what they spend in the transfer market a fair bit, though it could just be a convenient excuse for those in charge.

Yeah Covid has hit Spurs like a ton of bricks. They even took out a £220m emergency loan. Then again so did Man U

36 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn't rebuild where we are, expand sure. IF they were ever to want to build a completely new stadium we should leave Aston and move to the city centre.

Exactly that, you have to build it where the people are and make it more than just a football venue 

Evertons new stadium is part of a £5bn+ regeneration scheme of a world heritage site, wiki says the scheme will include 4 hotels, retail and office space and create 17k jobs and a monorail to the city centre and airport, the city is doing a ton of hard work for them

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly that, you have to build it where the people are and make it more than just a football venue 

Evertons new stadium is part of a £5bn+ regeneration scheme of a world heritage site, wiki says the scheme will include 4 hotels, retail and office space and create 17k jobs and a monorail to the city centre and airport, the city is doing a ton of hard work for them

Our council would do F all for us

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Financially direct from debt on the club, no thanks the pay off isn’t big enough.

If we ignore finances and growth all that, bad or good, I would in my heart prefer to expand Villa Park.  

I hate these new stadiums, they are huge, extravagant, amazing to look at but they are soulless, lacking the essence of generations and missing the draw I’ve loved all my life of those stadiums I grew up at home at Villa Park or away at all the grounds I’ve frequented year after year.

It’s such a shame that while modernising is good, it harms something intangible that can never be brought back or recreated.

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If we ignore finances and growth all that, bad or good, I would in my heart prefer to expand Villa Park.  

I hate these new stadiums, they are huge, extravagant, amazing to look at but they are soulless, lacking the essence of generations and missing the draw I’ve loved all my life of those stadiums I grew up at home at Villa Park or away at all the grounds I’ve frequented year after year.

It’s such a shame that while modernising is good, it harms something intangible that can never be brought back or recreated.

But new stadiums become just that, for generations in the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But new stadiums become just that, for generations in the future.

Not really they become soulless entertainment venues not football stadiums.  The affinity with a stadium/stands was always part of the soul of the club...Villa Park, Holte End, Anfield, the Kop, Goodison Park, Highbury blah blah....can’t say that about the Emirates or the London Stadium for West Ham.  Maybe I’m wrong, being in my forties maybe I’m becoming nostalgic but I’m still young enough to see the difference between the traditional stadiums and the new modern ones.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not really they become soulless entertainment venues not football stadiums.  The affinity with a stadium/stands was always part of the soul of the club...Villa Park, Holte End, Anfield, the Kop, Goodison Park, Highbury blah blah....can’t say that about the Emirates or the London Stadium for West Ham.  Maybe I’m wrong, being in my forties maybe I’m becoming nostalgic but I’m still young enough to see the difference between the traditional stadiums and the new modern ones.

I get what you are trying to say, but surely, there are ways to maintain heritage while embracing modern venues as well. It seems this is what the likes of Everton and Chelsea want to do. Especially with all the technology and accoustics etc now available.

I mean, I remember when some fans were genuinely upset that they were upgrading the dugouts to the modern leather ones. lol

Again, I'd ideally love them to be able to fully modernise VP.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get what you are trying to say, but surely, there are ways to maintain heritage while embracing modern venues as well. It seems this is what the likes of Everton and Chelsea want to do. Especially with all the technology and accoustics etc now available.

I mean, I remember when some fans were genuinely upset that they were upgrading the dugouts to the modern leather ones. lol

Again, I'd ideally love them to be able to fully modernise VP.

Yeah I have no issue with modernising VP somewhat like wifi, sound, video, catering, toilets, exiting and all that.  A new North Stand as well because that’s always been ghastly but just keep Villa Park what it is.  I know that sounds like a contradiction somewhat but I think people will know what I mean.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, paul514 said:

Our council would do F all for us

I'd rather have our council than Liverpool's!!!!  https://news.sky.com/story/government-poised-to-take-over-city-of-liverpool-after-corruption-claims-12252322  Still ... that's an only just!!

We need a scheme to incorporate/link Villa Park into the city centre better.  It's not too far away, especially given the development that is now moving out through the gun quarter.  I don't get these expensive trams when we could put a light tram system in at a considerably lower cost.  Jazz up Aston Hall and the park.  Put the infrastructure around the ground.  Land is relatively cheap out by the ground and it makes sense to me to develop that area.

I'd like to see easier access from the North (rather than the bottle neck where the A5127 hits Spaghetti Jn) and the M6.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not really they become soulless entertainment venues not football stadiums.  The affinity with a stadium/stands was always part of the soul of the club...

You are right today, but in 50 years time our grandchildren will think differently. In 50 years time, the Etihad will be a historic venue. 

Aston Villa is greater than Villa Park, and Villa Park MK2 will also form a part of the great history one day. 

Although I hope we can modernise and improve our current stadium, I wouldn't be opposed to a new one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â