The NSWE Board

Guest av1

I’m still not convinced this is going to go ahead, too many rich, powerful and very connected people going to lose a lot of money if this goes ahead.  I assume it end up being more of a revamp of the CL than what was to be announced today.

I’m thankful we have our owners and Purslow.  With their contacts, especially Wes with the other American owners, their money and other contacts and then Purslows contacts it wouldn’t surprise if this moves forward if we aren’t in it or ar least we are going to be in good hands.

I can’t imagine Edens or Purslow has been blinded by this, I’m sure they have been working behind the scenes....to what end I don’t know but they are too well connected not to.

Lerner and FFP all over again... 

The main hope has to be that unlike Lerner these 2, even if its through purslow, shout from the rooftops what a load of absolute bollocks this is

I hope we make a lot of noise and if we consider ourselves this big club still we put ourselves at the forefront of the backlash 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Me saying I hope they put us to the forefront... Imagine if we came out in kind of like "founded by us ruined by you" type tshirts on Wednesday night or had some huge McGregor banner made to put behind the dug ours right in the camera shot

This I like 👍 

Me saying I hope they put us to the forefront... Imagine if we came out in kind of like "founded by us ruined by you" type tshirts on Wednesday night or had some huge McGregor banner made to put behind the dug ours right in the camera shot

It would also cause a discussion with the sky generation as to what the message means Just providing extra kudos for our great club. It’s a cracking slogan

Brilliant!

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m still not convinced this is going to go ahead, too many rich, powerful and very connected people going to lose a lot of money if this goes ahead.  I assume it end up being more of a revamp of the CL than what was to be announced today.

I’m thankful we have our owners and Purslow.  With their contacts, especially Wes with the other American owners, their money and other contacts and then Purslows contacts it wouldn’t surprise if this moves forward if we aren’t in it or ar least we are going to be in good hands.

I can’t imagine Edens or Purslow has been blinded by this, I’m sure they have been working behind the scenes....to what end I don’t know but they are too well connected not to.

Sadly, I think that this is going to happen. Maybe not now and maybe not in the current proposed format but I can’t see how it can be stopped. The PL may threaten to expel the 6 clubs but sadly the PL is massively diminished without them. The PL would just end up shooting their own product in the foot!

Similarly do we really think that Fifa will ban the best players in the world from their World Cup? Not gonna happen. Money drives at the heart of the PL and FIFA just as much as with the 6 clubs. A compromise of sorts will be agreed and the rest of us will get screwed over . It’s so frustrating but I think it is unstoppable. I will always love Villa but my interest will dissipate if it does go ahead.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Sadly, I think that this is going to happen. Maybe not now and maybe not in the current proposed format but I can’t see how it can be stopped. The PL may threaten to expel the 6 clubs but sadly the PL is massively diminished without them. The PL would just end up shooting their own product in the foot!

Similarly do we really think that Fifa will ban the best players in the world from their World Cup? Not gonna happen. Money drives at the heart of the PL and FIFA just as much as with the 6 clubs. A compromise of sorts will be agreed and the rest of us will get screwed over . It’s so frustrating but I think it is unstoppable. I will always love Villa but my interest will dissipate if it does go ahead.

See I just don’t think it will happen, the CL format maybe changed further but I’ll be surprised if this Super League goes ahead.  Too many current people who are well connected, very rich and have a big say will lose a lot of that and money if this goes ahead so they will do everything in their power to stop it.  

Add to that the government don’t want it and will intervene and they very much can through various methods.  The Super League will back down and say they have compromised to something in the CL format.  

I just don’t see this moving forward in the current format, they have gone too extreme in their first proposal being greedy that will be their downfall.  They should’ve been clever in the way they did it but now they have too many powerful people offside and no support.

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

Slightly different - but when Man City got a takeover that made our route to the CL so much harder - our then owner Lerner lost interest.

Are these guys going to keep pumping in £100m - with no prospect of being anything other than also rans ?

29 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Yes - this or something of its Ilk will happen over the next few years.

You will still have and enjoy Aston villa though - but we will operate in a niche area. Great for us diehards - but as a saleable product to a worldwide audience of billions - it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Slightly different - but when Man City got a takeover that made our route to the CL so much harder - our then owner Lerner lost interest.

Are these guys going to keep pumping in £100m - with no prospect of being anything other than also rans ?

They already knew this yet still brought us, we are still hearing their desires even by Purslow.  Until we see or hear different, I think they are because they are telling they are and maybe they have bigger plans than your last line.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They already knew this yet still brought us, we are still hearing their desires even by Purslow.  Until we see or hear different, I think they are because they are telling they are and maybe they have bigger plans than your last line.

But how are those plans going to be realised ? Say we finish top 4 next season - but then don't get  ESL football ?

A while back the route the CL was pretty much blocked. Then Leicester happened. - after that clubs like villa / Leeds / Everton got owners where actually CL was an ambitious but acheiveable. 

Some well managed clubs muscled in where they weren't supposed to.

The actions of the last 24 hours are to correct those fault lines and restore order.

Just now, hippo said:

But how are those plans going to be realised ? Say we finish top 4 next season - but then don't get  ESL football ?

A while back the route the CL was pretty much blocked. Then Leicester happened. - after that clubs like villa / Leeds / Everton got owners where actually CL was an ambitious but acheiveable. 

Some well managed clubs muscled in where they weren't supposed to.

The actions of the last 24 hours are to correct those fault lines and restore order.

I don’t think the ESL will go ahead and explained elsewhere why.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think the ESL will go ahead and explained elsewhere why.

It might not be called the ESL - but something in that direction will happen over the next few years.

Remember how many times an English premier League idea bit the dust ? - but it just kept coming back , time after time - this will be the same.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

It might not be called the ESL - but something in that direction will happen over the next few years.

Remember how many times an English premier League idea bit the dust ? - but it just kept coming back , time after time - this will be the same.

Not convinced mate sorry.  They’ll make more changes to the CL but there won’t be fixed teams in a CL/ESL future format, it’ll still be earned.  It’s the only reason PL got through.

The greed, and rejection and condemnation of it has set the idea of the ESL type format back years and years because others will be afraid to propose it because people will remember this and I expect some anti-competition laws will be enacted to stop this in the future.  Their greed has completely hurt what they wanted to do.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Â