The NSWE Board

Guest av1

If you ever wondered by the way, what it is that Mr Edens is doing to maintain the healthy fortune that we'd like him to spend right here, or if you've more than a passing interesting in how the international liquid gas market works and how he's changing it, there's a fascinating article here:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4414299-new-fortress-energy-inc-nfe-ceo-wesley-edens-on-q4-2020-results-earnings-call-transcript

New Fortress Energy Inc. (NFE) CEO Wesley Edens on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

If not, the short version is that Wes and his company New Fortress own an ever increasing array of liquid gas terminals in the Caribbean and now into Brazil and are developing more across the globe, they've also built a couple of huge power stations so they can make the gas into electricity and sell it in Brazil and they've also brought a load of ships that can move it and others that can get it from under the sea. He wants to change how liquid gas pricing works and if he does that, he'll be considerably richer than the considerably rich that he already is. He's a smart cookie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In other Wes Edens news, he's fallen out with Richard Branson, who I've always thought was a bit of a knob anyway.

Wes's train company had entered into a deal with Virgin to allow Virgin to brand its trains as Virgin Trains USA (in a similar way as it does with the trains that we the taxpayer buy here in the UK, but obviously for better money, Wes doesn't take lobbying peanuts). However, Wes's train company Brightline has since pulled out of that deal and no longer wants to engage with Virgin in the arrangement - Branson's toys are on the floor and the pram is still rattling to the tune of $251m.

https://www.railjournal.com/financial/virgin-sues-brightline-for-us-251-5m-over-naming-contract/

VIRGIN Enterprises, Britain, has launched legal proceedings against US private operator Brightline to recoup $US 251.3m it says it is owed after Brightline pulled out of a 20-year deal to use the Virgin brand.

I'd like him to win that one for more than one reason please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That sounds ominous - when UEFA come up with a new system all on their own without any sort f public debate, it usually means that a handful of clubs at the top have had a good idea about how they can stitch up the money to suit themselves. Let's see what madcap scheme they come up with this time.

Spending limits linked to the coefficient? 

• Like 1

Nearly everyone our owners have signed is worth more than we signed them for. Some significantly so. Whilst I don't think that frees us up on a FFP front to spend big again, it does put us in a very good place.

I think they'll spend whatever FFP let's them this season.  We'll be able to offer higher wages thanks to another year in the prem (some obscure ffp rule to thank for that), we'll hopefully have a top half finish to back that up,  and we'll have had some eye catching results and performances to show we have real potential.

I think all our first team will be closer to their prime next season as well.

I think it's another window to supplement quality in a few places that we've shown we're short in, and push further up the table again next season,  aiming for around 7/8th place. Our owners are no mugs, and will know that our form suffered due to lack of depth. They'll be looking to fix that next season. And they'll fix it by signing first team players, that push the current first team to the bench for that depth.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats bad news for clubs like united and arsenal whose owners dint spend much.

Good news for the likes of us and Everton who have wealthy owners

Presumably you're talking about Sheffield United...

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats bad news for clubs like united and arsenal whose owners dint spend much.

Good news for the likes of us and Everton who have wealthy owners

Perhaps. 
I doubt NSWE would be able to convince many 50 million pound players to come to us at the moment.

I suspect it would just mean we buy more players of a similar value that we have been buying.

anyway I read elsewhere the rules wouldn’t change this summer but in 2022 and then it would be phased in so it’s a bit of a dead issue right now

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Perhaps. 
I doubt NSWE would be able to convince many 50 million pound players to come to us at the moment.

I suspect it would just mean we buy more players of a similar value that we have been buying.

anyway I read elsewhere the rules wouldn’t change this summer but in 2022 and then it would be phased in so it’s a bit of a dead issue right now

2022 seems much more likely.

Apart from it generally being too short notice, the optics of a few big players this summer ripping apart clubs with finances ravaged from Covid would not be at all good.

At the risk of opening old wounds, am I right in thinking that UEFA changing its FFP doesn’t automatically lower the Premier League’s FFP standards? As in, any UEFA change would have to be matched by the PL before it affected us?

Or is that wrong?

21 minutes ago, Enda said:

At the risk of opening old wounds, am I right in thinking that UEFA changing its FFP doesn’t automatically lower the Premier League’s FFP standards? As in, any UEFA change would have to be matched by the PL before it affected us?

Or is that wrong?

Wrong, the UEFA standards are for their competitions, the premier league has higher caps already.

Now I have written that I am doubting myself. I’m sure it will all come out tomorrow anyway. It may be that it doesn’t affect NSWE’s plans anyway 

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Wrong, the UEFA standards are for their competitions, the premier league has higher caps already.

But we don’t (yet) qualify for UEFA competitions? So their standards don’t matter to us (yet)?

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

I do wonder what NSWE would do if the shackles were released.....

The same.

I don't believe FFP has ever stopped anyone from spending. Owners have hidden behind it , when they don't want to splash the cash.

Wouldn't get all excited about a new system either. It will be like when the council tax replaced the rates .

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't believe FFP has ever stopped anyone from spending. Owners have hidden behind it , when they don't want to splash the cash.

It's fine to believe what you like, but its factually incorrect. Clubs have had transfer bans imposed, for example. But in terms of our owners, I perceive that they are prepared to be creative, but wish to abide by the rules generally (all rules). I also think they wouldn't wish to behave in an irresponsible way generally, from the evidence of their ownership to date. They are clearly ambitious for the club and have been prepared to back that ambition with resources, financial and otherwise to try to meet those aims and ambitions. I hope they continue along those lines.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Enda said:

But we don’t (yet) qualify for UEFA competitions? So their standards don’t matter to us (yet)?

Yes, but we aspire to, if you qualified and had spent too much you wouldn't be allowed to play in the competition. Anyway I don't want any warnings on my account so I will leave that there.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blandy said:

It's fine to believe what you like, but its factually incorrect. Clubs have had transfer bans imposed, for example. But in terms of our owners, I perceive that they are prepared to be creative, but wish to abide by the rules generally (all rules). I also think they wouldn't wish to behave in an irresponsible way generally, from the evidence of their ownership to date. They are clearly ambitious for the club and have been prepared to back that ambition with resources, financial and otherwise to try to meet those aims and ambitions. I hope they continue along those lines.

But they have invested massively with FFP in place. More likely the enthusiasm for pumping in millions each summer will wane before any variant of FFP halts spending.

Wonder how our owners actually feel about the stadium situation. I'm sure they fully get and appreciate what a lovely thing Villa Park is and the historical value of it. But at the same time I'm sure they are seeing what other clubs (Everton being the latest) are doing and the potential a new stadium has if done correctly.

And seeing as the new stadium is very much a part of what Edens is doing at the Milwaukee Bucks I do wonder.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Â