The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Just now, nick76 said:

Not convinced mate sorry.  They’ll make more changes to the CL but there won’t be fixed teams in a CL/ESL future format, it’ll still be earned.  It’s the only reason PL got through.

The CL have proposed today something very similar. Slots will be reserved for elite clubs that don't qualify.?

So villa finishing 4th might not get in - but Arsenal finishing 9th could as an elite club. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

The CL have proposed today something very similar. Slots will be reserved for elite clubs that don't qualify.?

Got a link for that? Pretty sure it was just guaranteeing those who do qualify more games.

10 hours ago, hippo said:

So villa finishing 4th might not get in - but Arsenal finishing 9th could as an elite club. 

I read the full UEFA statement and full format earlier and again now and it doesn’t say that.

summarised version via the link

Format details

Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league stage including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 10 league stage games against 10 different opponents (five home games, five away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home and away basis.

The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while the teams finishing in ninth to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition.

Similar format changes will also be applied to the UEFA Europa League (8 matches in the league stage) and UEFA Europa Conference League (6 matches in the league stage). Subject to further discussions and agreements, these two competitions may also be expanded to a total of 36 teams each in the league stage.

Qualification for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and earned through a team’s performance in domestic competitions.

One of the additional places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking. Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League.

All games before the final will still be played midweek, recognising the importance of the domestic calendar of games across Europe.

UEFA.com

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

I read the full UEFA statement and full format earlier and again now and it doesn’t say that.

summarised version via the link

UEFA.com

Ok - it could possibly be the last para. But I can not find the link where it said slots would be reserved for past performers not qualifying.

Pretty sure posters were commenting on it in the breakaway  thread .

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Should promote on how rich Owners are, we would certainly get in then.

To be honest if they want to go good riddance,they think they are better than everyone else and to good to be in lumbered in the same league. Personally this season none of the big so called 6 have performed exceptionally. Sure Covid has played apart in this, so they say but I also think it's teams seen by them as lowly dogs who have also made up ground, gotten better and gave them as good a thrashing as they could hand out. Really the league has become tighter at the top and from time to time it happens. Clubs are also not selling there best players for cheap to these big six, so they are collecting decent players to mount challenges.

It will be interesting to see when the fans come back if the big six actually start winning more, I don't think they will personally.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

We can be one of the biggest beneficiaries of this farce.

Purslow needs to get after these bastards and hit them where it hurts...the pocket.

I have no doubts next season we can go past Arsenal and Spurs amongst them. Their squads are bloated full of garbage they can't shift. If they have to pay a £100m fine each it's more time without being able to sort it.

• Like 4

Think Liverpool will be very vulnerable aswell, can see Klopp going before too long as he'll have lost some motivation after this and their midfield and attack has gone a bit stale with some players coming up to 30 now so can see them dropping off a bit like after losing Suarez in 2014.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We can be one of the biggest beneficiaries of this farce.

Purslow needs to get after these bastards and hit them where it hurts...the pocket.

I have no doubts next season we can go past Arsenal and Spurs amongst them. Their squads are bloated full of garbage they can't shift. If they have to pay a £100m fine each it's more time without being able to sort it.

A fine for what? They’ll be no punishments. Premier League and Sky need those 6 clubs. They bricked it when they saw money could come from elsewhere and acted like they gave a shit about the fans. Neville played a blinder!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A fine for what? They’ll be no punishments. Premier League and Sky need those 6 clubs. They bricked it when they saw money could come from elsewhere and acted like they gave a shit about the fans. Neville played a blinder!

Agree, there’ll be no repercussions, there’s already statements welcoming them back to the fold. 

The one thing that might change is the other clubs won’t allow Manure etc to push them around, these clubs will be pulling their heads in for the short term.

I'd never ever heard of the ECA three days ago. I don't think them leaving that is an issue.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they just formed their own little club, along with the other 6 who have failed to get this through. Then they can spend loads of time planning for the next time they try this.

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd never ever heard of the ECA three days ago. I don't think them leaving that is an issue.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they just formed their own little club, along with the other 6 who have failed to get this through. Then they can spend loads of time planning for the next time they try this.

They had there own club called G14 with most powerful clubs in Europe but this was disbanded into ECA. Bayern were pretty much chair of both and the only sensible club involved

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They had there own club called G14 with most powerful clubs in Europe but this was disbanded into ECA. Bayern were pretty much chair of both and the only sensible club involved

I think the main reason that Bayern are the only "sensible" club in the group is due to the 50+1 rule over here. This coupled with the fact that fan groups in Germany are very organised politically in pressurising the owners on issues leads to being a little more restrained in their actions. I'm not sure that Bayern solely under the direction of Rummenige and Co. would have been so sensible.

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think the main reason that Bayern are the only "sensible" club in the group is due to the 50+1 rule over here. This coupled with the fact that fan groups in Germany are very organised politically in pressurising the owners on issues leads to being a little more restrained in their actions. I'm not sure that Bayern solely under the direction of Rummenige and Co. would have been so sensible.

Bayern are also ran by ex players who do the business side of things. Rumenigge and Hoeness know what a footballer thinks like as well compared to a Levy or Woodward

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bayern are also ran by ex players who do the business side of things. Rumenigge and Hoeness know what a footballer thinks like as well compared to a Levy or Woodward

There is that too, but Hoeness is still a man who ended up imprisoned for a couple of years for tax evasion. Rummenigge has produced his fair share of gaffs over the last couple of years also. I wouldn't give them too much credit - better than Levy and Woodward - yes. However, they are no angels either.

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

There is that too, but Hoeness is still a man who ended up imprisoned for a couple of years for tax evasion. Rummenigge has produced his fair share of gaffs over the last couple of years also. I wouldn't give them too much credit - better than Levy and Woodward - yes. However, they are no angels either.

Oh yeah i wasnt saying they are perfect but i know who i would prefer running a football club 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It will be UEFA won't it that have to start the punishments and order the league's to dish them out??

Let's say for example all these teams piss off, sure for a long time things would be bad without them, yet somewhere down the line, there would come a day that everyone can survive without them, a rebalancing would occur.

Also think without those 6, eventually there would be a new power group in the Premier.

That league will never be seen as a super League by many. In my eyes alone they will be a collection of greedy, needy, selfish, irresponsible, abnoxious and ignorant people who want security, Guaranteed security on the monopoly they own. To me that smells of Fear, it stinks of it. These clubs see a shift in football and it's happening where those who have been under them for such a long time threaten there security in Europe and threaten there guaranteed income and league spots. All these clubs without a doubt have a reason for joining the so called big six, whether it's greed, need, security, they have all turned there back on competition and the rest they leave behind, the world won't forget.

On 19/04/2021 at 22:59, hippo said:

Ok - it could possibly be the last para. But I can not find the link where it said slots would be reserved for past performers not qualifying.

Pretty sure posters were commenting on it in the breakaway  thread .

Ahh yes, so there will be a chance that a team could qualify despite finishing outside the champuons league places... but they'd have to have qualified for one of the European  competitions already. They could also have been knocked out in the qualifying round but find themselves back in as one of thr 2 clubs with the highest coefficient over the last 5 years.

It won't be taking a place off anyone else that has rightly qualified though, and who would have qualified under the current rules.it is just granting 2 extra places via this route...  So not a terrible thing in my view. It gives insurance against a bad year, but presumably if you repeated that performance in year 2 your coefficient would drop outside the top 2 that didnt qualify already.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Oh yeah i wasnt saying they are perfect but i know who i would prefer running a football club 😂

Here's an extract from The Athletic detailing why the German clubs would have been hesitant to go along with the Super League plans;

But that’s not all of it. “The strength of sentiment against a Super League is so strong (in Germany) that BVB and Bayern would have had a riot on their hands,” a well-placed source tells The Athletic. More than 100 Bayern fans turned up at the club HQ on Tuesday to voice their opposition against the new competition and there were similar protests in Dortmund.

Going against your supporters’ express wishes is a lot more difficult in Germany, due to the democratic ownership structure. All bar a handful of professional clubs are majority-controlled by their members, who vote in the chairman and supervisory board. Bayern president Herbert Hainer could, in theory, be thrown out of office at the next AGM if the members don’t agree with the way the club is run. Even though such grassroots revolts are extremely rare, the members’ involvement creates a real sense of accountability, strengthened by the physical proximity between supporters and leaders.

The men in charge of football in Germany’s top division live in or near the cities of their clubs, readily exposed to everyday people and their emotions. Neither Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke, a conservative politician and successful businessman, nor Hainer, Rummenigge or Uli Hoeness would want to run a gauntlet in restaurants (or the media), getting blamed for ruining the existing football ecosystem and exacting potentially fatal damage to their domestic peers in pursuit of extra income. “None of these guys could have shown their face again if they’d agreed to a Super League,” somebody in a position of power at one the Bundesliga’s biggest clubs contends.

100 people turned up at Bayern's HQ on Tuesday even though they weren't part of it. Between that and getting acosted in restaurants you can see why they would be hesitant to commit to it.

Â