The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Given the recent reported losses it's made me wonder, what's in it for the owners? No real affiliation for the club, losing a bucket load of money and it will take a hell of a lot more to achieve success as Lerner found out.

I assume at some point they sell. Can we realistically expect them to keep pushing in hundreds of millions?

22 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Given the recent reported losses it's made me wonder, what's in it for the owners? No real affiliation for the club, losing a bucket load of money and it will take a hell of a lot more to achieve success as Lerner found out.

I assume at some point they sell. Can we realistically expect them to keep pushing in hundreds of millions?

I think even in the short term the increase in value of the club has offset a large percentage of the capital they have injected so far. They bought the club for about £60m and now it must be worth at least £350m.

If they can invest enough to make us a CL side that number could double.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yep. They're in it for the long haul I'd say. Their combined businesses probably made 50 times Villa's losses this year in margin. Its small beer to them. Its also absolutely necessary and we're probably half way through the plan.

They want Villa to be a force at the elite level again. A Rolls Royce that's been neglected and rusting away in somebodys garden. There are costs you expect to incur to get it back to mint condition but at the end you have restored something great and it was more fun than just buying a mint one.

At some point the spending will be in line with revenue. It will be maintenance. But the revenue will be significantly increased. In summary, yes they're going to spend a lot more. Unlike Lerner, they're used to the costs of elite sport. They're winners and there's no reason to sell before they've given it every chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Yep. They're in it for the long haul I'd say. Their combined businesses probably made 50 times Villa's losses this year in margin. Its small beer to them. Its also absolutely necessary and we're probably half way through the plan.

They want Villa to be a force at the elite level again. A Rolls Royce that's been neglected and rusting away in somebodys garden. There are costs you expect to incur to get it back to mint condition but at the end you have restored something great and it was more fun than just buying a mint one.

At some point the spending will be in line with revenue. It will be maintenance. But the revenue will be significantly increased. In summary, yes they're going to spend a lot more. Unlike Lerner, they're used to the costs of elite sport. They're winners and there's no reason to sell before they've given it every chance.

Agree with this, I think you only need to look at the bucs in the NBA to see Wes gets it and understands building a structurally sound sports organisation means keeping your best assets at almost any cost (see the bucs highest paid player can’t remember his name but the Greek sounding guy) while knowing that adding assets to your best assets. They know it costs big money but long term also adds big value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Agree with this, I think you only need to look at the bucs in the NBA to see Wes gets it and understands building a structurally sound sports organisation means keeping your best assets at almost any cost (see the bucs highest paid player can’t remember his name but the Greek sounding guy) while knowing that adding assets to your best assets. They know it costs big money but long term also adds big value.

European football has three massive differences to North American leagues - relegation, Champions League money, and lack of a salary cap - one of those three will throw a monkey wrench into any ambitious owners' plans.  That's what I believe happened in the case of Randy Lerner. He quickly realized that without Champions League football he could not compete without constantly bankrolling the club, something the likes of Chelsea and City were prepared to do.

I believe breaking into the UCL in the next 3-5 years will be crucial to keep our owners enthusiastic about this project. 

There is also multiple leagues and clubs in different leagues who compete for players and has different pros and cons.

US sports has NHL, NBA, MLB & NFL. There is no league anywhere that competes with either of those so a salary cap works over there.

It will not work in football (and it doesn't even work in football or "soccer" in the US).

Nor will it be OK with EU law right? Having a salary cap for just English leagues would mean losing the top player to other leagues unless the salary cap was so high that it would be pointless anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Might be a terrible comparison but, What's in it for FPL players, or avid gamers? Who will literally spend tends of thousands on Football video games because they love it, are competetive and want to succeed? It's that, on a monumental level.

Even if it's just a " game " some take it more seriously than others.

Also, they are creating a huge asset for the future.

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

European football has three massive differences to North American leagues - relegation, Champions League money, and lack of a salary cap - one of those three will throw a monkey wrench into any ambitious owners' plans.  That's what I believe happened in the case of Randy Lerner. He quickly realized that without Champions League football he could not compete without constantly bankrolling the club, something the likes of Chelsea and City were prepared to do.

I believe breaking into the UCL in the next 3-5 years will be crucial to keep our owners enthusiastic about this project. 

I think it's not just breaking in. Its being able to do it year after year. I agree though its absolutely crucial. Part of that is also being able to retain your best players.

I think the only ones who will actually make money out of a football club are people like the Glaziers who buy a club with highly leveraged debt, use the revenues of the club to pay off the debt then sell it on in future years and pocket all the cash from the sale. 

This is only really possible for one of the really big clubs who can generate enough cash to service the loans and still compete at the top. 

For most other owners it's just a very expensive hobby. Multi Billionaires need expensive toys to keep themselves entertained. 

I mean why spend ludicrous amounts of cash for a private jet when you can just book a flight to pretty much anywhere you want to go which would be massively cheaper? Because you can. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Might be a terrible comparison but, What's in it for FPL players, or avid gamers? Who will literally spend tends of thousands on Football video games because they love it, are competetive and want to succeed? It's that, on a monumental level.

Even if it's just a " game " some take it more seriously than others.

Also, they are creating a huge asset for the future.

I get the sentiment and I like it. The big difference though is that gaming starts on a level playing field, everyone has the same chance. You cannot say the same of ownership in the premier league.

These owners have the wealth to take villa anywhere they want to. They have appointed an experienced CEO in Purslow. As well as funding player purchases they seem to be investing in the youth structure as well.

Boredom though is a very real concern imo. Let's be honest the prem can be very boring at times - despite what the sky pundits will tell you.

Once we finish about 8th - the law of diminishing returns kicks in big time. You are going to have to spend massive amounts and expect only marginal improvement on the field.

Getting the club to where it is now is one thing. Not easy of course and they've done fantastic in doing so.

Getting the club to where it can compete with the big boys on a regular basis is a whole different thing. That would take years of extremely heavy investment in all areas and a huge chunk of luck.

I'll be more than happy if we manage to build something where we can consolidate a regular top half position and maybe get out in Europe from time to time.

Just have to look at the revenue differences to see how big the gap is.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Really need to come out with a statement.

Other than hope it doesn't happen what can they do / say. I dare say they will condem the plans in due course. But basically the are two options:-

1.) Boot the big 6 out of the PL

2.) Placate them with some tweaks to the existing structure.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Other than hope it doesn't happen what can they do / say. I dare say they will condem the plans in due course. But basically the are two options:-

1.) Boot the big 6 out of the PL

2.) Placate them with some tweaks to the existing structure.

If you boot the big 6 our why would they from a business standpoint choose to stay with us? Unless they can somehow bribe us into being a part of the SL

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If you boot the big 6 our why would they from a business standpoint choose to stay with us? Unless they can somehow bribe us into being a part of the SL

The 'big 6' will have broken a contract they have signed with the PL,  they may find themselves in court if any damages can be proven to have occurred.  The remaining  clubs and the premier  league will be preparing a statement that should clarify  their position. This is going to get messy and some clubs will struggle to survive.  

Â