Christian Purslow

villan-scott

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I doubt very much he has 5% of the company - that'd be £25m worth - I would imagine his shareholding was a much more nominal thing. 

Where has the 5% come from?

It's a figure I seem to remember. Maybe I have misremembered but it was in my head from somewhere. 

• Like 1

If his negotiation skills are as good as reputed, then we will miss that, too. Think about how many good deals we've pulled off under his watch. £20m for Chuk? And think about how good he was at keeping deals quiet.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I doubt very much he has 5% of the company - that'd be £25m worth - I would imagine his shareholding was a much more nominal thing. 

Where has the 5% come from?

I’d guess 2% of the purchase price of £60m, which would have been £1.2m at the time.  Obviously worth a lot more now, but the deal was done when we were worth £60m.

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I said it earlier but it strikes me as a step back and an unnecessary loss, if we could have avoided it. It’s all a bit frustrating when we are trying to push on but we keep having setbacks… 

Not really.

The only setback we've had is Purslow. The owners have now taken care of that and we can now kick on.

I know quite a few on here can't bring themselves to accept it right now but time is a healer.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not really.

The only setback we've had is Purslow. The owners have now taken care of that and we can now kick on.

I know quite a few on here can't bring themselves to accept it right now but time is a healer.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

But what was there to take care of? For all we know he has decided to leave because of some decisions being made? Perhaps NSWE are angry that he has decided to leave? Could be a whole host of things going on… we don’t yet know if this is part of the wider plan… 

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But what was there to take care of? For all we know he has decided to leave because of some decisions being made? Perhaps NSWE are angry that he has decided to leave? Could be a whole host of things going on… we don’t yet know if this is part of the wider plan… 

Taking care of moving him out the way and out the door in a respectable fashion. "Thanks Mr Purslow. You leave with our gratitude for what you've done".

It's been no suprise he was removed from footballing descisions and then also "offered another role" at the club - knowing full well he wouldn't accept it. Take it or leave it scenario if you will?

I guess i'm reading between the lines if you like.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If NWSE were generally unhappy with his tenure I doubt they’d have given him the opportunity to say his farewell bit in the announcement. 

My hunch is if Purslow wanted to stick around in a more reduced role, NWSE would happily have him around. I think they value his input on certain things. I suspect he himself probably wants to be the defacto main guy and that was no longer going to be the case.

It looks a professional approach on their part doing it that way.

I dare say they did give him the oppurtunity to stick around - probably knowing full well he wouldn't?

As you say, Purslow being Purslow see's himself as being more important than just carrying the owners bags or helping Doris in the canteen, theres no photo opportunities or soundbites in those roles.

It suits both parties to part ways now. A handshake and thanks for your service.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It looks a professional approach on their part doing it that way.

I dare say they did give him the oppurtunity to stick around - probably knowing full well he wouldn't?

As you say, Purslow being Purslow see's himself as being more important than just carrying the owners bags or helping Doris in the canteen, theres no photo opportunities or soundbites in those roles.

It suits both parties to part ways now. A handshake and thanks for your service.

I don’t think they give someone, who in your words had been “the only setback”, the opportunity to stick around if they think that little of him.

If they truly felt that, they would just get rid. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think they give someone, who in your words had been “the only setback”, the opportunity to stick around if they think that little of him.

If they truly felt that, they would just get rid. 

Which they have done?

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Which they have done?

So are you of the opinion they offered him a reduced role knowing full well he’d reject it and leave, or are you of the opinion they have just told him to piss off? 

Because you seem to be of the opinion both have happened.

I don’t think NWSE keep a bloke around in any capacity who they think is terrible at the job they’ve been given (five years after having given him it). 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If NWSE were generally unhappy with his tenure I doubt they’d have given him the opportunity to say his farewell bit in the announcement. 

Look at when Smith was released compared to Gerrard. Smith gets a nice little goodbye video, Gerrard gets a short “thanks and good luck” statement. Basically they were appreciative of Smith’s efforts, not so impressed with Gerrard’s. I think this little bit of professional courtesy suggests they have appreciated his work, as well as them giving an overview of the club’s rise while he’s been here in the club statement.

It’s probably very likely what has been speculated plenty of times already. The owners really rate Emery. Emery wants a particular director. Said director would take on some of Purslow’s responsibilities. Added to Heck’s appointment and there’s less for Purslow to do. And yes, there’s the Gerrard appointment. I think that probably crystallised the board’s thinking of essentially “Right, no more pissing about, let’s get moving on this.” Hence Emery.

My hunch is if Purslow wanted to stick around in a more reduced role, NWSE would happily have him around. I think they value his input on certain things. I suspect he himself probably wants to be the defacto main guy and that was no longer going to be the case.

I really suspect this is closely it. The only missing factor, too, is that Purslow himself may feel other ambitions, and he genuinely desires a change at his stage of life. He’s relatively young, and maybe he wants to enjoy a lateral and more personally fulfilling move out of unforgiving football — maybe towards the arts or education or nonprofits? That’s pure speculation on my part. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I really suspect this is closely it. The only missing factor, too, is that Purslow himself may feel other ambitions, and he genuinely desires a change at his stage of life. He’s relatively young, and maybe he wants to enjoy a lateral and more personally fulfilling move out of unforgiving football — maybe towards the arts or education or nonprofits? That’s pure speculation on my part. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Purslow finds himself in a "poacher turned gamekeeper" type role and finds himself on the other side of the fence in terms of trying to address some of the issues that he raised in the Sky interview a few weeks back.  I don't think that is a role that has been offered to him yet and so isn't the reason that he has moved on - but a senior role within the FA / Premier League allows him to fully focus on the football administration side of things and trying to establish proper "financial fair play" guidelines.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

Â