Christian Purslow

villan-scott

50 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

He brought in Smith which proved to be a masterstoke and sacked him a bit too soon. Then brought in Gerrard as they thought he was a young, up and coming manager who could be here for years. It hasn't worked out that way and I think come the WC break, they will make another change if/when results don't improve. 

He will know the pressure on this one given the season ticket waiting list, the north stand redevelopment and the shear importance of remaining in the Premier League. I can see him going all out for a proven manager like Poch/Tuchel/Rodgers and hopefully one of which takes up the post. The issue for him will be what to do if the 'big names' don't come.

I have faith that he will get the next one right. 

On the whole, I think he has done great things for the club and won't want that to go backwards.

Aint happening..

57 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sacked Smith at the right time, just replaced him with the wrong person.

I think Smith would have got the points on the board when his players returned but end of last season was probably the time to cut ties

Not rush in because Newcastle nearly hired his bestie 

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Have we brought in Tuchel yet ⏰ i prefer him over poch for some reason his personality and character is A1 aswell as coaching methods 

Either would be a signal of intent in a way that Slippy wasn't! 

2 hours ago, PeterSw said:

He brought in Smith which proved to be a masterstoke and sacked him a bit too soon. Then brought in Gerrard as they thought he was a young, up and coming manager who could be here for years. It hasn't worked out that way and I think come the WC break, they will make another change if/when results don't improve. 

He will know the pressure on this one given the season ticket waiting list, the north stand redevelopment and the shear importance of remaining in the Premier League. I can see him going all out for a proven manager like Poch/Tuchel/Rodgers and hopefully one of which takes up the post. The issue for him will be what to do if the 'big names' don't come.

I have faith that he will get the next one right. 

On the whole, I think he has done great things for the club and won't want that to go backwards.

I am going to be controversial here and say that I think his two mistakes were: (1) sacking Smith too late and (2) then probably hiring the wrong person.  I know it would have possibly upset even more fans if he has sacked Smith at the end of the 2020/21 season.  But I think the issues that ultimately led to Smith being sacked were already there (struggle to turn around poor runs of form, difference in form when Jack was not in the team, question marks over ability to attract higher profile signings).  I think we would have been a very attractive prospect for a lot of managers at the level we needed at that time.  Jack was still here, we got a couple of good signings in early, still had money to spend.  Definitely more reasons for a top manager to think that a top half finish was achievable with the possibility of maybe sneaking a top 8 challenge.  I would have hoped / expected that we'd have had a good chance of attracting a serious name.  It might even have been enough to convince Jack that it was worth giving us another season (although I think Man City might still have tempted him).  I certainly think we would have had more names / options than Gerrard.  Of course had the answer still been Gerrard then the "fan revolt" would have been much bigger.  But if we had got a genuine top level manager then I think we'd have said it was a bit hard on Smith but it was the right thing to do for the club to try and kick on. 

Overall though I think that the club are in a much better position than we have been for a long time - certainly in terms of everything that is happening off the pitch.  But the on field issues are definitely piing the pressure on.  I am sure that Stevie G will be pointing to 4 matches undefeated but if definitely feels like we are 3 or 4 points off what we should have got from those 4 matches (although for me the issue is more about the performance levels rather than the actual results).

Edited by allani

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m no fan of Purslow but what is he meant to say in public if asked about Gerrard. He has to back his employees.  What happens behind closed doors is a different story. 

Some may miss the brashness of a Wyness who would publicly call out managers but this how things are done now.

Yeah I'll judge Purslow on his actions over the next week or two rather than what he may have said.  If we limp to defeat on Sunday and the Holte turns, if he doesn't act then then I'll lose all faith in him.  I still think Gerrard's appointment is his only major cock up.  Yes other things may have gone awry along the way but I think there was logic behind them, whereas he got a bit blinded by Gerrard the player as a few on here still are.  He's only human and can make mistakes.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I'll judge Purslow on his actions over the next week or two rather than what he may have said.  If we limp to defeat on Sunday and the Holte turns, if he doesn't act then then I'll lose all faith in him.  I still think Gerrard's appointment is his only major cock up.  Yes other things may have gone awry along the way but I think there was logic behind them, whereas he got a bit blinded by Gerrard the player as a few on here still are.  He's only human and can make mistakes.

Gerrard or Gerrard I think he’s a bit of a prick. But his job isn’t to be liked so doesn’t matter what I or others think. 

Hopefully he does right by the club and pulls the trigger on Gerrard soon.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's nice to read a balanced assessment.

Nobody has a crystal ball. He obviously did what he thought was right for the club at the time, it doesn't make him a prick just because that decision has proved to be the wrong one. 

9 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Nobody has a crystal ball. He obviously did what he thought was right for the club at the time, it doesn't make him a prick just because that decision has proved to be the wrong one. 

Whilst true,  purslow shouldn't be at the extreme end of opinion, one way or the other. As it stands the significant majority of the fan base want him gone. He shouldn't be waiting until everyone does before he fires him. If he does, then he's let his personal relationship hinder his judgement and it raises some questions over his ability to get it right next time. Particularly given his last stint as a senior figure on the football side of a club ended in failure.

Gerrard should have been sacked already. I don't know why he's still here or what anyone expects him to achieve after repeatedly making the same mistakes. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Whilst true,  purslow shouldn't be at the extreme end of opinion, one way or the other. As it stands the significant majority of the fan base want him gone. He shouldn't be waiting until everyone does before he fires him. If he does, then he's let his personal relationship hinder his judgement and it raises some questions over his ability to get it right next time. Particularly given his last stint as a senior figure on the football side of a club ended in failure.

Gerrard should have been sacked already. I don't know why he's still here or what anyone expects him to achieve after repeatedly making the same mistakes. 

Whilst I absolutely agree he should not let his personal relationship hinder his judgement, I would hope and expect he is not just basing his decision on fans opinion. I imagine fans opinion is just one of several factors he needs to consider before arriving at a position. 

If it was as simple as gauging fan opinion and acting on that we could do away with the CEO role and just conduct a monthly fans survey. We'd end up paying a lot of compensation though. 

3 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Except he hired his mate with no experience....if he hired Sean Dyche and failed its a different story

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m no fan of Purslow but what is he meant to say in public if asked about Gerrard. He has to back his employees.  What happens behind closed doors is a different story. 

Some may miss the brashness of a Wyness who would publicly call out managers but this how things are done now.

Didnt he make a stupid remark to the media at end of 2021 season that he was disappointed Smith didnt get us to Europe

Actually shambolic comment now 😂

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt he make a stupid remark to the media at end of 2021 season that he was disappointed Smith didnt get us to Europe

Actually shambolic comment now 😂

The guy is full of it and out of touch with how hard the Premier League is.

I remember when we got promoted he said we’re not just here to make up the numbers, we’re here to challenge. Smith was sitting next to him looking really uncomfortable. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The guy is full of it and out of touch with how hard the Premier League is.

I remember when we got promoted he said we’re not just here to make up the numbers, we’re here to challenge. Smith was sitting next to him looking really uncomfortable. 

But then at one point Dean Smith said his aim was to finish first and Purslow looked shocked lol 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is incredibly worrying.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-purslow-gerrard-manager-25261776

What Christian Purslow said when asked about Steven Gerrard Aston Villa future

The Villa CEO was present at this week’s Fans’ Consultation Group meeting to discuss Villa’s two new crest designs ahead of the chosen one - either a round 82-style or ‘gas lamp’ medieval shield shape - featuring on next season’s new kit.

Purslow, meanwhile, was asked about Villa’s current form and, according to Villa blogger MOMS, stressed his side had been “unlucky” in recent games and, with a bit more fortune in the final third, it could have easily been six points instead of two against Leeds and Forest.

Elsewhere, it’s understood that Gerrard has the full backing from Purslow and the club’s owners, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, while it was also cited that replacing the manager - W8 D8 L13 so far in 2022 - hasn't even been spoken about despite concerns amongst some sections of supporters. Villa sit in 16th but, having taken nine points from nine this season, Gerrard’s position remains a strong one with the club hoping Villa can pick up in the next few weeks.

The head coach now enters a three-game week against Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford and it’s understood Purslow and Villa’s hierarchy hope Villa will be in and amongst the top-half of the Premier League by the time the six-week World Cup break comes around next month which, in turn, will then give Gerrard the chance to reset and to really kick-start Villa’s season heading into 2023.

Staying with Purslow and, at this week’s meeting, he outlined how the loss of Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara had been pivotal to Villa’s poor start to the season. It’s hoped that Kamara will be back for the Liverpool game on Boxing Day while Diego Carlos could make his return as soon as January to give Villa a much-needed boost ahead of a strong finish to the current campaign.

“The loss of Diego Carlos was cited as pivotal,” MOMS outlined. “Purslow was undoubtedly impressed with what he’s seen by Carlos on and off the pitch, adding how he’d have been Villa captain if he spoke frequent English.”

Edited by His Name Is Death

This article is mental. It's short and has many insane things.

Christian Purslow believes Aston Villa have been “unlucky” in their most recent fixtures against Leeds United and Nottingham Forest with Steven Gerrard’s side failing to take maximum points which would have seen them rocket into the top half.

Purslow, meanwhile, was asked about Villa’s current form and, according to Villa blogger MOMS, stressed his side had been “unlucky” in recent games and, with a bit more fortune in the final third, it could have easily been six points instead of two against Leeds and Forest.

Villa sit in 16th but, having taken nine points from nine this season, Gerrard’s position remains a strong one with the club hoping Villa can pick up in the next few weeks.

it’s understood Purslow and Villa’s hierarchy hope Villa will be in and amongst the top-half of the Premier League by the time the six-week World Cup break comes around next month which, in turn, will then give Gerrard the chance to reset and to really kick-start Villa’s season heading into 2023.

“The loss of Diego Carlos was cited as pivotal,” MOMS outlined. “Purslow was undoubtedly impressed with what he’s seen by Carlos on and off the pitch, adding how he’d have been Villa captain if he spoke frequent English.”

Â