Christian Purslow

villan-scott

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We don't know for sure of course, but it was widely reported that Edens was the driver behind us offering the job to Henry.

That's worrying if true. If they thought Henry is a good idea as manager, maybe they think Gerrard can turn this mess around.

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was suso a purslow appointment? Or a edens/sawiris appointment.  Or was it a collective agreement?

Dunno how you can throw lange as a failure in there.

Its bizarre you have even thrown smiths name in there as he although failed last year the man saved our club. Absolute master stroke appointment at the time

I’m not throwing anyone in, just listing the major football appointments made under Purslow.

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m not throwing anyone in, just listing the major football appointments made under Purslow.

But again thats speculation we dont know if it was just purslow. Edens and sawiris were most likely involved in the decisions to recruit people

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Getting the appointment wrong is not the issue, it's the dragging of the feet to do anything about it. This time last year it was about "continuous improvement". We haven't improved an inch since then and it doesn't look like anything will be done about it any time soon.

Continuous improvement was a brilliant spin to sack Smith who only improved us every season but when your hero declines the performance and is unsackable even though he is bringing the club on a huge decline with the biggest wage budget in club history

Questions need to be asked and if Purslow wont sack his hero he should be sacked too

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Was suso a purslow appointment? Or a edens/sawiris appointment.  Or was it a collective agreement?

Dunno how you can throw lange as a failure in there.

Its bizarre you have even thrown smiths name in there as he although failed last year the man saved our club. Absolute master stroke appointment at the time

Lange is the guy in charge of half the transfer committee and has had no say in the manager getting appointed and his signings Traore, Sanson getting dropped

If this was Monchi for example Gerrard would have been dumped a long time ago for going into business for himself

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lange is the guy in charge of half the transfer committee and has had no say in the manager getting appointed and his signings Traore, Sanson getting dropped

If this was Monchi for example Gerrard would have been dumped a long time ago for going into business for himself

Yeah i would agree with that. Gerrard has completely frozen sanson out. Hasnt given dendonker much playing time either.

I dont think langes transfers have been that bad at all really. The problem is the manager not lange or purslow

Something that stood out from the AGM notes.

Christian stated the promotion from the Championship was almost singlehandedly down to Jack.

What a moron.

No wonder he's behind appointments like Gerrard with opinions like that.

Purslow and Gerrard out.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I sat at a meeting when Wes Edens and Nassif Sawiris arrived at Villa - the day they went to the friendly at Walsall - Wes Edens said the story about Henry was nonsense, we never spoke to him, we were never interested.

The cynic in me says that it's in their best interests to deny it, but I certainly hope they were telling the truth. The last 15 months doesn't leave me feeling particularly confident, I must admit.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 20:11, VillaParkAvenue said:

Smith, Suso, Lange, Gerrard… For a club with European ambitions, those names aren’t that impressive (although Smith did a decent job).

DS more than fulfilled his remit. Got us up, kept us up (just) and then established us as mid table team. Not just Grealish but likes of Mings massively improved under his watch aswell.

So if Purslow really did steer ownership away from Henry to DS that's why he was in credit and trusted with the Gerrard suggestion. He's got this one wrong but then majority of clubs get a manager or two wrong in a decade spell and very few of them get sacked.

Who appointed Nuno at Spurs for example? Or Benitez at Everton. Those CEOs are still there if it wasn't just Levy or Moshiri.

Big problem though we're wasting endless games giving Gerrard more time as then season becomes a write off as regards a serious top 10 challenge.

36 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Smith hit his ceiling, the club gambled in the wrong direction. I don’t see them making the same mistake twice when replacing Gerrard. 

Its a wasted year that put us back to where we were in summer 2020 because Purslow has an arrogant obsession with Gerrard. Newcastle for example have powered past us and we will struggle to even catch up with them

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I'm reading that he told the FCG that the 5 year plan, being about more than just performances on the field and league position, is generally on-target.

Can somebody remind him we're a football club?

It was the AGM for the Trust, not the FCG. 

As strange as it sounds, Purslows job is to grow the top line income of the club and put structures in place that mean the football can develop - if the top line income is growing and we have stronger infrastructures, then he's doing his job well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It was the AGM for the Trust, not the FCG. 

As strange as it sounds, Purslows job is to grow the top line income of the club and put structures in place that mean the football can develop - if the top line income is growing and we have stronger infrastructures, then he's doing his job well.

But the football isn't developing, if anything we've gone backwards in the past 12 months.

I get what you're saying, his job as CEO is to grow the Villa brand, and with investment in youth, stadium expansion and now foreign academies, all that is being put in place.  But the ultimate goal of a football club is to play football, and we are barely doing that at the minute.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It does seem odd as they turned down £25m for Dougie. Unless they’re convinced they can get him to sign, the big fat nothing we’ll get for him in the summer isn’t going to help us bring in a replacement.

And should we come to replace Mings and Carlos*, how much are they expecting to bring in for those when they’re 31/32?

This is why it was imperative to kick on and become a team pushing for Europe with the additions of the older, more expensive players, because we are not going to be getting much in the way of a sell on fee for Carlos, Coutinho, Digne…particularly if they’re part of a lower midtable side.

I’m not sure who they’re thinking of. While I tend to kick back against the idea we’ve “wasted” money on the squad, I don’t think we’d bring much more than what we paid for in most cases AND pick up a better player. Mings, I think we could get £30m, are we guaranteed to buy a better defender for that? Massively unconvinced.

Maybe someone like Cash, we’d pick up a large amount and could replace for less. But I don’t think we want to sell Matty…

*for the record, I’d be fine with either remaining at the club for the remainder of their careers (particularly Mings) in some capacity, but in that scenario that doesn’t help us with the one in one out policy.

i really hope purslow has misspoken or his quotes have been taken out of context (as what we have seen has been paraphrased rather than directly quoted)

because if we're one in one out then we're absolutely f***ed for the reasons you mention

i do think we have wasted money by the way we're treating players we're willing to sell. chucking the likes of sanson into the u23s sends a clear message to potential buyers that we're open to selling at a cut price

the mad thing is this all stems from the mcginn captaincy. it means he's guaranteed a start and the likes of marv and sanson don't get a look in so their value continues to plummet. we've been utterly shite in midfield and i refuse to accept either of them would've been worse...meanwhile their value remains up as they're part of the first team

The whole thing about the villa philosophy and an 8 year old lb being coached to play the same way as Digne is absolute utter bullshit.

We've allowed Gerrard to play grind out results football to stay in the job. He's not implementing any style or way of football that is going to run throughout the club. 

Purslow has just become a politician now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its a wasted year that put us back to where we were in summer 2020 because Purslow has an arrogant obsession with Gerrard. Newcastle for example have powered past us and we will struggle to even catch up with them

Correct.

Purslow has made it seem like tiny little Aston Villa are so lucky to have the star name Stevie G come to the club and he obviously still thinks that way because if it was anyone else they'd be sacked by now.

It has been a terrible appointment and Purslow's disappearance from the media over the past few months is no surprise.

Would be happy to see the back of the pair of them.

Edited by dubliner

Â