Christian Purslow

villan-scott

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I thought Purslow was doing a good job, but there seems to be underlying issues on the strategic direction coming to light which makes me doubt his ability. Maybe it's best for him to move on and then we go for a proven progressive CEO who will implement a modern strategy. 

I agree.

One minute we were after continuous improvement, pushing for Europe and I thought  our plan was to sign young players who we can develop and sell for more if they chose to move on.

How have we gone from this to accepting going backwards and signing older players  with less (or little) sell on value.

It appears a mess from the outside and the buck stops with Purslow. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The relationship between Purslow and Gerrard is the root of this problem.

With another manager, Purslow might have dug his heels in and simply told the manager to use the players scouted by the club. But with Gerrard, Purslow got weak in the knees and allowed him to throw the transfer policy overboard in the search of quick fixes.

Yep. The burden on the wage bill of this strategy will stem our ability to spend and improve the squad going forwards. 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Really hope for his sake the owners are happy with the non footballing side of the club because the footballing side is a dumpster fire.

They are happy as long as the club is increasing revenues. The 1st team and their performances are secondary now - hence the window we have had. 

Just now, Tayls said:

They are happy as long as the club is increasing revenues. The 1st team and their performances are secondary now - hence the window we have had. 

Honestly don't think that's true and really hope not.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly don't think that's true and really hope not.

Pump money into projects which will increase our overall value when it comes to resale. Having that fancy new youth training centre and north stand will be great for future owners.

If the first team happen to play well during that period then that would be a bonus. 

Whilst Gerrards coaching ability is brought into question, there is no way that we can say the owners have supported Gerrard or whoever is behind the recruitment now - who knows anymore - sufficiently. It’s been a joke. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Pump money into projects which will increase our overall value when it comes to resale. Having that fancy new youth training centre and north stand will be great for future owners.

If the first team happen to play well during that period then that would be a bonus. 

Whilst Gerrards coaching ability is brought into question, there is no way that we can say the owners have supported Gerrard or whoever is behind the recruitment now - who knows anymore - sufficiently. It’s been a joke. 

Salaries also cost money. Gerrard wanted older players, they generally have higher salaries. It's the Steve Bruce defense of not having millions to spend. Owners are spending all right. 

23 minutes ago, Tayls said:

it's not increasing revenues sitting bottom at the table with Gerrard, as no one will wanna come and watch!

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

it's not increasing revenues sitting bottom at the table with Gerrard, as no one will wanna come and watch!

Well most have already paid for their season ticket already! So they will turn up to games and they will buy beer and pies. 

37 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I truly believe he is prepared to go down with the Gerrard ship. 

Owners will need to act because Purslow will not sack his mate. 

Thanks for letting us know.  It's good to have in the know insights from posters who know Purslow well and have talked this through with him. 😉

Edited by Stephen_Evans
  • Like 1

I am now blaming Purslow for this debacle. Gerrard is still employed and we have royally screwed up the transfer window.

Yes Christian this is now your problem. You didnt fire Gerrard Sunday when you should of and get to work on retaining our good players and recruiting the obvious gaps.

Now you have a threadbare squad, a manager who our competitors are praying you keep around for the next few games, a **** up coaching staff oh and unhappy star players. 

• Like 3

Seems a complete lack of plan once the window actually started. 

The Sarr one still shows me we had no forward thinking and were getting desperate. 

19th in the league and abysmal form throughout 2022. 

And we don't look like anything is going to change. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ccfcman said:

I wonder, is Purslow's head turned with the Villa Park project? In theory it's not a bad thing, all things commercial should be in his purview but this football club has fundamental issues on the pitch.

Purslow's Purview, good name for a twitter account that.

• Haha 1

Â