Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Why did he pick him then, without considering any other managers? His record was ok but it was hardly comprehensive. As others have rightly pointed out Purslow has never been involved in football decisions until he came to us. 

From the information we have Purslow should not be involved in football decisions, if he makes the call on the next manager then we are making the same mistakes as we have with Gerrard, another gamble.

How do you know others were not considered? We don't know was approached and who wasn't.  

He was appointed i feel as he is young and could raise the profile of the club. Despite what he has done here he is a big name in the game. So i can see the appeal but his inexperience is for everyone to see

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This may sound overly critical but I'd say there are a few more bad calls than just hiring Gerrard. Jesus wasn't a successful appointment and the jury is still out on Lange, IMO. The change in transfer targets under Gerrard, towards older players on high wages, was also cleared with Purslow. 

I think this is being way overly negative. 

55 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This may sound overly critical but I'd say there are a few more bad calls than just hiring Gerrard. Jesus wasn't a successful appointment and the jury is still out on Lange, IMO. The change in transfer targets under Gerrard, towards older players on high wages, was also cleared with Purslow. 

the price increases as well to watch that crap yesterday 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think people forget the disaster that was our transfer business after getting promoted. We could quite easily have got relegated that year. 

We started the season with Wesley and Davis as our premier league strikers. But yeah Purslow has never made an error. 

And getting 100 million for Grealish is hardly worthy of praise. It was a release clause for one of the best players in the league. 

Was our business a disaster that summer ? Or was it an mixture if a new squad and inexperienced top level manager ? You are looking for things imo to back up your overall malaise towards Villa right now… name me a CEO in football who hasn’t made a bum call on a manager or signing… What has Purslow got so spectacularly wrong ? 

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think any criticism of him hiring Gerrard has to be tempered with the fact that he oversaw the best period in recent history. Hiring Smith, keeping Grealish, going up, staying up with a fan as captain and a fan as manager was something very special.

Gerrard for me was always a punt, it's gone wrong, but that doesn't make Purslow and the board suddenly a bunch of words removed.  

Of course it doesn’t.

But here’s the word removed scale:

time of sacking: now ————————->4 weeks

%word removed: 0% —————————->  100%

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

We’ve completely stagnated in ten months and there’s been little continuous improvement, so Purslow needs to standby his words. 

We've gone a million miles backwards the project the ideals the philosophy we all agreed and bought into on the footballing side is in the bin.

4 hours ago, tinker said:

He destroyed what he has built and we are in a worse position than this time last year with leading players not happy and new players on huge contracts with no resale value offering no improvements on the pitch. If we go down the whole clubs future is at risk and that's not exaggerating the situation with the type of contracts we have gave these signings.

Smith was judged , from Purslow's comments , from poor performances from the beginning of the year, 2021, to when he was sacked. I'm pretty sure Gerrard's record in 2022 is worse.   

Gerrard would have been a fool to turn us down, huge pay rise, in the top league and with a budget to spend and a fan boy as his boss. 

Our next manager has to be a major improvement and I don't trust Purslow to pick him or her. I just hope Gareth Southgate doesn't become available because that's the type of appointment I would be expecting from Purslow. 

Yep the Gerrard gamble looks to have failed pretty badly.

That still doesn't make them idiots, thye've made a mistake, up until the Gerrard appointment/Smith sacking it was hard to find fault. Take another gamble on Gerrard's replacement and it fails too then we'd be in a situation where they've got more wrong than right on that front but not now. 

If Purslow doesn't make the mistake of sticking with Gerrard for too long, which by the continuous improvement yardstick he can't really surely? Then I'd expect a good appointment for the next manager, they'll be after a proven coach who is known to improve players.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Was our business a disaster that summer ? Or was it an mixture if a new squad and inexperienced top level manager ? You are looking for things imo to back up your overall malaise towards Villa right now… name me a CEO in football who hasn’t made a bum call on a manager or signing… What has Purslow got so spectacularly wrong ? 

Oh I've no doubt it was also a mixture of the two things you mentioned. But as I said, starting a season trying to survive with Wesley and Davis as your only recognised strikers. That's awful planning. 

We don't survive the last day and I think that summer business gets viewed a lot different. 

My point is purslow hasn't just made 1 error. It's just this latest error is more obvious. It's allowed other clubs to fly away from us and has destroyed a lot of positivity and goodwill. 

Not really what you want as you plan to extend the stadium with a huge project. 

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think any criticism of him hiring Gerrard has to be tempered with the fact that he oversaw the best period in recent history. Hiring Smith, keeping Grealish, going up, staying up with a fan as captain and a fan as manager was something very special.

Gerrard for me was always a punt, it's gone wrong, but that doesn't make Purslow and the board suddenly a bunch of words removed.  

Actually I disagree. Hiring Smith sure great (but also the move practically anyone would have made), keeping Grealish pure luck on him not getting his move and throwing money at the problem, then just falling into typical cronyism of people of his ilk by hiring the Golden Boy who he desperately wants to be pals with. He’s as bad as any corporate knob in the industry and the club is a victim of him giving opportunities to his mates and wasting a whole bunch of money in the process. He isn’t much better than the British government. 

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

but also the move practically anyone would have made

I remember being part of a minority that wanted Smith while Bruce was still in charge. Yeah, for me a no brainer but still they had to have the insight and the balls to do it.

49 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Oh I've no doubt it was also a mixture of the two things you mentioned. But as I said, starting a season trying to survive with Wesley and Davis as your only recognised strikers. That's awful planning. 

We don't survive the last day and I think that summer business gets viewed a lot different. 

My point is purslow hasn't just made 1 error. It's just this latest error is more obvious. It's allowed other clubs to fly away from us and has destroyed a lot of positivity and goodwill. 

Not really what you want as you plan to extend the stadium with a huge project. 

What gets me is how quickly people have turned and somehow destroyed a lot of goodwill. They’ve literally spent hundreds of millions on players and the season is only 4 games old. Yes the end of last seasons form has continued into this but we are still a WIP and one or two away. 

Still have a bit of faith that Gerrard could turn this all around but with the calibre of manager currently available makes his position risky if this poor form continues. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Still have a bit of faith that Gerrard could turn this all around but with the calibre of manager currently available makes his position risky if this poor form continues. 

The simple answer has been staring us all in the face.  We move Villa to Scotland so we can get Top  3

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The Leon Bailey situation is a perfect example of why this guy hasn't just made 1 error. 

We were told that the club would have a plan and an identity so that when we lost key players or the manager changed things could continue to the plan. 

We invest close to £50 million in wide players like Traore and Bailey, 1 has been loaned out and 1 looks like he wants out.

£30 million invested in Buendia for him to sit on the bench most weeks. 

£25 million invested in Mings and giving him the armband to pretty much destroy that relationship in 1 summer. 

Doesn't look like a seamless change to me. 

Great post

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The Leon Bailey situation is a perfect example of why this guy hasn't just made 1 error. 

We were told that the club would have a plan and an identity so that when we lost key players or the manager changed things could continue to the plan. 

We invest close to £50 million in wide players like Traore and Bailey, 1 has been loaned out and 1 looks like he wants out.

£30 million invested in Buendia for him to sit on the bench most weeks. 

£25 million invested in Mings and giving him the armband to pretty much destroy that relationship in 1 summer. 

Doesn't look like a seamless change to me. 

The wide players were for the Smith 4-3-3, so we go and get a manager who likes to play a weird as fudge 4-3-2-1 with 8s as fullback cover and a huge hole in the middle who then plays a 4-3-1-2 to fit Ings and Watkins in. So yep, Continuity zero.

• Like 1

To interested in his own ego and basking the limelight , bringing in SG is the same as when he brought Cole to Liverpool all about showing off the big names.Our transfer policy is being shown up , didn't Jesus slate Purslow when he left for interfering ?

CEO's make mistakes with managers all the time , just look at the how many clubs change manager but in SG he clearly went for the big name and the transfer's that followed are the same.The Owners need to call him out on it , it's their cash he is wasting 

Â