Christian Purslow

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he 

- Hired Dean Smith

- Has steadily increased our commercial value

- Got 100 mill for Grealish

I'm sure there are a shedload of other good things he has done in his time here.

I even have a feeling he might have been pivotal on getting NSWE for us too!

You realise that AVFC is a much bigger business than just what we see on a matchday?

Dean Smith was sacked

I pretty sure the £300m or so spent on new players has offset any commercial value we have gained and in the position we are now I doubt the value is a high as a month ago.

The 100m for Grealish was , as far as I'm concerned , a minor disaster. If Newcastle and Palace can hold onto their star left winger then why couldn't we ? 

A football club is about the results on the pitch and a connection with its fans , Purslow has managed to destroy both. 

Edited by tinker
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

A decade, max? That’s not long in the grand scheme of things is it. We were a top 6 club in the 90s does that make Deadly a genius? 

Let's focus on the current era and Purslow has no idea about football and how we was able to bring Steven in with basically no process is bewildering.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Point out the players we signed under this " solid transfer policy " , tell me how they are doing now, and how those would have benefited us now.

There are many things wrong, but this circular myth about " transfer policy " ain't one IMO.

Ings for one, was signed under Dean Smith.

The massive investments in the youth system etc are also constantly pointed out.

There are other clubs signing older players than hours and fans aren't going into meltdown.

We sign young players all the time.

mm Ings was a Purslow signing, its well known about that. Buendia/Bailey/McGinn/Watkins/ Em/ Cash then we start signing older players

Targett and Trezeguet has played better for Villa than Digne and Coutinho

"After a good start to last season, this year we have not seen the continuous improvement in results, performances and league position which we have all been looking for.

"For this reason we have decided to make a change now to allow time for a new head coach to make an impact. The process of replacing Dean will now begin and the club will update supporters in due course.

"When Dean joined us in October 2018 our team was really struggling in the Championship. He immediately transformed the atmosphere and performances and achieved the ultimate success of leading Villa back to the Premier League within the same season - a rare feat.

"The board would like to sincerely thank Dean for his many excellent achievements, on and off the pitch, during this time.

"Everyone knows how much Aston Villa means to Dean and his family. He has represented the club with distinction and dignity - universally liked and respected by everybody associated with Aston Villa - our staff, players and supporters alike. We wish him the very best."

no pressure Christian from this statement last season, do the right thing and sack your mate

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12461411/dean-smith-aston-villa-sack-head-coach-after-five-successive-premier-league-defeats

• Like 1

It seems kind of funny to me that the reason for sacking a guy twelve months ago was 'not seeing continuous improvements in results, performances and league position' and then knowing that the guy who uttered those words is going to take forever and a day to sack the current manager.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It seems kind of funny to me that the reason for sacking a guy twelve months ago was 'not seeing continuous improvements in results, performances and league position' and then knowing that the guy who uttered those words is going to take forever and a day to sack the current manager.

I still think people are overstating this whole Gerrard-Purslow friendship thing. At the end of the day Gerrard doing badly reflects badly on Purslow and I believe he'll act soon.

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That would purely be emotional and devoid of logic IMO

Gerrard being shite doesn't all of a sudden make Deano the answer.

Exactly. And what's even more bizarre is Smith has done nothing with Norwich since to suggest he's worth having back.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think any criticism of him hiring Gerrard has to be tempered with the fact that he oversaw the best period in recent history. Hiring Smith, keeping Grealish, going up, staying up with a fan as captain and a fan as manager was something very special.

Gerrard for me was always a punt, it's gone wrong, but that doesn't make Purslow and the board suddenly a bunch of words removed.  

He destroyed what he has built and we are in a worse position than this time last year with leading players not happy and new players on huge contracts with no resale value offering no improvements on the pitch. If we go down the whole clubs future is at risk and that's not exaggerating the situation with the type of contracts we have gave these signings.

Smith was judged , from Purslow's comments , from poor performances from the beginning of the year, 2021, to when he was sacked. I'm pretty sure Gerrard's record in 2022 is worse.   

Gerrard would have been a fool to turn us down, huge pay rise, in the top league and with a budget to spend and a fan boy as his boss. 

Our next manager has to be a major improvement and I don't trust Purslow to pick him or her. I just hope Gareth Southgate doesn't become available because that's the type of appointment I would be expecting from Purslow. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure we can claim that yet. Other teams are flying past us and the goodwill and positivity round the club are the lowest it's been since we've returned to the league. 

Yeah, well I am making the assumption the next manager is reasonably competent there. The overall point is that all the problems would be resolved by appointing a better manager, which I fully expect us to do by the time the Man City game is done.

If not then I’d agree Purslow would have made a big mistake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He has been involved with far more good decisions/actions at the club than bad ones. Both he and the owners have been here 4 years. In that time we have gone from languishing in the bottom half of the championship to a club now with a fan base rightly feeling aggrieved, given the investment in the playing squad, that we are struggling in the bottom third of the Premier League. You can add in the improvement to the training ground, the works starting on the stadium expansion etc next year, the new inner city academy, the huge improvement to our youth set up. 

The appointment of Gerrard has proven to be a poor one. I had my doubts when he was appointed but I could see the logic. A young manager who had done a good job with Rangers and a huge name that could help raise the profile of the club and help attract some big name players.

As it stands he has a success rate of 50% with managers. It happens that you will make the wrong choices and there is not a CEO/owner that hasn't made at least one wrong choice. What is crucial now though is that he acts decisively, and certainly that he doesn't let his apparent close relationship with Gerrard cloud his judgement, and that he also has to get the next appointment right. 

Exactly the way i see it. Dont believe all this nonsense he was only appointed because he is mates with purslow. Purslow isnt going to risk his job and reputation just because gerrards his mate.

I could see the logic just has not worked out. Its similar to when we wanted Henry.  It goes to show top players dont make top managers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly the way i see it. Dont believe all this nonsense he was only appointed because he is mates with purslow. Purslow isnt going to risk his job and reputation just because gerrards his mate.

I could see the logic just has not worked out. Its similar to when we wanted Henry.  It goes to show top players dont make top managers.

Why did he pick him then, without considering any other managers? His record was ok but it was hardly comprehensive. As others have rightly pointed out Purslow has never been involved in football decisions until he came to us. 

From the information we have Purslow should not be involved in football decisions, if he makes the call on the next manager then we are making the same mistakes as we have with Gerrard, another gamble.

10 hours ago, tinker said:

Dean Smith was sacked

I pretty sure the £300m or so spent on new players has offset any commercial value we have gained and in the position we are now I doubt the value is a high as a month ago.

The 100m for Grealish was , as far as I'm concerned , a minor disaster. If Newcastle and Palace can hold onto their star left winger then why couldn't we ? 

A football club is about the results on the pitch and a connection with its fans , Purslow has managed to destroy both. 

I mean, I’m no Purslow fanboy but this is harsh. Since the new owners have come in the only call they’ve got wrong is Gerrard. That’s it. If they act decisively and get the next appointment right then there’s shedloads of goodwill to the current regime to see them through. 

• Like 3

The problem is that in big business and politics nobody puts their hands up and says sorry I made a mistake, so Purslow is not either.

The owners should be saying to Purslow, fire your "pet" now or we will do it for you.

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I mean, I’m no Purslow fanboy but this is harsh. Since the new owners have come in the only call they’ve got wrong is Gerrard. That’s it. If they act decisively and get the next appointment right then there’s shedloads of goodwill to the current regime to see them through. 

This may sound overly critical but I'd say there are a few more bad calls than just hiring Gerrard. Jesus wasn't a successful appointment and the jury is still out on Lange, IMO. The change in transfer targets under Gerrard, towards older players on high wages, was also cleared with Purslow. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he 

- Hired Dean Smith

- Has steadily increased our commercial value

- Got 100 mill for Grealish

I'm sure there are a shedload of other good things he has done in his time here.

I even have a feeling he might have been pivotal on getting NSWE for us too!

You realise that AVFC is a much bigger business than just what we see on a matchday?

6rhx2w.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I expect Kendrick to be banned from Villa Park after this, cant see Preecey or Gregg doing similar

is he still a journalist at VP then? thought he was just a fan now...they can't ban us all from VP!

maybe his dentist can tell us? ;)@Mat Kendrick's Dentist

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This may sound overly critical but I'd say there are a few more bad calls than just hiring Gerrard. Jesus wasn't a successful appointment and the jury is still out on Lange, IMO. The change in transfer targets under Gerrard, towards older players on high wages, was also cleared with Purslow. 

I think people forget the disaster that was our transfer business after getting promoted. We could quite easily have got relegated that year. 

We started the season with Wesley and Davis as our premier league strikers. But yeah Purslow has never made an error. 

And getting 100 million for Grealish is hardly worthy of praise. It was a release clause for one of the best players in the league. 

• Like 1

Â