John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Lansbury first off the bench there.

Even though he never played I always felt he was very much part of the dressing room culture. 

Why are you talking about him like he's dead? :P 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Even if this is the case, I'm still chuffed about the window we've had. SJM staying is just a nice little cherrie on the top. Any new signings is just bones.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Edited by Powehi
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Amazing news, he deserves to be well rewarded for last season. A 5 year contract is sometimes a bit of a risk and I'm usually a bit wary of them, as we have been stung badly by 5 year contracts in the past. I'm not worried about McGinn though, his attitude is superb and he has the ability to play at the top level for the rest of his career. We've obviously also protected an asset, if one of the bug boys come calling they'll have to pay too dollar for him.

Good move by the club. 

My fear is 5 years isn’t enough. I will weep when a 29 year old McGinn lifts his last CL trophy for us before finally succumbing to 4 years of speculation about his move to Real Madrid. But he’s just got nothing else to win with Villa 😔

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11781628/aston-villas-john-mcginn-delighted-to-have-agreed-a-new-deal

"There are a lot of new signings.

"A lot of boys have had to get their visas and stuff sorted, get used to the cuisine in Birmingham and the temperature. It took me seven months to get used to it.

"They are nice lads, no egos, I think that is important, with Villa being in the Premier League.

"Speaking to some of the experienced boys they all say Villa had a reputation for bad characters and big egos.

"I don't think we have that now.

"It is an important trait to have for a hard-working club. I think they have recruited well in that sense."

14 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Probably one of our highest earners with his new contract. The club is making a statement by showing the other players that they will be rewarded if they put in the work and deliver on the pitch.

Agree that's what they've done but you don't see many players with the attitude, workrate and ability of a John McGinn so you? 

Every team needs a JM and I really hope he stays free of any long term injury because I honestly believe he'll be held in the same regard as Milner is in 10 years. 

Just now, troon_villan said:

Every team needs a JM and I really hope he stays free of any long term injury because I honestly believe he'll be held in the same regard as Milner is in 10 years. 

He does remind me of Milner.

• Like 2

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It will be interesting... 

I live in Aberdeen and the Scots don't think he's good at all, they don't think he can step up.

That's not my opinion but we'll wait and see I guess!

Not my opinion mate (as a Scot) . It is of course possible I'm being subconsciously biased but I was calling for him to be called up years ago when Scott Brown was starting to decline. Back then he was nowhere near the player I seen last season. 

• Like 1

Brown is so overrated, always has been.

I've not met anyone up here who rates McGinn, they say he's a headless chicken, runs down cul-de-sacs (at international level), I wonder if that's because Scotland try to play with him as their focus? Don't know as I've never seen him play at international level...

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It will be interesting... 

I live in Aberdeen and the Scots don't think he's good at all, they don't think he can step up.

That's not my opinion but we'll wait and see I guess!

Some Scots thought he was only worth about £2.75m, hey ho 😎

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Brown is so overrated, always has been.

I've not met anyone up here who rates McGinn, they say he's a headless chicken, runs down cul-de-sacs (at international level), I wonder if that's because Scotland try to play with him as their focus? Don't know as I've never seen him play at international level...

Agree about Brown's ability, not to mention being a cretin. I just meant he would take over as our CM linchpin. 

To be fair they might be basing that on Alex McLeish's tenure.... 🙄.  

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Some Scottish clubs simply don't have a choice but to accept a few million when it comes there way. I doubt they really valued him at that. 

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Some Scots think Scot Mckenna was worth £10 million...heard of him? Thought not 😉

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Â