John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree the link is shite but I don't think NasWes would keel over at that opening bid imo. 

If you have little toerags like Pogba are expected to go for over £100m then it's fair to say SJM is worth somewhere inbetween the two without being unrealistic.

one for the games gone thread but Pogba's footballing ability compared to mcginns and then trying to come up with a transfer fee sadly doesn't work, Pogba has 36.7m followers on Instagram, McGinn has 90.7k

old meatball head just doesn't sell tractor engine parts in Russia 

Pogba's value to a football team like utd has little to do with his passing stats and work rate

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

And Man U just doesn’t seem the big pull these days.  

Come on mate, Man UTD are still a massive pull. Even accounting for recent form they would be in the top 3 PL clubs. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again.

I don't believe the link.

But if anyone thinks we'd be turning down £50m for John McGinn then they're kidding themselves, imo.

Agreed. £50m gets you close to world class as midfielders go, and as much as i love JM it would be an awful lot of money to turn down. 

Dear Villa

Please announce another player so we can stop talking about a spurious link for SJM to Manure written by one of the worst journalists in one of the worst papers. 

Thanks 

Every Villa Fan

• Like 1

Just now, av1 said:

Agreed. £50m gets you close to world class as midfielders go, and as much as i love JM it would be an awful lot of money to turn down. 

That is debatable but if we accept it to be true, how are Aston Villa going to replace him with a player of similar or preferably better (otherwise what's the point) player or players with a week to go in the transfer window? 

We are currently at the limit of a newly promoted side can do in signing players like Wesley, Trezeguet and Douglas. Yes, they cost £50m combined give or take, but unless there is a need for the money replacing him with player(s) of a higher quality at this stage feels like a gamble we simply don't need to take. 

I don't think they would accept the bid today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That is debatable but if we accept it to be true, how are Aston Villa going to replace him with a player of similar or preferably better (otherwise what's the point) player or players with a week to go in the transfer window? 

We are currently at the limit of a newly promoted side can do in signing players like Wesley, Trezeguet and Douglas. Yes, they cost £50m combined give or take, but unless there is a need for the money replacing him with player(s) of a higher quality at this stage feels like a gamble we simply don't need to take. 

I don't disagree with much of that bar the last sentence. 

Everyone has their price and i believe a £50m bid for JM would be impossible to turn down. 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Agree with a lot of this, but to be frank I don't think the club being unable to replace him before this season would matter.

It would be a risk, but I don't think the club would see having McGinn/not having McGinn being the defining factor in us staying up or being relegated. Turning down £50m for McGinn would also be a big risk, financially.

Plus when you add in that their could be pressure from the player to make the deal happen, I think the club would find it very difficult to say no.

Again I don't think there's anything in the link. Certainly not in the price tag. United might be interested, but I don't think they'll be offering 50m for him.
But IF they did, I think he'd be off.

Edited by Stevo985

This isn't happening - would take a silly amount of money. Easily £50m upwards - i'd actually be disappointed if it was less than £60m. If some of the players are being sold for what they are, then, that's the figure that seems realistic to me. 

It's all about how we value him in terms of what he brings to the team, Purslow has already said he is a model signing for Aston Villa. We'd need to be able to find that again, and be given the resources to do so in the time that that we have left to shop.  

I'm confident McGinn will be playing for Aston Villa next season. 

I don’t think the club would turn down a profit of 47m on a player that is yet to prove himself in the top flight. Especially after they’ve just spent 120 million. 

Edit: I also don’t think there’s a chance in hell a club will offer 50m for him at this stage.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree with a lot of this, but to be frank I don't think the club being unable to replace him before this season would matter.

It would be a risk, but I don't think the club would see having McGinn/not having McGinn being the defining factor in us staying up or being relegated. Turning down £50m for McGinn would also be a big risk, financially.

Plus when you add in that their could be pressure from the player to make the deal happen, I think the club would find it very difficult to say no.

Again I don't think there's anything in the link. Certainly not in the price tag. United might be interested, but I don't think they'll be offering 50m for him.
But IF they did, I think he'd be off.

How is it a big risk financially to turn an offer down? All of our spending has been made without assuming we will sell McGinn. I believe the club WILL see keeping McGinn as key to our success this year and it is absolutely not worth £50m to sell him because of the profit we make on him, especially as would be difficult to replace in such timescales.

Clearly if McGinn says he wants to go it may be a different matter but i'd like to think he'd want to give us his first year in the prem

Just now, fonz said:

How is it a big risk financially to turn an offer down?

Because he's had one good season in the championship and he's unproven in the top flight.

He might have a crap season and we'll never get anywhere near £50m for him again.

He might do his cruciate ligament in the first game and never be the same again.

It's a risk because you'd have £50m on the table and you'd be turning it down, not knowing if you'll ever have the offer again.

Do I think McGinn will have a crap season? No I don't
I certainly don't think (hope) he'll do his cruciate ligaments.

But if I was in charge of a football club under FFP pressure and had £50m on the table for a player we bought for £3m, would I turn it down?

Probably not.

We had an opportunity to sell Jack Grealish for quite a lot of money last summer and declined it. So they have shown they are willing to take financial risks. 

Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen, it's normally a good thing if it works out and a bad thing if it doesn't. I can't pretend to know their mindset here, but from a footballing perspective selling him now would be an awful idea and they have previous of putting on the pitch performance first. 

There's no way we'd accept a £50m for him, we don't need the money, and it would be very hard to replace him with that amount, what you'd essentially be doing is trying to replace a midfielder who's good enough to play for Manchester United, not only would that be hard enough to do with £50m, but would also be hard to do because such players aren't going to want to come to us at the moment no matter how much money we've got to pay for them. If someone offered us £50m for Grealish we'd be making a massive profit, but there's no way I'd be selling him either, players like him and McGInn can be the difference between relegation and survival next season.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We had an opportunity to sell Jack Grealish for quite a lot of money last summer and declined it. So they have shown they are willing to take financial risks. 

Far less of a risk, imo.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But if I was in charge of a football club under FFP pressure and had £50m on the table for a player we bought for £3m, would I turn it down?

Probably not.

I'm not sure it can be framed in such a binary way. 

If we had a settled squad then ok, it makes more sense. However given the massive upheaval in the summer he is even more crucial than perhaps he might be under normal circumstances. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Far less of a risk, imo.

How so? We may have been completely screwed by FFP had we not gone up this season and had he not actually increased his value. We had an opportunity last summer to balance the books to a degree and declined to take it, presumably with promotion in mind. There's nothing to say they wouldn't do the same here, swapping the word promotion for survival.

Which is slightly less risky IMO as in there's more chance of us surviving this season than there was of promotion last summer.  

This is not necessarily about what is the right thing to do but more about what I think they would do. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How so? We may have been completely screwed by FFP had we not gone up this season and had he not actually increased his value. We had an opportunity last summer to balance the books to a degree and declined to take it, presumably with promotion in mind. There's nothing to say they wouldn't do the same here, swapping the word promotion for survival.

Which is slightly less risky IMO as in there's more chance of us surviving this season than there was of promotion last summer.  

This is not necessarily about what is the right thing to do but more about what I think they would do. 

Well firstly the offer was half the amount we're talking now.

I think there was far more confidence in Grealish being worth far more if we didn't sell him. He's more proven than McGinn having already played in the prem and having more than one good season under his belt, he's higher rated, has more suitors, is English etc. 

I think he was seen as far more crucial to our last season than McGinn is to this. Grealish, in the championship, was the difference between going up and staying down.

Even if we didn't go up, Grealish plays well for another season in the championship and he's probably still going to go for more than the £25m Spurs were allegedly offering. We go up and he's suddenly worth double that.

By the way if any of this sounds like I'm being negative about McGinn, I'm not. I think he's a brilliant player, that he'll do well this season and he could possibly be worth more than £50m in the future.

BUT, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and thinking how the people running the club might act. And I highly doubt they'd be turning down £50m for McGinn (except as a negotiation tactic)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well firstly the offer was half the amount we're talking now.

I think there was far more confidence in Grealish being worth far more if we didn't sell him. He's more proven than McGinn having already played in the prem and having more than one good season under his belt, he's higher rated, has more suitors, is English etc. 

I think he was seen as far more crucial to our last season than McGinn is to this. Grealish, in the championship, was the difference between going up and staying down.

Even if we didn't go up, Grealish plays well for another season in the championship and he's probably still going to go for more than the £25m Spurs were allegedly offering. We go up and he's suddenly worth double that.

I agree with much of this, however you mentioned financial risk which is what I was responding to. What if Grealish hadn't played well? What if his injury had been worse than it turned out to be? Of course it all worked out in the end so we can feel confident in saying they won, but the facts were pretty clear I thought - had we not gotten promoted last season we were in big trouble, to the point £25m at this stage wouldn't have cut the mustard. 

We don't face anything like that risk right now, we're a Premier League club. Relegation would be very bad news obvs, but thanks to renewed parachute payments we'd have time to sort it out. So the sale of McGinn or any of our players, today, would be a strategic decision. The opportunity for reinvestment isn't *really* there yet so it would mainly serve to mitigate potential future risk rather than actual live risk. They're two very different scenarios.

I think strategically selling McGinn right now for £50m would be the wrong decision. I suspect they would agree, though of course I don't know this. 

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

By the way if any of this sounds like I'm being negative about McGinn, I'm not. I think he's a brilliant player, that he'll do well this season and he could possibly be worth more than £50m in the future.

BUT, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and thinking how the people running the club might act. And I highly doubt they'd be turning down £50m for McGinn (except as a negotiation tactic)

By the same token i don't think McGinn is a £50m player. I just struggle to see us signing anyone better for any price given our current standing.

• Like 1

Â