John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree with much of this, however you mentioned financial risk which is what I was responding to. What if Grealish hadn't played well? What if his injury had been worse than it turned out to be? Of course it all worked out in the end so we can feel confident in saying they won, but the facts were pretty clear I thought - had we not gotten promoted last season we were in big trouble, to the point £25m at this stage wouldn't have cut the mustard. 

Yep there was still risk. I just think the risk was less as I've outlined.

The only reason Man U are still a big draw are because they can pay you stupid money. The club is in decline, hopefully with teams even like Wolves and hopefully us they'll continue to be bumped from title challengers, to top 4 challengers, to now top 6, down to top 8 or worse. Good luck selling your boat exhaust parts in Saudi when your seasons best result is a 3-0 win at home to West Ham

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Come on mate, Man UTD are still a massive pull. Even accounting for recent form they would be in the top 3 PL clubs. 

But you missed out my reasoning why I thought that.  

They are a massive pull as you rightly suggest but not like the old days....there are more than 2 clubs that I would join before them including man city, lpool, Spurs and a couple more.  

Man U are going through change again, which is number what in recent years? since fergie left and their squad is weak, they aren’t in CL and their star player is likely to leave and doesn’t look like any star players are coming through the door.  

While it’s still a yes to join, I assume it’s not the wow or anywhere near it used to be.

man utd are on their way back to mediocrity.

any player going there will be a lamb to the slaughter and a scape goat while the fans still think  their god  awful home grown players are decent.

McGinn has to prove himself in the prem. he can drift out of games and be loose in possession.

I personally think he can step up but lets see ....he might do a mccormack and develop at 18 pints a night lager addiction.

Bit of an aside, does anyone know if there was any sort of sell on clause in the deal with Hibs? Because if not that is incredible! Granted he has become a better player since he joined but still.. I know 50m is an insane amount of money and with the sensible cap on, it would be something we should think long and hard about considering the outlay this window BUT I think he is integral to DS plans and system. In many ways' he is as important to the team as Grealish is, plus he seems totally bought into what we are doing here and for those reasons I wouldn't sell for even 50m. Its a real head vs heart one for me.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Because he's had one good season in the championship and he's unproven in the top flight.

He might have a crap season and we'll never get anywhere near £50m for him again.

He might do his cruciate ligament in the first game and never be the same again.

It's a risk because you'd have £50m on the table and you'd be turning it down, not knowing if you'll ever have the offer again.

Do I think McGinn will have a crap season? No I don't
I certainly don't think (hope) he'll do his cruciate ligaments.

But if I was in charge of a football club under FFP pressure and had £50m on the table for a player we bought for £3m, would I turn it down?

Probably not.

Fair points raised in your posts on this Stevo.

• Thanks 1

Don’t want him to go one bit, nor do I think we would sell him. However if the £50mill could get us Phillips, Benrahma, Butland/Benítez & Someone like mateta in With those funds plus whatever is remaining in the kitty I could see and appreciate their logic if they did accept it. Would have to include a first refusal clause though and a sell on fee. Just can’t see him wanting to go after one season though 

6 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

There are loads of really good players you could buy with £50m. You may even get really lucky and get a John McGinn...

“A boat’s a boat but a mystery box could be anything...

... it could even be a boat!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I doubt very much that we have put a £50m price on Super John, unless it was the intention of making it clear that, should be taken to read that he's not for sale at all. If someone did actually bid that amount, I would expect us to then tell them to double it, to get the point over that he's really not for sale. 

Manchester United wouldn't offer £50m in any case. They would offer say half of that, in the hope of unsettling our player. They perhaps don't realise that we are no longer a club that will sell it's best players, that they are no longer a club that attracts players in the way that they once did and that John is happy where he is! 

6 hours ago, Bomvilla7 said:

Bit of an aside, does anyone know if there was any sort of sell on clause in the deal with Hibs?

Apparently there is a clause.

However, McGinn would be mad to go to Manure. Solskjaer might well be gone by Christmas, he's a dead man walking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That is absolutely being unrealistic.

I'm not saying we would accept the first bid immediately.

But if a club like Man Utd was genuinely offering in the region of £50m for McGinn then he would be out the door. 

Not really, depends how much of a crucial player the Chiefs and Owners see Mcginn, especially if the Owners dont need the money coming in, and they are seeking success.

Selling a player that's been vital to our plans so far would derail us and they would or are smart enough to realise the trickery of a bid like that coming in at a time like this.

Others have said a bid like that would be crazy for a player that's had a fantastic season in the championship, they are right, yet you can see why a top six club would do it for a number of reasons. One main reason is they see Mcginn as one of our main players and would try a stupid bid because he is relentless at tracking the ball, fetching it and making things happen with it. Another reason is to throw a spanner in Aston Villas works, it would take stupid money to prise such a player we hold above priceless away from Owners who dont really need the money. Pinching such a player from us might make us abit richer for a while but it's not guarenteed we would be able to replace him in time  for season start. Guarenteed we could find better, but a player like Mcginn at this stage is crucial to our plans and finding such a player that quick and also praising him from there club would no doubt take time and effort.

Lets say we were to sell for let's say that 50 mill, then to replace and find in this current market and it's prices would no doubt now cost 25 mill and upwards, Really what would be the point if we sell and go out and end up spending that money we've just made. Imagine if we hadn't got Mcginn and we'd only just found him with the way prices have sky rocketed, no way would we be getting Mcginn for the actual price we bought him at, would no doubt be getting charged 15-20 mill from the club we got him from.

There are loads of reasons the top clubs would want John, not because they truly wanted him or they are fans like we are. It would be to keep our club down from ever reaching where they are and for that reason alone I would not sell to any of them for whatever the price, never Eva.

We are considering the pros (I can't see any myself) and cons of selling a player, when that's highly unlikely to happen and no bid has actually been made. We are in great danger of falling into the trap that has been set by the press and giving their fake news some substance. This is not the late 1990s, John is not Dwight Yorke and we don't have owners now that would take too kindly to an offer for one of our crown jewels. Let's focus now on what we will do in the coming season, with Super John playing a big part in it.😉

• Like 1

No one with their head screwed together would pay 50 mill for a player with 1 good season in Championship.

McGinn is going nowhere. We already got rich owners, we don't need to sell unless a player wants to leave.

16 hours ago, Enda said:

I would snap anyone's hand off if they offered us £50m for John McGinn.

go away gtfo GIF

I honestly think keeping McGinn can be the difference between surviving our initial season, or getting relegated again. It's one of the few British football grafters we got, and he has genuine quality. He also is well drilled in our tactics, has good relations with other key players like Grealish and El Ghazi. Selling him would be utterly foolish even if it was financially sound.

Fortunately we won't be selling him, so take that talk and listen to Mr. Gold. 

• Like 3

Â