John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Someone needs to do a compilation of his opponents getting smashed by him. He is getting stronger and stronger. Rice on the floor today, Alvarez last month,  Bassey held off ,  he is the toughest yet non dirty player i have seen in an age. I am now saying he is a legend. A true legend. 

• Like 1

Spotted an interesting little comment in his interview on VillaTV.

When asked if the dressing room was staying grounded during the recent success, McGinn’s reply was ‘I’ve got my eye on a few who could potentially get carried away’.

He’s turning into a proper captain, on and off the pitch, isn’t he?

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 16:35, Cizzler said:

Feels like a Jack replacement, so just underwhelmed and unexcited.

Sorry, just had to quote this :crylaugh:

Also I'd wager the greatest bit of business ever conducted by Potato Head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Watching him play makes me smile. Just fantastic and unconventional rolled into one. His ability to turn the opposite way of what the opponents expects him to is uncanny. Every time he sends the opponents the wrong way, every time.

Never thought he had it in him to develop into a player like this but he's taken to Emery-ball as well as anyone.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2023 at 05:39, Nickel said:

The secret is out....

Reveal hidden contents

"Dougray on Villa midfielder John McGinn: I think he will end up at Manchester City, Liverpool or Manchester United - or he will go to Real Madrid or Barcelona; he is that good."

Not sure whoever Dougray is he actually knows very much about "Sir Super John McGinniesta" to give him his full title.

Am pretty confident Dougray Scott, as a mental Hibby, will have been keeping a close watch on SJM at Villa.  One thing that’s not often mentioned is McGinn’s ambition.  He has won trophies with both the Buddies and the Hibees, and in an early interview at Villa Park he mentioned how much he wanted to be part of bringing success back to this club. I admit there was a while when it seemed to me that half the Villa fans had fallen out of love with him. He mentions in the post-Arsenal Sky interview how much closer are the defenders to the midfield now, and I had flashbacks to Gerard’s Villa where SJM ran about like a headless (Christmas) turkey, trying to fill the gaps between defence and midfield and between midfield and attack.  I wondered then whether he might do himself a favour by moving on.  Perhaps he won’t always be as influential as he has been recently in games, but you could never underestimate his loyalty and determination to win a trophy with Villa.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Sorry, just had to quote this :crylaugh:

Also I'd wager the greatest bit of business ever conducted by Potato Head.

I’ve actually got even more embarrassing comments re: McGinn in here that could have been unearthed! At least the one you quoted was before I’d seen him play…

End of the Smith regime / during Gerrard’s - I was giving him pelters. Didn’t think he was good enough.

Well, massive slice of humble pie for me to scoff. Been truly excellent since Emery has come in and long may it continue.

(and I’ll lay off the player threads going forwards)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sne said:

His ability to turn the opposite way of what the opponents expects him to is uncanny. Every time he sends the opponents the wrong way, every time.

Forget Cruyff, The McGuinn Turn is a real thing, and deserves to be more widely known. If we play CL next season, perhaps it will be. 

• Like 1

Â