John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 hours ago, allani said:

With Kamara back we can push both Doug and McGinn into their preferred roles - but I'd feel 100 x more confident now that if Kamara got injured again, Luiz and McGinn could drop back and perform well.  Plus of course we now have Tielemans on the bench and so it would be more likely that we could still keep McGinn higher up the pitch where he is much more effective (attacking and defending).

I think we can all agree that Kamara balanced the midfield. I always felt that McGinn's skill set would be more effective in a 4-man midfield than a 3, and that's essentially what we run.

Maybe McGinn could drop back into the double pivot in a pinch but it would be a waste. That's why we bought Tielemans, as you say.

McGinn has always played his best for us further up the pitch. In a spot, he could play the double pivot - especially now but harder to use that arse when he’s facing forward in the double pivot. 

• Like 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/unai-emery-makes-feelings-clear-27568023.amp

"His career is getting better and better and now I think he costs more than before! It’s good because John McGinn is always positive in the dressing room, always laughing, happy, demanding, always committed with his teammates, the club and the coaches.

"I am very happy with him and I think he deserves it because he’s playing always trying to do all his best, and today the same [Everton]. He was pushing minute 85 playing the same move in the first minute and the 90 minute. John is an example for his teammates and his supporters for how is defending everything."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/unai-emery-makes-amazing-john-27558967.amp

Emery said of his performance against Everton: "I am very happy for him because he scored, and he is not usually scoring a lot. He has to get to the box to create chances and to score.

"He did that perfectly for the first goal, and his performance today was very good, and is happy to play right side, left side, inside, playing as a midfielder, as a number 10 and I think he is very important for us. Like Leon Bailey last week, he didn't play well, but today he was amazing."

When asked about Emery's tactical planning in the post-match interview, McGinn said, "I don't know if you noticed but I spent most of the game standing still." Was he implying that he was instructed to do that??!

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

When asked about Emery's tactical planning in the post-match interview, McGinn said, "I don't know if you noticed but I spent most of the game standing still." Was he implying that he was instructed to do that??!

It's part of Emery's workplace safety plan. 

47 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Well yeah. If the opponent is moving about standing still will let you find pockets of space

• Like 1

The interview on BBC Scotland said it all. The lads think they can win this competition and they're not messing about. Bit of silverware and guaranteed Europa League. He said we're one of two or three favourites and we've got the biggest budget in the competition, we'll go tough places but essentially we can beat anyone and win this thing. 

Feel like without having scored or assisted he still essentially won us the game today. He - like the rest of the team - was having a quiet start to the second half but once he came to life just before the hour mark he ran the show and things suddenly felt a lot more comfortable. What a player he's become under Emery.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Feel like without having scored or assisted he still essentially won us the game today. He - like the rest of the team - was having a quiet start to the second half but once he came to life just before the hour mark he ran the show and things suddenly felt a lot more comfortable. What a player he's become under Emery.

He made the first and third goals. The first with a great ball over the top to Watkins and the third with that lovely pass to Digne despite being pulled back. On ridiculous form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

He made the first and third goals. The first with a great ball over the top to Watkins and the third with that lovely pass to Digne despite being pulled back. On ridiculous form.

Also played a superb pass to Ollie at another point. Passing was quality.

• Like 1

I’m glad he’s captain, he isn’t the most vocal but does his talking with his attitude, will to win etc. Not only he his good footballer he’s a top man of the pitch as well. Delighted to have people like him represent our great club!

• Like 3

Right now I’m not sure if I would trade him for any other midfielder in the league. Maybe a fully fit De Bruyne? Can’t think of anyone else.

He’s becoming the leader and the talisman we thought Grealish was going to be long term for us. In fact he might have already surpassed that given that it now seems we are operating at a higher level.

Â