John McGinn

PompeyVillan

As others have said, you can tell why he kept getting picked while out of form under Gerrard. He's a team first player with an excellent workrate who does what his manager tells him. 

So chuffed to see him playing so well, he's the heart and soul of the club. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Totally unique style. He's a pig looking for truffles, and there also happens to be a football nearby.

Watching players bounce off him when the laws of physics suggest they shouldn't is a joy.

this is gold 😆

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think I said repeatedly that I couldn't understand why he was being picked under Gerrard. 

But not because of his ability. Just the fact he was never in a million years a defensive midfielder/ full back. 

Had Gerrard used Luiz and Kamara in those roles (or Luiz and anyone else after Kamara got injured), McGinn could have taken one of the roles further forward and Gerrard's shit system might have worked.

He has always been an attacking midfielder. Play him in a defensive role once, in the middle of a run of good form, and he'll deliver because he's a grafter and a good footballer.  But play him there game after game and you'll suck the life out of him like Gerrard did.

Emery had a huge job to get him his confidence back, but he's done that, and is using him in the right role, in a formation that works. Its not rocket science, but it 100% wouldn't have been easy.  Yet another player that we nearly lost 10's of millions in value from thanks to Gerrard,  and its great to have him back, and playing at his best. 

Except emery has been playing him as a defensive midfielder or RM. And he's been way better because he's in a structured role and not doing stupid shit like standing next to Watkins all game or  sprinting 40 yards to press a player who is never going to lose it and then getting exhausted and not getting exhausted. 

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Totally unique style. He's a pig looking for truffles, and there also happens to be a football nearby.

Watching players bounce off him when the laws of physics suggest they shouldn't is a joy.

Lol. Superb.

Ive been in the Ollie Watkins thred and felt really happy with backing a player i think has always been a good player just being played wrong under a useless manager, when others there are still pretty stubern in admitting they're wrong.

Well here's where i am a diffrent animal. I have written off McGinn multiple times. I thought to progress into a top half team, he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11. Always had a part of the squad but not starting 11 and not a guarenteed starter.

I couldn't be more wrong...and i love it.

3 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Must have cut out the kebabs as he's looking very trim.

If I remember, John was a chips man - a harder habit to break. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

Really happy he is playing better as has been said much better in an attacking role but he has the fight to defend well.

Still as good as the goal was he made a couple of bad passes against Chelsea and one in particular could have resulted in a goal for them, still needs to cut that out.

Again in football under an elite manager like Emery it is possible to gain an extra percentage in performance from current players. Villa are seeing that now and it is wonderful, long may it continue.

Our last 4 managers have all said that he is a gem to have in a team. Emery said thar he is so so competitive. Thats one of those traits that is harder to judge than simply pass percentages . In this form he is undroppable.  But next season we are hopefully going to have equally good options . If we can force an on form McGinn onto the subs bench then we will have one hell of a team 

Over the last 5 games his pass completion is averaging 86%, which is in the typical range for the top midfielders.

Historically over the previous 18 months its been clearly below 80%, and made him one of the worst regular starting midfielders in the league in that stat.

Definitely helps having a manager who can actually work with him on retaining the ball, instead of one who had him smashing it forward at every opportunity looking for moments of magic.

It also means he's not knackering himself out trying to win the ball back after losing it as much

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Our last 4 managers have all said that he is a gem to have in a team. Emery said thar he is so so competitive. Thats one of those traits that is harder to judge than simply pass percentages . In this form he is undroppable.  But next season we are hopefully going to have equally good options . If we can force an on form McGinn onto the subs bench then we will have one hell of a team 

There's no reason he'll not be captain and still first name on the team sheet. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

There's no reason he'll not be captain and still first name on the team sheet. 

First name on the team sheet? Sweet jesus. If that's not Emi we have a Robin Olsen sized problem.

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

First name on the team sheet? Sweet jesus. If that's not Emi we have a Robin Olsen sized problem.

Yeah, first names will be Martinez, Kamara and Douglas.

• Like 1

Garth Crooks somehow manages to make himself look more stupid each week. I love SJM and his form post-Gerrard, but this is brain injury level nonsense.

"He hadn't scored a goal for Aston Villa since November 2021. Another one of those wretched football statistic that doesn't tell the whole story of a player's contribution to the team. McGinn has arguably been Villa's most consistent performer for the last two seasons. "

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65170383

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â