John McGinn

PompeyVillan

In my naivety I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t know what the position / role is exactly he’s been asked to fulfill. He’s certainly not in the game as much but McGinn used to kind of aimlessly run everywhere in midfield at times so maybe a more defined role suits him. School me people. Is he providing cover on that side and let Bailey concentrate on my offensive matters ? Not been a smartass, genuinely want insight. 

Looks lean at the moment whereas he was a Claret and Blue barrel running around previously.

Hats of the coaching staff as they seem to have them all sorted physically.

Lovely pass but equally sublime touch and finish from Dougie

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

In my naivety I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t know what the position / role is exactly he’s been asked to fulfill. He’s certainly not in the game as much but McGinn used to kind of aimlessly run everywhere in midfield at times so maybe a more defined role suits him. School me people. Is he providing cover on that side and let Bailey concentrate on my offensive matters ? Not been a smartass, genuinely want insight. 

Pretty much this.  He’s playing on the right of midfield but wasnt expected to get forward as much which left us exposed when we lost the ball in the past. He provided cover for Young very well.

You could argue yesterdays performance was quite defensive as we had a back line of 6 at times but I’d prefer to say it was pragmatic and the way you need to approach better teams away from home.

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’ve been a critic, but we missed him yesterday. 

Said that to my lad at HT. 

Sort of game we needed his tenacity, because for his lack of quality 'on the ball' at times, he does get stuck in, which to a man in that 1st half, we didn't do at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I’ve been a critic, but we missed him yesterday. 

I said that yesterday on the way out.  No way we have a first half like that with John McGinn in the side.

He's improved massively under Emery and looking his old self again.  He would have been all over those Wolves players last night if he was out there.

Matty Cash must never ever play midfield again unless were winning and looking to protect a lead, even then I'm not sure.

• Like 1

He protects the ball better than both Buendia and Bailey and he offers us a bit of physicality in there as well. He shouldn't play central midfield for us again anytime soon, but I'd have him in the starting XI in either an advanced or wide position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â