John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Credit where it's due.

He's been so much better recently.

Not sure if that's down to Unai or his new gangster haircut. lol

I think he got a kick up the arse getting dropped. He looks like lost some weight as well and hope this continues. Him and Buendia are fighting for the last jersey when Ramsey gets fit

What a pass though, not a fluke as should have had an assist vs Liverpool

• Like 1

Happy for him that he's found a role where he can show his strengths. We all know he has some big limitations, but I think over the last couple of seasons we've forgotten that he also has plenty of good attributes... he was just being asked to do things that don't come naturally to him.

He's a direct player who wants to be facing forward, and needs a bit of space so he can look up and use his left peg. The role he's playing in Emery's system gives him that, and we all know he'll put in a shift defensively and battle for the ball in the press.

• Like 1

thought he and Buendia were pretty anonymous in the first half. Turns out it was all a part of Emery-ball and had a great 2nd half. Giving him a role that suits him is so much better for him than making him a Gerrard-clone which he is not. Will be interesting to see what happens when Ramsey comes back

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've never really understood some of the abuse that's come his way. Every manager we have had since his arrival has played him. I've never heard a fellow professional criticize his game. I think that speaks for itself. 

I just don’t think he’s a central midfielder at this level. He plays almost as a second striker for Scotland and seems to be playing better for us in a wider position. 

It’s not rocket science though. His attributes lend themselves to having a bit more space and facing the opposition goal rather than receiving the ball in tight spaces facing your own defence.

I still think we need to improve on him but he’s a real asset as a squad player and hell, who’s to say he can’t make that right midfield spot his own!

• Like 2

'Mcginners' getting a bit carried away as usual. 

I mean come on law of averages dictates some of Hollywood balls have to come of eventually. 

He needs to contribute and be consistent at it before we can talk of him turning the corner. 

2 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean come on law of averages dictates some of Hollywood balls have to come of eventually. 

He needs to contribute and be consistent at it before we can talk of him turning the corner. 

I’m someone who has criticised McGinn often and it’s because of his love of hitting aimlessly hopeless Hollywood balls but he has cut these out under Emery and has been better off the ball too.

There’s still the odd ‘wtf was that‘ moments in games from him but overall much improved. So credit where it’s due. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've never really understood some of the abuse that's come his way. Every manager we have had since his arrival has played him. I've never heard a fellow professional criticize his game. I think that speaks for itself. 

Not sure it's been abuse. He has been poor for a long time. Was brilliant in the Championship but hasn't been consistently good in the Premier League since he got injured in our first season back. Gerrard making him captain seemed to aggrevate it.

Nice to see Emery using him in a role that suits him better. I don't think he's good enough in tight situations to play in the middle of the park for a progressive team but he is well capable in the final third. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

No one is getting carried away. Your comment suggests he's never been consistent. He was consistently good throughout most of Smith's reign and Gerrard picked him every game, rightly or wrongly, he picked him, and now Emery is doing the same. With respect, I think their judgement slightly outweighs yours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Happy for him that he's found a role where he can show his strengths. We all know he has some big limitations, but I think over the last couple of seasons we've forgotten that he also has plenty of good attributes... he was just being asked to do things that don't come naturally to him.

He's a direct player who wants to be facing forward, and needs a bit of space so he can look up and use his left peg. The role he's playing in Emery's system gives him that, and we all know he'll put in a shift defensively and battle for the ball in the press.

One thing for sure, no matter how he's playing he never shirks his responsibilities. He's a player's player.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Not sure about that, most of the people praising him have also criticised him in the past. It's just good to see he's not the completely busted flush he was starting to look under Gerrard. There's still a useful player there.

And I don't remember too many "Hollywood balls" today. Just good progressive passing when he had time to pick one, and a lovely assist.

His feet aren't quick enough to handle the responsibilities of ticking over possession in front of our box, but he's a decent player when he gets the ball in the right areas.

• Like 1

He played well and it waw a great ball for the Luiz goal. We need a strong squad and he's part of that. When Ramsey is fit he will have to fight for his place. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just don’t think he’s a central midfielder at this level. He plays almost as a second striker for Scotland and seems to be playing better for us in a wider position. 

It’s not rocket science though. His attributes lend themselves to having a bit more space and facing the opposition goal rather than receiving the ball in tight spaces facing your own defence.

I still think we need to improve on him but he’s a real asset as a squad player and hell, who’s to say he can’t make that right midfield spot his own!

I think I share this view but from a slightly different perspective… do I think John McGinn is a top six PL player? Probably not. Do I think even what he is delivering now is astonishing for a player signed for £2m by a bottom-half Championship team? Absolutely I do. And as you say, that makes him a real asset in itself as a squad player, whatever else. Let’s hope he can keep pushing on but what he’s achieved is amazing when every other first-team player from the first half of that season has fallen by the wayside one way or another as we have climbed the league (…or had a £100m transfer I suppose…)

Had a really strong game today , on numerous occasions he’s shown he’s not just good in the Scotland support attack role but also very good defensively without the ball covering advanced fullbacks , does a lot of the crap dogging jobs that some don’t notice 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He’s been quite shit for a while to be fair. 

But every player has to be given the benefit of the doubt really. They were playing under an absolute moron for a year. It’s no wonder they looked crap

• Like 2

Â