John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Glad he put in a good performance today, for his sake as much as ours.

Perhaps another player who will benefit immensely from playing in a position that they're actually suited to? But we'll have to see how it goes, as he's been terrible for a long time prior to this.

Delighted for him.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I thought his days with us were numbered when Emery got the job.

He'll play a big role if he keeps playing like that.

Perhaps a lesson to us all to not write off any of the current squad until they've had a chance to work with and play for a top manager after a year of playing for a clueless one (Coutinho immediately springs to mind).

• Like 1

He’s a Premier league quality player, no doubt about that. What he isn’t is the focal point and guaranteed started for a team with aspirations of Europe. Gerrard put a ridiculous amount of pressure on him and it clearly affected his game. It’s ironic he took the captaincy of Mings so he could focus on his game but gave it to McGinn and it badly effected his.

• Like 1

McGinn certainly was much improved against Brighton.

It just shows how better managers can set teams up in terms of strategy and formations.

Let's be honest this thread has two seasons worth of opinions from many about his lack of quality and perhaps he can improve and find consistency under Unai Emery's management. One thing is for sure though is that he is under pressure now with competition for the midfield places.

I like McGinn and contrary to what some think I do not have any dislike for him; I just merely want the best for Villa.

If used right, he'll come good - he's been genuinely sublime for Scotland against the likes of Ukraine and Denmark, who are as good as anyone in the bottom half of the Premier League.

That said, he certainly has a bit of a belly on him these days, more so than anyone should have playing at that level.

Edited by SJM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SJM said:

If used right, he'll come good - he's been genuinely sublime for Scotland against the likes of Ukraine and Denmark, who are as good as anyone in the bottom half of the Premier League.

That said, he certainly has a bit of a belly on him these days, more so than anyone should have playing at that level.

Sublime? Really?

Geninely over the moon for the guy.

Do I think he is good enough to take us to where we need to go? Not at all.

But his performance against Brighton convinced me he can be a proper squad man with the right coaching.

I think a best case scenario would be exactly that. Used all over the pitch and rediscovers the graft and getting stuck in. He looked so devoid of confidence towards the end of the Gerrard reign that he even lost his arse powers.

So gaining us some valuable points through whatever means necessary and hopefully one more screamer for good ole times before moving on.

Unai I think has identified the obvious that he doesn't have the composure or passing in the middle of the park but for games where you need to graft away, he can do somewhat of a job as an outside mid.

Â