John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Hard for Gerrard to drop a player who he’s obviously been impressed with and sees as a leader and great character but I think we’ve seen he’s not performing. 

Needs to sit for a bit and fight for his place. 

No joke the first half hour of that game was Digne getting a doing , McGinn over committing or not tracking and Digne giving him double barrells with not a word back.

I have not seen one minute of leadership since he took the armband. Not through word. Not through actions. Not through performance 

We were up against it today and fair play to all the lads out there but make no mistake we won despite McGInn today.

Not able to track wide players. Not able to retain the ball and absolute petrified on it. Whip it into the channel. Whip it into the channel. 

'I have time and space?'

Whip it into the channel first time.

I know we are against City. I know it's tough but **** me this guy is not a captain.

• Like 1

He simply has to go to the bench now.

Manager can't show any sentiment to his favourite player in the squad. I think the fact he's now regularly getting subbed and it's happening earlier is pointing to him being left out v Leicester.

Dendoncker also being available next week makes it easier decision aswell as we obviously need to give new signing some minutes and would be easier to give him a start away from home.

Edited by VillaChris

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Gerrard said he chose Mcginn as captain as he thought it would improve his performances. Its had the opposite effect. He seems to be getting worse by the week. 

Am I mistaken in thinking Gerrard also said in preseason that McGinn holding onto the armband was no guarantee either?

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Martinez showed more leadership in his 30 mins as captain.

McGinn doesn't need the pressure of the captaincy on his shoulders, especially as it's going to be quite embarrassing to be subbed or dropped.

We should've just made Martinez captain in August.

Would've instantly curtailed half of the needless issues created in first month of the season.

• Like 3

The one sour note today was McGinn's performance. Just completely absent from the game, in an otherwise very impressive performance from the team.

Time for him to spend some time on the bench and try and find form. There's a good player there, but he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. Luiz and Kamara should be first names on the team sheet.

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

He’d probably benefit from being our super sub for a bit. 15 minutes to go and bring him on to be a nuisance.

Sadly starting John right now is becoming a hindrance. 

This would be perfect for him. Let him come on and be a wrecking ball for them late in the game.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

Â