Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You do realise he has been the keeper over this undefeated run of games right?

5 out of 5 shots went in against forest, he is not the reason why we drew that game.

Boro only had 1 shot in the entire game, he did well there, but looked real shaky on a number of crosses.

Game against Birmingham, what the heck is he doing here 1:23 into the video? 

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You do realise he has been the keeper over this undefeated run of games right?

Yes. I don’t particularly feel he has made much of a contribution, I do feel had he played/been better the points total would have been even better.

• Like 2

Is Nyland the keeper we need him to be right now as it is and for the remainder of the season, regardless of how much potential he may have, is he a credible option for first choice?

I would say yes to that if he can rid of those errors that have cost us points on the board. I have seen him make enough quality saves, his distribution is excellent and contributes to our attacks (he had 98% successful distribution against Derby), he is beginning to come off his line at the right times now. There really is some good play in him.

But is he ready for the role of being a promotion winning sides first choice goalkeeper? I'm not sold just yet.

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

5 out of 5 shots went in against forest, he is not the reason why we drew that game.

Boro only had 1 shot in the entire game, he did well there, but looked real shaky on a number of crosses.

In fairness instead of looking at Nyland at 1:23 looking at the Birmingham player holding onto him. Seen more clearly in the first replay of the goal. 

I am not a particular fan of Nyland but that goal shouldn't have stood and he has made worse gafs than in that clip. Personally Nyland wasn't at fault for that goal. 

• Like 1

Some people just have a bad habit of harping on keepers no matter what they do, they fail to see the complexity of our defensive positioning on how that leads to our conceded goals. A goalkeeper is easy to blame when you've got centre backs pushing up like midfielders and wing backs behaving like wingers.

Gollini was in > BOO

Johnstone was in > BOO

Nyland is in > BOO

New keeper in, makes one or two bad saves > BOO

All the while the so called best keepers in England have had some right old howlers over the last few weeks. Funny that. It's not exactly easy to be a keeper under SB when your defense is all over the place. After DS came in our keeper and our team is on an unbeaten run of 8 games.

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't get me wrong I know he has cost us points and made games more difficult for us.

We're stuck with him till January at least.

Until then we have to encourage him.

Let's be fair, Johnstone was shite for a period when he first joined also.

I know age factor will be brought up but I think the settle in period and defense has a part to play.

17 hours ago, Junxs said:

I think people have already made their mind up and seeing what they want to see, I thought he came out and collected crosses quite well in recent games.

I've been scathing of him in the past and don't recant it because he has played like a schoolboy at times. However, I agree with you on his improvement on that aspect, especially against 'Boro. I thought he did well against them.

17 hours ago, Junxs said:

As for distribution, I can't think of a Villa keeper in recent memory with better

And yes, that is the one aspect of his play that has impressed me from day one, the one fairly big, glittering nugget. He gets us restarted very quickly and rarely gets it wrong, which is a sharp weapon in our armoury. He brings a different dimension and dynamic to the team.

:lol: It's a bit like when I saw David James come in and throw a ball out to near the half-way line. I turned to my mate and said, "Jesus Christ, this bloke can chuck a ball overarm further than Bosnich can kick one." I'm not saying James was a better keeper in the box, but he was better getting the ball out and into play, IMO.

So, if they can get him to channel an inner Schmeichel we're on a winner. He can stop shots, he can distribute dangerously through throwing, he can punt off either foot and get good yardage up field when necessary. The only problem is he isn't aggressive and commanding enough. Can that be coached or drawn out of him? Don't know. For my part at least, the jury is still examining the evidence as he's been granted a retrial following what I consider me being a bit hasty with my previous unsafe conviction of him. :lol:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't get me wrong I know he has cost us points and made games more difficult for us.

We're stuck with him till January at least.

Until then we have to encourage him.

Let's be fair, Johnstone was shite for a period when he first joined also.

I don't disagree with that and i never agree with abuse.

But i don't abuse him i have only said that i don't feel he is good enough, and i still stand by that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Junxs said:

just out of interest, how do you explain/react to Nyland having better stats than Johnstone this season?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dean Smith vs Steve Bruce.

Simples

Umm... is this simple?

Surely if Johnstone was better last season (under Bruce), and this season Nyland has better stats than Johnstone (Mostly under Bruce).

Then if you're putting it down to Smith vs Bruce... doesn't that make Bruce better? 🤔

18 hours ago, Junxs said:

I think people have already made their mind up and seeing what they want to see, I thought he came out and collected crosses quite well in recent games. There was one which he had to punch and didnt get the distance he would have liked but he had to come through a crowd of players so couldnt get the momentum needed for the distance. Thats the only "flap" I can think of that he apparently is always making.

He certainly hasnt repeated any of the mistakes from the Bruce era now under the Smith era in the 8 games so far. Personally I think he's been just fine under Smith. 

As for distribution, I can't think of a Villa keeper in recent memory with better

I din't see the Boro game, but he was awful at coming and collecting crosses vs Birmingham and Forest. The Blues game especially.
I agree he wasn't flapping, he just wasn't coming at all. He doesn't dominate his area whatsoever.

He has his good games, but his bad games are very bad indeed. The Forest performance was pathetic. I said it at the time, but we'd have won that game every day of the week with a better keeper in goal.

I think we'd have probably won that game with me in goal.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Umm... is this simple?

Surely if Johnstone was better last season (under Bruce), and this season Nyland has better stats than Johnstone (Mostly under Bruce).

Then if you're putting it down to Smith vs Bruce... doesn't that make Bruce better? 🤔

I'm saying that the Dean Smith factor. Look how well he has us playing in a attacking sense. Johnstone was under ll this negative hoofball shit where we under immense pressure most weeks under that negative football. If Johnstone was in this team I think we would not have conceded as much as nyland hasnt had the same onslaught of pressure in games that Johnstone did.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm saying that the Dean Smith factor. Look how well he has us playing in a attacking sense. Johnstone was under ll this negative hoofball shit where we under immense pressure most weeks under that negative football. If Johnstone was in this team I think we would not have conceded as much as nyland hasnt had the same onslaught of pressure in games that Johnstone did.

I don't think this makes any sense :D

But fair enough.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Which brings me back to me my original question:

just out of interest, how do you explain/react to Nyland having better stats than Johnstone this season?

I dont think you realised, but I was talking about this season, not last. He's playing for WBA who are above us in the league - but Nylands stats are better than his in clean sheets and saves made per game.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Which brings me back to me my original question:

I dont think you realised, but I was talking about this season, not last. He's playing for WBA who are above us in the league - but Nylands stats are better than his in clean sheets and saves made per game.

I thought you was referring  to Johnstones time at villa not wba. I don't follow wba so I would have no idea how they setup. I couldn't even tell you who their defence was, but it was apparent with Johnstone he needed a leader in the heart of his central defence hence the improvement last year.

At villa Johnstone was more commanding and impressive at villa than nyland has been. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

At villa Johnstone was more commanding and impressive at villa than nyland has been.

And being commanding and aggressive during set pieces is so important for keepers in this league, or England in general.

Nyland is just too passive to play here i feel, something like Spain or Holland would suit him better, where it's less physical.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I kind of see where you are coming from. Although we were defensive under Bruce we did give away a lot of possession and let teams try and break us down.  So whilst we had a lot of pressure against us we didn’t really let the team create too many clear cut chances. 

Actually ive just read your post again and you’ve lost me there mate...

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought you was referring  to Johnstones time at villa not wba. I don't follow wba so I would have no idea how they setup. I couldn't even tell you who their defence was, but it was apparent with Johnstone he needed a leader in the heart of his central defence hence the improvement last year.

At Villa Johnstone had by far the best centre back in the league in front of him. Nyland has small Chester and young Tuanzebe. How do you explain Nyland's better stats in that regard? Some people see what they want to see. If our CB's aren't talking with their keeper it's hard to collect the ball. Terry was a master at this - Chester isn't.

By that logic Nyland is better than Johnstone, which for some reason has become the new golden boy on here even though the same people were harping on about him the whole season last year. Grass is greener and all that.

Â