Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

We were saying the same about Johnstone for half a season if not a whole. Give him some more time. Looks to me like he's improving. But if there's an option to replace him with Heaton in January I'm all for it. 

• Like 3

Just now, vreitti said:

He might improve, but don't think he'll even reach the level of Johnstone. Should be replaced asap if possible.

West Brom fans would be happy to swap at the moment, they don’t rate SJ at all. It’s a funny one and shows how everybody needs time to bed in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skruff said:

We were saying the same about Johnstone for half a season if not a whole. Give him some more time. Looks to me like he's improving. But if there's an option to replace him with Heaton in January I'm all for it. 

I only recall Johnstone having a shakey first quarter of the season but after that he was pretty solid.

I think Nyland is showing wee glimpses of improvement but I would still look at a replacement once a better one is available.

2 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

West Brom fans would be happy to swap at the moment, they don’t rate SJ at all. It’s a funny one and shows how everybody needs time to bed in. 

Yeah tbh I wouldn't really want him back either. Let's hope he has another mare on Friday. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Not good enough when you're 28 years of age.

It's an often used example, but Petrov was below average for a season when we first signed him.  He was 27 at the time.

Obviously, we need to be seeing more from Nyland.  He's made some stunning saves but has been absolute toilet too.

For me, I'd replace him.  That said, I think with any player there needs to be some allowance for a change of surroundings, particularly a change of country.

• Like 1

Needs to be replaced. I'm still too scared of him coming for crosses, and even stopping shots on goal. Heaton for example would be the solid base we need.

But I will say that he's absolutely excellent with his feet. Really comfortable and no issues with short or long passing off either foot.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Needs to be replaced. I'm still too scared of him coming for crosses, and even stopping shots on goal. Heaton for example would be the solid base we need.

But I will say that he's absolutely excellent with his feet. Really comfortable and no issues with short or long passing off either foot.

Yh, his kicking / passing is quality to be fair 

Although he has improved (which isn't really hard considering how low the bar was) he is still a long way off being a competent, solid keeper. I don't hold out much hope for him, being 28 year old and still not know when to come for crosses and when to stay back. Its bread and butter for any capable gk and he can't seem to manage it. 

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's an often used example, but Petrov was below average for a season when we first signed him.  He was 27 at the time.

Obviously, we need to be seeing more from Nyland.  He's made some stunning saves but has been absolute toilet too.

For me, I'd replace him.  That said, I think with any player there needs to be some allowance for a change of surroundings, particularly a change of country.

Hmm, yes and no.

On Petrov, yes he did take a season to find his feet but he also had to adapt to a new position at Villa compared to his role at Celtic where he played in a far more box to box role. That takes time and game time.

I agree players should be given time to find form when they move, especially when they move country but I don't think those things are factors in his inability to command his six yard box let alone his area.

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The Petrov comparison is a good one.I recall him being called "The Crab". Used as an insult because he only ever moved sideways.

For sure we should take a look in January but for the next few weeks we need to support Nyland . We have zero choice anyway.

Never a huge fan. He was best of bad bunch after likes of Barry and Milner moved on. It seemed 50/50 split on a few forums with people thought he was good/ great or average and needed dropping/ replacing but everyone dropped any negative comments after his illness and now there seems to be some weird revisionism that he was a club superstar

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Hmm, yes and no.

On Petrov, yes he did take a season to find his feet but he also had to adapt to a new position at Villa compared to his role at Celtic where he played in a far more box to box role. That takes time and game time.

I agree players should be given time to find form when they move, especially when they move country but I don't think those things are factors in his inability to command his six yard box let alone his area.

I think we're agreeing.

I don't see Nyland reaching levels far above where he's at now.  For one thing, I don't think he's going to get the opportunity after January 1st.

I was trying (badly) to make the point that whilst Nyland may be a lost cause, we shouldn't allow age to determine whether someone has reached their ceiling and we should also consider other mitigating factors.

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Never a huge fan. He was best of bad bunch after likes of Barry and Milner moved on. It seemed 50/50 split on a few forums with people thought he was good/ great or average and needed dropping/ replacing but everyone dropped any negative comments after his illness and now there seems to be some weird revisionism that he was a club superstar

Agree. I am proud of Villa fans for the way they have supported him through his illness but like you I didnt think he was particularly good for us as a player. 

21 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Tbf,  he kept going top class with a bunch of bang average players. Think people have watched shite for so long they have forgotten what a good midfielder looks like. 

Â