Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

Nyland has one good game in 3. Thats dreadful for a keeper. As smith said he would expect his keeper to be a  good shot stopper you need more than that to be a good keeper in England.

He is crap, worse than gollini was. Has to be replaced.come janaury.

I can imagine the outrage on here if he costed us another 3 points on friday with people on this forum expecting automaic promotion.

There is no chance you're getting anywhere near automatic promotion with this guy, not a chance.

• Confused 1

I think people are being to harsh on Nyland. Nyland is very good in areas where other keepers just arnt, especially rolling out the ball fast to our players for a counter attack, he's very sharp in that end and it's what Smith wants. 

I was watching the villa view podcast just and one thing that was mentioned and it mite make sense is that Nyland has a better record in away games than home. It could be the Holte end that's causing his nerves, the abuse that comes out of there towards our players at times is unreal. I mean chester has suffered some proper abuse from the Holte enders this season.

I think Smith knows what he's getting from Nyland, he's happy with his productivity, Smith has even come out and stated he's getting better and I myself think we've yet to see his best form.

I think we will be ok with Nyland personally in the end, we just have to give him time and patience and he could be wuite the keeper down the line, a season or two isnt enough.

On 04/12/2018 at 02:52, Kiwivillan said:

Never a huge fan. He was best of bad bunch after likes of Barry and Milner moved on. It seemed 50/50 split on a few forums with people thought he was good/ great or average and needed dropping/ replacing but everyone dropped any negative comments after his illness and now there seems to be some weird revisionism that he was a club superstar

I was never a big fan but he had a good season under McLeish before his illness and then his replacement was Ashley bloody Westwood 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I can imagine the outrage on here if he costed us another 3 points on friday with people on this forum expecting automaic promotion.

There is no chance you're getting anywhere near automatic promotion with this guy, not a chance.

There’s only 5 games until January, then we can get a better keeper :) 

20 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

There’s only 5 games until January, then we can get a better keeper :) 

Thing is Dean Smith want his keepers to play out from the back so we can't go for the traditional physical hoofball keeper

No matter how you twist and turn this he's got 4 clean sheets out of 8. That's on par with the best keepers in this division. In the same space of time Johnstone has 0 clean sheets out of 8. 

In case people don't remember Johnstone had a horrid first half year with us even with Terry in front of him, and now he's got a horrid first half year with West Brom. He ain't all that he's cracked up to be, and comparatively Nyland has better numbers with a much weaker defense in front of him. In fact Johnstone only has 2 odd clean sheets this season.

The man leading the stats for clean sheets, Randolph, is behind 11 centre backs playing hoofball, but once we put some pressure on him he flopped all over the place too.

Edited by magnkarl

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Nyland has one good game in 3. Thats dreadful for a keeper. As smith said he would expect his keeper to be a  good shot stopper you need more than that to be a good keeper in England.

Second this. I'm always nervous when the opposition have a corner because of him.

He cannot command an area on set pieces and that's fatal in this league.

• Like 1

I think people have already made their mind up and seeing what they want to see, I thought he came out and collected crosses quite well in recent games. There was one which he had to punch and didnt get the distance he would have liked but he had to come through a crowd of players so couldnt get the momentum needed for the distance. Thats the only "flap" I can think of that he apparently is always making.

He certainly hasnt repeated any of the mistakes from the Bruce era now under the Smith era in the 8 games so far. Personally I think he's been just fine under Smith. 

As for distribution, I can't think of a Villa keeper in recent memory with better

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought Gollini was quite good, was disappointed when we replaced him with a keeper who couldnt save anything

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

No matter how you twist and turn this he's got 4 clean sheets out of 8. That's on par with the best keepers in this division. In the same space of time Johnstone has 0 clean sheets out of 8. 

In case people don't remember Johnstone had a horrid first half year with us even with Terry in front of him, and now he's got a horrid first half year with West Brom. He ain't all that he's cracked up to be, and comparatively Nyland has better numbers with a much weaker defense in front of him. In fact Johnstone only has 2 odd clean sheets this season.

The man leading the stats for clean sheets, Randolph, is behind 11 centre backs playing hoofball, but once we put some pressure on him he flopped all over the place too.

and randolph let in an absolute howler from the boot of Whelan.

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Which is why he will get at the very least 6 more games as first team keeper. Maximum 10 games. If he gets any more than that It would be the most surprising decision by the club since letting the transfer window close with only 2 recognised centre halves. 

13 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I thought Gollini was quite good, was disappointed when we replaced him with a keeper who couldnt save anything

Johnstone was better than gollini. But nyland is worse than both by a country mile.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Johnstone was better than gollini. But nyland is worse than both by a country mile.

just out of interest, how do you explain/react to Nyland having better stats than Johnstone this season?

Our goalie young Bailey and Nyland seem quite similar to me imo.

Not the worst shot stoppers but heart attacks in waiting if a cross comes in.

Think Dean Smiths style could help Nyland a lot similar to Bielsa's at Leeds.

We have the 2nd best defence in the league and have only conceded 9 from open play.

BPF faces the least shots per game in the league, 9.9 i think it is now, next best was Brentford on 11. Something.

Dont think thats coincidental.

If you play on the front foot then aslong as your good at it that protects a goalie. 

If the opposition arent getting shooting chances then they cant score (obviously).

You like us are dominating possession, trying to win the ball back high up the pitch and force the opponent back.

So even the most nervous of goalies is protected to an extent by the attacking style.

Its not perfect but its certainly helped BPF who has i think 8 clean sheets in 19 games. 

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You do realise he has been the keeper over this undefeated run of games right?

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

Our goalie young Bailey and Nyland seem quite similar to me imo.

Not the worst shot stoppers but heart attacks in waiting if a cross comes in.

Think Dean Smiths style could help Nyland a lot similar to Bielsa's at Leeds.

We have the 2nd best defence in the league and have only conceded 9 from open play.

BPF faces the least shots per game in the league, 9.9 i think it is now, next best was Brentford on 11. Something.

Dont think thats coincidental.

If you play on the front foot then aslong as your good at it that protects a goalie. 

If the opposition arent getting shooting chances then they cant score (obviously).

You like us are dominating possession, trying to win the ball back high up the pitch and force the opponent back.

So even the most nervous of goalies is protected to an extent by the attacking style.

Its not perfect but its certainly helped BPF who has i think 8 clean sheets in 19 games. 

This is right but on the odd chances he gets tested you need to him to be there for the team. Sometimes the best keepers are the ones that do nothing all game but then make a good save when called upon. Against forest we needed him to save just one of them shots. Against Norwich we needed him to punch that ball he came for. Against Birmingham he just needed to stay on his feet. 

He has made some good saves at times snd can be a good shop stopper but as Smith once said himself after the Bolton game. All keepers should be good shot stopper, that’s their job. 

He is not the worst keeper in the world. He is just not good enough for a team with aspirations of promotion. 

Â