Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

one of my many character flaws is that I look to see the best possible explanation for other people's conduct.  For me, the first two goals were not his fault.  the ball was literally passed into the net by second runs straight through the midfield.  the opposition runner was unmarked.  the least excusable was the last when he was beaten from a sharp angle at his near post.   But i wonder if the earlier two had him second guessing and overplaying the possibility of a pass to an unmarked midfielder in center of goal (in other words, just assuming it was a possibility)  which left him too central to stop the near post ball.

I know, it's a bit of mind reading and generously considered, but he hasn't been as awful before, so I'm trying to figure out the psychology or the positioning of WHY he would be that bad.  he had actually appeared to get quite a bit better recently, since the new GK coach arrived.

• Like 1

Nyland was bad, but our back 4 was even worse. Two passes and our defense looses their shape, fight and any resemblance of a professional football team. Chester gave the ball away for their 3rd and the other goals just reek bad defensive structure. We need a new keeper and someone to rotate at CB when Chester\Tuanzebe are struggling like they are now. It doesn't take a scientist to see.

• Like 1

I was so angry about the 5th goal but having watched it back he's kind of unlucky there, he was set and moved slightly to his right as the ball was struck (which would have put the ball straight into him) and its then taken that tiny knick off Tuanzebe and snuck around him on the inside. Its actually really unlucky! The 4th he really should be saving and no chance on the others. 

Don't rate him and we need someone with more presence but he wasnt quite as bad as most are saying here, he was bad of course, but if the defence were doing there jobs at all he probably would have got a clean sheet! 

49 minutes ago, weedman said:

I was so angry about the 5th goal but having watched it back he's kind of unlucky there, he was set and moved slightly to his right as the ball was struck (which would have put the ball straight into him) and its then taken that tiny knick off Tuanzebe and snuck around him on the inside. Its actually really unlucky! The 4th he really should be saving and no chance on the others. 

Don't rate him and we need someone with more presence but he wasnt quite as bad as most are saying here, he was bad of course, but if the defence were doing there jobs at all he probably would have got a clean sheet! 

I see where you are coming from but he was called upon just 5 times in the game.  He just needed to save one or two of them shots and we have 3 points. 

Smith wants us to play a very attacking game so back four and keeper will get exposed at times.  He won’t get the protection of a Steve Bruce style everyone behind the ball team like Johnson was afforded last year. 

We need a top keeper more than ever. 

I’m going to say this. 

He will put in a match winning performance on Sat including a fantastic save and for the most part dominating from the hundreds of crosses Boro will throw into the box.

I think this because the world seems to have gone mad and I don’t understand it. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I’m going to say this. 

He will put in a match winning performance on Sat including a fantastic save and for the most part dominating from the hundreds of crosses Boro will through into the box.

I think this because the world seems to have gone mad and I don’t understand it. 

I’d be amazed if he starts tomorrow 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from but he was called upon just 5 times in the game.  He just needed to save one or two of them shots and we have 3 points. 

Smith wants us to play a very attacking game so back four and keeper will get exposed at times.  He won’t get the protection of a Steve Bruce style everyone behind the ball team like Johnson was afforded last year. 

We need a top keeper more than ever. 

I agree, but I think it's more a case of "the way we play we need a top keeper" rather than "Nyland is a terrible keeper" 

I don't actually think he's that bad but like you said he's not good enough if we're going to play a system that will leave us more open at the back.

If he was 21 I'd be quite happy with him because he does a fair amount right and you'd expect him to iron out his mistakes over time but he's 28/9 isn't he? Can't see him getting much better than he is right now unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, weedman said:

I agree, but I think it's more a case of "the way we play we need a top keeper" rather than "Nyland is a terrible keeper" 

I don't actually think he's that bad but like you said he's not good enough if we're going to play a system that will leave us more open at the back.

If he was 21 I'd be quite happy with him because he does a fair amount right and you'd expect him to iron out his mistakes over time but he's 28/9 isn't he? Can't see him getting much better than he is right now unfortunately 

I think you’re being too kind mate. He is out way out his league! If he opts to remain in England he’s standard is probably league one. 

He wont cut it in this league with any team. 

Theres a good reason he has spent the majority of his career in Norway. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

He will put in a match winning performance on Sat including a fantastic save and for the most part dominating from the hundreds of crosses Boro will throw into the box.

And the next week he will bottle it again, that's why we need a new keeper. Nyland is not reliable

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I’d be amazed if he starts tomorrow 

Really ? - Smith has come out and publicly back Nyland - Reckons only 1 goal was his fault. Don't think he would endorse the keeper then drop him. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really ? - Smith has come out and publicly back Nyland - Reckons only 1 goal was his fault. Don't think he would endorse the keeper then drop him. 

Right now I don't think he has any choice other than to try and give Nyland some confidence. I would be amazed if we don't bring in a keeper to replace him in January (and end Moreira's loan)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dukes said:

Right now I don't think he has any choice other than to try and give Nyland some confidence. I would be amazed if we don't bring in a keeper to replace him in January (and end Moreira's loan)

Smith has hinted at Steer returning. I would disagree with DS in that I don't see any improvement in Nyland at all.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Publicly maybe he won’t hang him out to dry but privately I’d be very surprised if he was ok with that goalkeeping display .

Didnt Bruce back him earlier this season and then drop him next game ? It might be best for nyland to be taken out of the firing line especially given the way boro play 

Edited by Eastie

Â