Time for a takeover

Jareth

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well hopefully some papers are saying xia has accepted he has to give up controlling stake now and sell his shares or the club's going in adminstration 

If this is true then the guy if an idiot, what has changed from 3 weeks ago? What did he expect to happen within that timeframe? 

Just now, PieFacE said:

If this is true then the guy if an idiot, what has changed from 3 weeks ago? What did he expect to happen within that timeframe? 

I honestly don't think we're talking about a rational human being here. I genuinely think he's away in cloud cuckoo land, completely out of touch with reality. I almost feel sorry for him really.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Exactly. 

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I honestly don't think we're talking about a rational human being here. I genuinely think he's away in cloud cuckoo land, completely out of touch with reality. I almost feel sorry for him really.

I agree. What a farce the longer this goes on the more it ruins us more as we approach the season. 

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

If you were a smart club owner you would wait until the last week of the transfer window before placing bids for Villa players as thats when the club will be in a state of panic and prices will be slashed.

I can see us having a decent team against Hull... but then by the Wigan game we will be down to bare bones.

He needs to sell the club, accept whatever offer is on the table and cut his losses. There's no coming back from the state of what he has done to the club, and even with investment for a % of the club from someone the fans will never trust him again.

We need someone to come in with, and I hate to say it, a Doug Ellis mentality. We can only spend what we have, we need to put a plan in place with football people at the top and begin to sign young players for less money rather than the current scattergun approach of signing ageing 'experience' on long, high paid deals. The current approach hasn't worked for the last 10 years and so continuing in this way will see the end of this club.

Surely that depends on how badly the club wants the player. Wait until the end of the window to save a few million and risk losing out on the player? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

If you were a smart club owner you would wait until the last week of the transfer window before placing bids for Villa players as thats when the club will be in a state of panic and prices will be slashed.

I can see us having a decent team against Hull... but then by the Wigan game we will be down to bare bones.

He needs to sell the club, accept whatever offer is on the table and cut his losses. There's no coming back from the state of what he has done to the club, and even with investment for a % of the club from someone the fans will never trust him again.

We need someone to come in with, and I hate to say it, a Doug Ellis mentality. We can only spend what we have, we need to put a plan in place with football people at the top and begin to sign young players for less money rather than the current scattergun approach of signing ageing 'experience' on long, high paid deals. The current approach hasn't worked for the last 10 years and so continuing in this way will see the end of this club.

Does anyone else coming in right now have any bearing on our FFP status?  My understanding would be no?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Maybe this is connected to takeover talk?

In English ...... “The experience at the World Cup was huge for Thierry Henry. The former striker of the France team has also entrusted his wish to stop its collaboration with Sky Sports which brought him 12 million euros to better focus on the job coach.

According to the Daily Mail, "Titi" has already received three offers, one from Aston Villa which will evolve in the Premiership (English D2). It remains to be seen whether this would be compatible with his role in the Belgian selection”, 

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surely that depends on how badly the club wants the player. Wait until the end of the window to save a few million and risk losing out on the player? 

normally i would say that folks would want the player sooner than later...not just risk of losing out, also so that they can use him in friendlies, integrate him with the team, and condition him the way they want ready for the start of the season. but this isnt a normal scenario and i unfortunately think that deadline day is going to be quite a busy one for us, for all the wrong reasons

So Xia sells us.. to who? First come, first serve? 

There isn't going to be a happy ending to this, we are going to be stuck in this div, selling our better players and going back to "Young and hungry" (meaning decent league 1 players) for a few years.  

This is only the tip of a very, very, shitty iceberg lettuce, which has been left out in Dudley Town Centre during this summers heat wave, and used as a bog rolls to the locals. Can you just picture and imagine how shitty that is? 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So Xia sells us.. to who? First come, first serve? 

There isn't going to be a happy ending to this, we are going to be stuck in this div, selling our better players and going back to "Young and hungry" (meaning decent league 1 players) for a few years.

I honestly don't mind that.  As long as the club isn't going to financial ruin, then I'm absolutely fine with being competitive in the Championship and going for "young and hungry" players.

I couldn't care less if a billionaire comes in or not or if Xia stays or not as long as we're run properly.  It baffles me that so many (assumed) non-entrepreneurial members of VT would probably run the club better than wealthy businessmen!

Listened to a podcast recently with Steve Stride, seems a very knowledgeable bloke who clearly loves Villa. Was treated like shit by RL and the “general” apparently, as they thought he was just a “secretary” rather than secretary of a Football club. 

If any take over comes in and they don’t have a football background, I think having him in an advisor role, a couple of days a month wouldn’t be a bad thing. He would be able to show how things should be done

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Listened to a podcast recently with Steve Stride, seems a very knowledgeable bloke who clearly loves Villa. Was treated like shit by RL and the “general” apparently, as they thought he was just a “secretary” rather than secretary of a Football club. 

If any take over comes in and they don’t have a football background, I think having him in an advisor role, a couple of days a month wouldn’t be a bad thing. He would be able to show how things should be done

While he'd probably be better than nobody at all to do the job, I don't see what he did that was so good in his time at the club either. It's just moving backwards to an era that also didn't work. Has he done much in football since? (cursory google/wikipedia would suggest no).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

As long as he doesn't keep on with his obsession with dressing the players in flipping stripes.  I am just about coping without blue sleeves!

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

While he'd probably be better than nobody at all to do the job, I don't see what he did that was so good in his time at the club either. It's just moving backwards to an era that also didn't work. Has he done much in football since? (cursory google/wikipedia would suggest no).

Club secretary during our greatest ever period, helped float the club on the stock market, established us in the premier league. Now works for FIFA as a delegate. 

Whilst it may not be perfect, it would be a huge step up from having people who know nothing about football. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Does anyone else coming in right now have any bearing on our FFP status?  My understanding would be no?

In a word no, Remember though we aren't technically in breach of FFP until March 19 so have some wriggle room. The current problem is Xia can't pay the bills. Any new owner can submit a plan to the EFL showing how they plan to decrease debt and be afforded a little leniency. So we could hold firm on sales, knowing that worst case we sell in January. Lots of things clever people can do. Xia isn't one of them. Let's hope he chooses the right option this week (a full buyout) 

• Like 3

Â