Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

vegetarianism, i really find bizarre. so they don't eat meat, but they have no problem with other animal products, dairy, etc

The other stuff - it doesn't involve killing the aminal. That's quite a big chunk of reasoning to explain why it's not bizarre, aside from stuff like " I don't really enjoy it" or eco reasons or health reasons and so on.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess you have to think, if I was an animal, would I rather have my tits squeezed or be shot in the head with a bolt gun?

Tricky one.

Eeeeeh kinda. Some would argue it’s more like continuous rape to ensure the animal is pregnant so they can squeeze their tits until they no longer can produce milk and then shot in the head with a bolt gun.

Devils advocate here.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

Eeeeeh kinda. Some would argue it’s more like continuous rape until to ensure the animal is pregnant so they can squeeze their tits until they no longer can produce milk and then shot in the head with a bolt gun.

Devils advocate here.

Valid point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

2 related points, IMO.

I remember Paul McCartney saying "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarians". Obviously not quite true, but I feel similarly to eggs/dairy. I think a big reason (but certainly not the only one) people are vegetarian but not vegan is that people have been sheltered from the horrors associated with the dairy industry, and it's no surprise that the number of vegans has started to rise as there have been documentaries around what goes on in these places.

Great post! Thank you. The horrific conditions of dairy cows and battery hens are why I became vegan 17 years ago and why I've stuck to it strictly since then. It's a massive, very important part of my life.

Environmentalism has taken centre stage in the reasons behind going vegan in recent years but for me it was purely animal welfare as I didn't even understand the ecological side back in 2005.

7 minutes ago, robby b said:

Great post! Thank you. The horrific conditions of dairy cows and battery hens are why I became vegan 17 years ago and why I've stuck to it strictly since then. It's a massive, very important part of my life.

Environmentalism has taken centre stage in the reasons behind going vegan in recent years but for me it was purely animal welfare as I didn't even understand the ecological side back in 2005.

I went veggie in the 80’s for a few years, about 5 I guess, then went back to omnivore in 91. I’ve never been a big meat eater and went back veggie in 2013. Since lockdown a couple of years ago I sort of drifted back again and have occasional meat. I’ve always scoffed fish, though. Stopped with cow juice and found that oat&hemp milk is preferable. Cheese I love and I go with organic stuff. Same with the occasional egg.

I didn’t really do any of it out of any zealously held views, more a kind of pragmatism really, mixing a kind of “if I wouldn’t personally kill it, then I’m not gonna eat it” thing with accepting humans are omnivores and my creaking knees really hurt a lot more if I go total plant based diet.

so a lightweight really.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I went veggie in the 80’s for a few years, about 5 I guess, then went back to omnivore in 91. I’ve never been a big meat eater and went back veggie in 2013. Since lockdown a couple of years ago I sort of drifted back again and have occasional meat. I’ve always scoffed fish, though. Stopped with cow juice and found that oat&hemp milk is preferable. Cheese I love and I go with organic stuff. Same with the occasional egg.

I didn’t really do any of it out of any zealously held views, more a kind of pragmatism really, mixing a kind of “if I wouldn’t personally kill it, then I’m not gonna eat it” thing with accepting humans are omnivores and my creaking knees really hurt a lot more if I go total plant based diet.

so a lightweight really.

When I stopped eating dairy products I did miss cheese quite a lot sometimes at first. And then I tried fake cheese the 1st time between 2010 and 2012, I think it was a brand called Cheezly, and I'll admit I thought it was horrible and weird, it had a pungent, artificial taste which I guess came from artificial flavourings. I remember feeling really disappointed after the excitement of suddenly discovering there was such a thing as vegan 'cheese'.

But in the last few years I've tried a few which I didn't mind or even quite liked, such as Violife's fake cheddar. (I think they're putting too much salt in their slices though). I imagine dairy free 'cheeses' have gradually improved through experimentation and lots of tasting by the manufacturers' tasters. I wonder if Cheezly have improved theirs, I should give them a second chance!

Well I have found several vegan pizzas with nice cheese alternative actually: the Pizza Express one, White Rabbit and Sainsburys Margarita (well done Sainsburys!) I didn't like the Tescos one: too much coconut milk and too gooey for my liking.

• 3 months later...

Out of sight out of mind, eh.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jun/08/watchdog-bans-vegan-friendly-uk-tv-ad-violence-towards-animals

The advertising watchdog has banned a TV ad for Vegan Friendly UK after receiving complaints about graphic violence towards animals.

The ad, shown in March, was intended to highlight potential hypocrisy among meat-eaters who said they cared about animal welfare.

It showed two women and one man eating around a table juxtaposed with clips of a fish head still gasping for air, a live piglet alongside a pig with its eyes closed and a cow’s face that appeared to have tears coming from its eye. A further clip showed a cow’s skinned head with its eyes and teeth still present lying on its side.

As those at the table continued to eat, a caption said: “No animal was harmed, consumed, or purchased to make this advert,” followed by the text: “Make the connection.”

While the ad was given a restriction preventing it from being shown close to programmes likely to be watched by children under 16, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received 63 complaints, including that the ad contained gratuitous violence towards animals, which caused unnecessary distress to viewers.

Vegan Friendly UK, which certifies restaurants and products as vegan-friendly, said the imagery was no different to displays seen in butchers’ or fishmongers’ windows on the average high street, and that the clips “would not feel out of place in a cooking programme or a nature documentary”.

The organisation said the ad was intended to highlight “an individual’s potential hypocrisy, and the contradictions between what people said and their actions”, to encourage meat-eaters who were against animal cruelty to reconsider eating meat.

It said the ad did not vilify meat-eaters but “promoted love and compassion for all beings and discouraged discrimination against other sentient beings”.

However, the ASA determined that several clips “were likely to cause distress to both younger and adult audiences”, while the way the ad was shot, in a “quick succession of clips” combined with “the juxtaposition between the adults eating and the animal imagery, would heighten the distress felt by viewers”. The ASA noted that visiting a butcher or watching cookery shows was “an active choice which came with different expectations to those of TV ads”.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I’ve just watched the advert, it makes a very good point. But like you say it’s a point that people choose to ignore because it makes them uncomfortable and they’re not willing to change. Pisses me off that these sort of adverts are banned though, it was the same with the Orangutan palm oil advert from Iceland a few years back. The truth being hard to swallow shouldn’t mean it’s hidden from view. 

• 7 months later...
On 06/01/2022 at 12:03, hogso said:

On a side note, I can't believe they still don't do Gluten Free burgers basically anywhere at fast food places in the UK - yes I know you could just have no bun, but the almost complete exclusion of a GF bun basically anywhere is weird, especially when countries on the continent do them, and better than that, the buns are produced by Schar for Mc's.

My daughter is Coeliac and it's a proper pain in terms of fast food if want to get something while out. We don't have fast food that often but there are very few options. Usually only McDonalds without a bun and as you say is frustrating that they don't do a bun in the UK yet they do in a lot of other countries.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My daughter is Coeliac and it's a proper pain in terms of fast food if want to get something while out. We don't have fast food that often but there are very few options. Usually only McDonalds without a bun and as you say is frustrating that they don't do a bun in the UK yet they do in a lot of other countries.

We've just had a Tim Horton's open near us and while good, they don't even have the option to remove the bun from their burgers, let alone a GF bun. 

My girlfriend takes her own bun now, if we ever happen to eat in at a fast food place, although that is exceptionally rare. You lose the sauce and / or cheese cemented to the original bun that way of course though... 

14 hours ago, hogso said:

We've just had a Tim Horton's open near us and while good, they don't even have the option to remove the bun from their burgers, let alone a GF bun. 

My girlfriend takes her own bun now, if we ever happen to eat in at a fast food place, although that is exceptionally rare. You lose the sauce and / or cheese cemented to the original bun that way of course though... 

On the subject of gluten free. I don't suppose you are aware of what in and around Villa Park is like? Taking my daughter to her first game on Friday, with time in mind until the other day I planned on just getting something once parked or in the ground until I remembered it won't be as easy as that. It will possibly just chips and even they're not a definite. Might have to just take something for her to eat in the car. 

17 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My friend who's coeliac loves being able to get the GF menu in McDonalds in Italy. I'm not one for eating fast food in a foreign country with all of the other culinary delights available, but it's not like she can eat pasta.

My son and his girlfriend are vegan. He used to be the biggest meat-eater I've ever known, but after they met (7-8 years now) he followed her. They are ultra strict. Won't even eat honey.

As an aside, they are having a sprog this week, possibly Thursday, making me a grandfather :o. That's all fine and dandy but...

They don't want to get married, ever, for some reason. I haven't asked, not my business. So...they have decided to change BOTH their surnames so all three of them can have the same name.

My son was a bit worried to tell me, but what can you do? It's their life, and if they both want to end a family line's name it's their choice.

Can't say I'm happy about it but not my business. The aggro they will go through to change the names will be huge I expect, probably easier to get married.

And of course being vegan they have chosen a proper hippie-type name to be known by, when I told my other son (who does not plan to have kids) he guessed the name in two attempts :crylaugh:

families, who'd have 'em?

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

My son and his girlfriend are vegan. He used to be the biggest meat-eater I've ever known, but after they met (7-8 years now) he followed her. They are ultra strict. Won't even eat honey.

As an aside, they are having a sprog this week, possibly Thursday, making me a grandfather :o. That's all fine and dandy but...

They don't want to get married, ever, for some reason. I haven't asked, not my business. So...they have decided to change BOTH their surnames so all three of them can have the same name.

My son was a bit worried to tell me, but what can you do? It's their life, and if they both want to end a family line's name it's their choice.

Can't say I'm happy about it but not my business. The aggro they will go through to change the names will be huge I expect, probably easier to get married.

And of course being vegan they have chosen a proper hippie-type name to be known by, when I told my other son (who does not plan to have kids) he guessed the name in two attempts :crylaugh:

families, who'd have 'em?

Changing both their names is a bit weird, not heard of that before. 

Not sure why it’s in this thread though 😀

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Changing both their names is a bit weird, not heard of that before. 

Not sure why it’s in this thread though 😀

Didn't know where else to put it 😜

• Like 1

Â