Championship is a good league to be in

AVTuco

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I think I'm over the loss now. Things are looking more up. Actually I think Championship is a good league to be in. Even for a great club like ours. It's better to be the biggest team in Championship than a relegation favorite in Premier League.

I'm looking forward to next season again. We are the biggest team in the summer transfer market with lots of action to be expected, both in and out. We may have a new manager, or not, we'll see. We'll win more than we'll lose. Quality of football is not so important to me, as long as it's Villa on the field. We'll be chasing promotion again. We have the best fans and the greatest stadium in the country. Foreign fans get to watch AVTV again.

Yeah, Championship is ok by me again, at least for another year.

The big assumption is that we will still be billy big bollocks in the championship. With Grealish likley to be sold and the proceeds not going towards replacements - a bunch of forwards who continually fire blanks - who knows what the future holds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

We have the opportunity to beat Baggies AND Small Heath next season. 

But will we beat them that’s the question, we will be losing Snodgrass, Grabban, Terry, Onomah, Johnston for sure and possibly more of our better players, this was the season we had to go up SHA had all their manager Mary go round so we played them at good timings these last two seasons, they seem to have found a good manager now and will be tougher to pin down as for the baggies they will have the parachute payments and have a better squad than us already, we are screwed. 

Sorry, but the thread title is utter nonsense.  You are stretching to find someway to feel better.  The championship is utter devastation for Villa.  Lower quality players, lower quality opposition, lower quality facilities, lower quality of play. Everything is lesser and lower. 

ZERO opportunity to build a fanbase anywhere but Birmingham means lower resources and growth for the club.  

I find it hard to believe that anyone can seriously consider this good.  You can placate yourself with rationalizations to make it less poisonous, 

but the economic loss to the club is crippling.  170 million this year and ditto a similar number for every year we stay down.  

Im just going to avoid this thread, the entire premise is a delusion.  

• Like 2

it is embarrassing that we are in this division, but I know where you're coming from, I enjoy having the expectation of winning in every match we play and love celebrating a win...  we wouldn't get that much in the PL but id still rather be there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nah, I don't agree with this. I want to watch football, not balance sheets. Last year, we won more than we did for years and years. I went to nearly every home game, with the belief that we might win it. If we'd gone up, I wouldn't have gone much next season. 

People watch football for different reasons. I understand yours, but they aren't the same as mine. 

So, a LOCAL fan that can go to every match is not terribly inconvenienced (in the short term) by this long term economic bomb in the functional and operational foundation of the club.... hardly disproves my points.  

How many new supporters will we develop around the globe while we are in this second rate league?   

Oh, but go ahead enjoy your day out (I’m serious, not sarcastic) enjoy those days and I hope you see a LOT of wins.  But don’t pretend that it’s not a huge loss to the club or to supporters too distant to travel to every match..... Unless you can make up the 170 million we just lost.  If you can, please contact tony about sponsoring a kit or anything else you fancy. ( and you can send me a few as well.).   ;) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So, a LOCAL fan that can go to every match is not terribly inconvenienced (in the short term) by this long term economic bomb in the functional and operational foundation of the club.... hardly disproves my points.  

How many new supporters will we develop around the globe while we are in this second rate league?   

Oh, but go ahead enjoy your day out (I’m serious, not sarcastic) enjoy those days and I hope you see a LOT of wins.  But don’t pretend that it’s not a huge loss to the club or to supporters too distant to travel to every match..... Unless you can make up the 170 million we just lost.  If you can, please contact tony about sponsoring a kit or anything else you fancy. ( and you can send me a few as well.).   ;) 

I understand your annoyance, and having lived for many years outside the UK myself I know how annoying it can be when you want to watch a match and you can't, because you can't get to the ground and there's no streams or whatever. But ultimately, 'building an overseas support base' and 'getting PL millions' are merely useful tools for getting to the desired end-state, which is seeing the football team I support win. They're the means, not the goal. 

And to be honest, the financial stuff is exhausting and endless. You worry about the millions lost out on this year, and you'll be worrying about the millions at risk next year, and if we'd gone up, and we'd finished in or near the relegation zone (which we clearly would have done) you'd have spent all year worrying about the money at risk then too. Arsenal fans worry about the money they are missing out on by not being in the top 4. It's endless. My enjoyment comes from football, not stressing about balance sheets. 

• Like 4

I enjoy the championship, the reason, it’s competitive. Which, for me, is what makes football exciting. Whilst I see the attraction of the premier league it is little more than a West End musical with a few teams playing the lead roles and everyone else nothing more than a chorus girl. 

I don’t really believe all the talk (hype?) about how the quality of the PL is so much better than the championship is either. If you were to cut the top 6 of the pl loose and replace them with the top 6 of the championship who wins that league next season? Over half, if not all, would think they’ve at least got a chance.

• Like 2

Did any of us really think that before Saturday's result? If so, I wasn't one of them. I have experienced years out of the top flight in the late 60s/early 70s with Villa and enjoyed the ride back to Division 1 but there were times when promotion had looked a long way off and I longed to be back among the big hitters. Every season that we spend outside the top flight now increases the risk that we will become another Forest.

• Like 1

To clarify my view, I don’t want us to be in the Championship.

Sadly, it’s better for us to finish 17th in the premier league, than 4th in the championship. But here we find ourselves.

However, if people want to take a moment to look on the bright side, deluded or otherwise, I’m not going to begrudge anyone from doing so.

Â