18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

You saw the limitations of the squad yesterday. Its old and lacks any sort of pace to get the ball forward quicker. We also need to build a younger more energetic side.

Bruce knows how to setup a solid and tough team to break down. It's just the offensive side.

One thing we have lacked this year that has hampered us so much is the lack of genuine pace.  We need 2 full backs and a right winger that terrify defenders.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me how we can be better next season if Bruce stays? He won't be able to, or willing to, change himself, is he? He is what he is.

Now that finances will be tighter, we need new thinking and a fresh start of a sorts. I must say things look bleak. Mediocrity awaits again. God this is depressing.

• Like 1

Funny enough Bruce did better when he had a smaller budget. If and it’s a big if somehow JT agrees to stay id definitely keep Bruce.

im thinking to keep him because if you think about it we have lost four league games at home in championship that’s impressive. We don’t concede much either. 

Its the offensive play that’s the problem.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Can someone tell me how we can be better next season if Bruce stays? He won't be able to, or willing to, change himself, is he? He is what he is.

Now that finances will be tighter, we need new thinking and a fresh start of a sorts. I must say things look bleak. Mediocrity awaits again. God this is depressing.

Kodj and Jack (hopefully) for the whole season. Stability and a sense of consistency.

I’m fairly Bruce-neutral, and I wouldn’t be averse to change, but I think there’s much to be said about keeping Bruce for one more year.

That said, I think the decision should be dictated by the state of the squad after people leave and we get our budget. 

If we can, materially, keep the same squad I’d be comfortable with backing Bruce again.

All ifs and buts of course, but if we had beat Bolton / QPR and had a semi-decent start, we would have finished second easily.

• Like 2

Just read through this thread and my conclusion is it’s too early to have such a discussion. Nobody is really talking about 2018/9, just reflecting hurt and disappointment at failing to get across the line in 2017/8. There are plenty if other threads for that.

We heed to see what Xia and the board are going to do about the club’s finances, management and squad before it’s possible to have a sensible conversation about next season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sne said:

On loan players:

Snodgrasss, Johnstone, Grabban, Onomah, Tuanzebe all gone. That's 3 starters.

Out of contract:

Terry, Hutton, Samba, Gabby, Bunn, 2 more starters.

Players likely looking to leave/ interesting to other clubs:

Lansbury, Thor,  De Laet, Gollini, Gil, McCormack, Lyden, Elphick, Hogan & Hogan?, Chester, Grealish, Hourihane. Worst case scenario another 3 gone.

Players too expensive to keep. (at least all of them)

Whelan, Jedinak, Terry,  McCormack, Hutton? Richards, 

Unless Xia comes up with a scheme to get around FFP and get some more money into the club it could turn into a very big rebuild that needs to be done on the cheap.

Massive challenge next season

I think we will be seeing the U-23's with a few loans here and there. I doubt there will be much of Saturdays squad left at the start of next season at all, we are in huge financial trouble

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

I think we will be seeing the U-23's with a few loans here and there. I doubt there will be much of Saturdays squad left at the start of next season at all, we are in huge financial trouble

Yup, me too.

One of the key reasons why I wan't a new manager.

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don’t think we are in huge financial trouble - we will cut costs but wyness said plans had been made for another season in this division if needed and we would remain a very competitive side .

The likes of snoddy and terrys wages along with gabbys will help cut costs but we may need to sell one or two players ,  hopefully not Grealish or Chester though . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I agreed with you until your last 3 depressing sentences. Do you think that the Preston or Brentford fans that finished 7th and 9th, each winning 13 games, think they’ve had a season of depressing mediocrity? I don’t.

It’s an exciting league where youngsters and nobodies can make a name for themselves, if part of a team that has a plan.

We need a manager that can add a few savvy buys, while also bedding in some of our promising youngsters!

Hepburn-Murphy, Green, Davis, Doyle-Hayes & O’Hare can all play a part next year. Then there are other youngsters that, supposedly, are highly rated - Bedeau, Suliman, Bree. Then we have players on the fringes that would be seen as a good signing for most of the league: Steer, Taylor, Lansbury etc. 

We have a big enough squad to be able to cut some costs and make a few additions, and still have one of the top 6/7 squads in the league.

I have to say, I’ve never fully understood the desire that some people have to bring in Dean Smith. But flipping heck, why not! (Maybe I should read up on him first..)

• Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

I don’t think we are in huge financial trouble - we will cut costs but wyness said plans had been made for another season in this division if needed and we would remain a very competitive side .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/25/aston-villa-facing-financial-disaster-fail-make-premier-league/

Aston Villa will head into the “life-changing” £170m shoot-out with Fulham facing the prospect of a financial nightmare if they fail in their promotion mission.

Villa’s cash worries will be removed with victory at Wembley tomorrow, but defeat will see them under pressure to avoid breaking Financial Fair Play rules and being hit with a possible transfer embargo.

With the stakes so high, it is arguably Villa’s biggest game since the 1982 European Cup Final. Steve Bruce, the manager, is acutely aware of the doomsday scenario. Captain John Terry would be expected to leave, while deals to permanently sign loan players Robert Snodgrass, Sam Johnstone and Lewis Grabban will be scrapped.

The futures of stars including Jack Grealish, James Chester and Jonathan Kodjia will inevitably be plunged into doubt and it is understood that Villa may even have to consider selling their Recon Training Complex, if they fall short in the Championship play-off final.

Mile Jedinak, the Australian international, has admitted the game is crucial to the club’s future.

“We haven’t spoken about it but everybody knows. Nobody is kidding themselves, people are aware of it, they know the situation. We are doing the right thing and making sure that doesn’t happen,” he said. “The game on Saturday is life-changing. You all know what Premier League football comes with and the reward of that.

“It is a crossroads moment. It can go one of two ways: that’s what you’re dealing with. Some don’t take the time to think about it and that’s up to them. I can’t speak for everybody but that motivates me. I use that on the field to make sure I’m doing everything I possibly can. Is this game pivotal to Villa’s future? Oh yes, that goes without saying.”

Tomorrow’s game is widely agreed to be the most valuable in world football and years of cost-cutting will be over for Villa if they emerge as winners.

Bruce only spent £2.5million last summer, while raising £18million from player sales to ease a mammoth wage bill. He admits next season’s team will be “totally different”, if Fulham win.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I agreed with you until your last 3 depressing sentences. Do you think that the Preston or Brentford fans that finished 7th and 9th, each winning 13 games, think they’ve had a season of depressing mediocrity? I don’t.

It’s an exciting league where youngsters and nobodies can make a name for themselves, if part of a team that has a plan.

We need a manager that can add a few savvy buys, while also bedding in some of our promising youngsters!

Hepburn-Murphy, Green, Davis, Doyle-Hayes & O’Hare can all play a part next year. Then there are other youngsters that, supposedly, are highly rated - Bedeau, Suliman, Bree. Then we have players on the fringes that would be seen as a good signing for most of the league: Steer, Taylor, Lansbury etc. 

We have a big enough squad to be able to cut some costs and make a few additions, and still have one of the top 6/7 squads in the league.

I have to say, I’ve never fully understood the desire that some people have to bring in Dean Smith. But flipping heck, why not! (Maybe I should read up on him first..)

Smith seems to have created a decent team despite cutbacks and they play attractive football too - may be worth a crack - we’ve seen Huddersfield and Cardiff both win promotion the season after just avoiding relegation - there is no reason why we shouldn’t have a real chance next season - we do however need to hit the ground running - no more shit starts as you are always playing catch up 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/25/aston-villa-facing-financial-disaster-fail-make-premier-league/

Aston Villa will head into the “life-changing” £170m shoot-out with Fulham facing the prospect of a financial nightmare if they fail in their promotion mission.

Villa’s cash worries will be removed with victory at Wembley tomorrow, but defeat will see them under pressure to avoid breaking Financial Fair Play rules and being hit with a possible transfer embargo.

With the stakes so high, it is arguably Villa’s biggest game since the 1982 European Cup Final. Steve Bruce, the manager, is acutely aware of the doomsday scenario. Captain John Terry would be expected to leave, while deals to permanently sign loan players Robert Snodgrass, Sam Johnstone and Lewis Grabban will be scrapped.

The futures of stars including Jack Grealish, James Chester and Jonathan Kodjia will inevitably be plunged into doubt and it is understood that Villa may even have to consider selling their Recon Training Complex, if they fall short in the Championship play-off final.

Mile Jedinak, the Australian international, has admitted the game is crucial to the club’s future.

“We haven’t spoken about it but everybody knows. Nobody is kidding themselves, people are aware of it, they know the situation. We are doing the right thing and making sure that doesn’t happen,” he said. “The game on Saturday is life-changing. You all know what Premier League football comes with and the reward of that.

“It is a crossroads moment. It can go one of two ways: that’s what you’re dealing with. Some don’t take the time to think about it and that’s up to them. I can’t speak for everybody but that motivates me. I use that on the field to make sure I’m doing everything I possibly can. Is this game pivotal to Villa’s future? Oh yes, that goes without saying.”

Tomorrow’s game is widely agreed to be the most valuable in world football and years of cost-cutting will be over for Villa if they emerge as winners.

Bruce only spent £2.5million last summer, while raising £18million from player sales to ease a mammoth wage bill. He admits next season’s team will be “totally different”, if Fulham win.

I’d imagine wyness knows more about the finances than jedinak - of course we need to cut costs but when asked if we would be in financial trouble wyness was quite clear on his answer - we will manage and still be very comptitive on the pitch .

Cardiff and Huddersfield coped well with limited funds - no doubt the use of the loan market will be key

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Never at any point did I believe we would get promoted this season. Therefore, I am totally unsurprised to be proven right.

However, speculation on next season's chances are absolutely pointless at this stage. We have no clue who will be at the club, from the manager, the coaching staff and right through the first team squad.

There will be a time for this thread but I don't think it's now. There is too much change on the horizon for anyone to make any accurate predictions.

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Whatever we decide to do we need to act quick. None of this feeling sorry for ourselves. Stoke, Boro, West Brom, Swansea...you can be sure they are preparing already .

I bet the wage bill of those clubs is far higher than ours was though. Money in the PL moved on massively the year we went down. 

They could actually be harder hit than we were. 

I think if Bruce stays on then Terry will stay on. Can imagine the club will get imaginative with his wages (Appearance fee, big bonus for promotion etc).

Steer/Elmo/Bree/Chester/Terry/Elphick/Whelan/Birkir/Adomah/Hourihane/Grealish/Lansbury/Green/Kodija/Hogan. Add in the youngsters RHM/Clark/Doyle-Hayes/O'Hare/Lyden/Davis

Thats still the guts of a promotion chasing team. Just need to convince Chester and Grealish to stay on and be shrewd in the transfer market. Need a LB as Taylor isn't cutting it for me.

I think keeping Bruce would add stability but will he be the man to develop the youngsters? Maybe if he brings Delaney into the technical area to help.

Surely can make a bit of money back through letting a few players go Hutton, Jedi, Gabby, Golini, Gil, Bunn, Samba, Taylor, McCormack, Tshbola, De Laet, Gardner. 

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I feel your pain mate and I feel more pissed off today than I did when I left Wembley yesterday as I feel we missed a great opportunity by not starting the game as we approached the second half. You can't change the past though so we have to move on.

I think you are setting the bar too low though by saying we will be around the play offs. Lets target automatic. Cardiff out of the top flight for five years achieved automatic this season. Brighton had never played in the Premier League and achieved automatic last year. Burnley did the same in 2014, Bournemouth in 2015. I could go on and on I guess but it shows it doesn't take huge amounts of money and great squads to get out of this division. 

We have so much going for us and more than most. I know some fear a total melt down financially but I am confident we are fully prepared for the eventuality of not being promoted. The club have been cautious in their approach since the first transfer window under Xia. Overall under Bruce we have turned a very decent profit on transfers and had to utilise the loan market. 

It will take some creative thinking, being shrewd in the transfer market, bringing through the best of our youngsters of which we are blessed to have three or four who look ready to step up and once again good use of the loan market but there is no reason why we can't go into next season with a very competitive squad and be targeting automatic promotion.

I'll wait and see what happens before I get my hopes up that high, but I honestly think at the least we will be around the play offs. I don't blame anyone for being positive though, I'd rather that than some of the negative shit I've read on here. It's about backing the team and continuing to turn up in numbers to support them which I think we will providing we show and make some positive steps. 

• Like 1

I think we should keep elphick at the club. He looked very good during the time here. That would save some money on a cb.

If sell adomah. Lost most of my respect for him during the second half of the season. Was truly rubbish in 90% of the games since he came back from injury