Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

One thing that surprises me, Gaza is only about 20 long and is currently occupied by Isreal, how are Hamas managing to keep the location of the hostages secret? 

It might not be a secret - in fact I expect Israel very well know where the hostages are.

But what are they gonna do, storm the facility and risk the hostages dying? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It might not be a secret - in fact I expect Israel very well know where the hostages are.

But what are they gonna do, storm the facility and risk the hostages dying? 

Thats a good point, thank you. It seemed implausible to me that they didn’t know, especially when they are being released. There must be UAV’s or Satellites watching the entire area seeing where they emerge from.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Truce extended for another day. 

Now this is very weird. Stockholm Syndrome?

Stockholm Syndrome is probably the right answer - at the end of the day, they are all people. They spent weeks together. The hostages look healthy, it might very well be that they chatted, ate and laughed together while under capture. Afterall, they are often people from a similar ethic background living on the same land. They can relate to one another. 

A more cynic (and likely the right option) is that Hamas very well knew that nothing bad can happen to them. If they returned broken, raped and beaten prisoners, they would likely see hell dropped on them. 

Also, the prisoners must have been terrified. When a man with a rifle asks you to high five (for propaganda purposes) you are not exactly going to tell them to f off when you are so close to getting back home. 

I do wonder if it works the other way and palestinians under israeli capture also waved and laughed. 

Or the whole thing was staged. 

I do think that the lady saying 'bye bye' was a bit sarcastic.

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Stockholm Syndrome is probably the right answer - at the end of the day, they are all people. They spent weeks together. The hostages look healthy, it might very well be that they chatted, ate and laughed together while under capture. Afterall, they are often people from a similar ethic background living on the same land. They can relate to one another. 

A more cynic (and likely the right option) is that Hamas very well knew that nothing bad can happen to them. If they returned broken, raped and beaten prisoners, they would likely see hell dropped on them. 

Also, the prisoners must have been terrified. When a man with a rifle asks you to high five (for propaganda purposes) you are not exactly going to tell them to f off when you are so close to getting back home. 

I do wonder if it works the other way and palestinians under israeli capture also waved and laughed. 

Or the whole thing was staged. 

I do think that the lady saying 'bye bye' was a bit sarcastic.

Yeah I’m sure it was a ‘make sure you look happy or we will come find you again’

I’ve been reading up on past events in Middle East and this seems like a reoccurring theme over the  years doesn’t it?

A terrorist incident occurs against Israel  and in retaliation War crimes are committed to destroy the so called terrorists and thousands of civilians die. It’s just history continually repeating itself isn’t it ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

59 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve been reading up on past events in Middle East and this seems like a reoccurring theme ever few years doesn’t it?

A terrorist incident occurs against Israel  and in retaliation War crimes are committed to destroy the so called terrorists and thousands of civilians die. It’s just history continually repeating itself isn’t it ?

Well, you’ve chosen the Israeli version, which is quite close to the Palestinian version but subtly different.

The truth is in both and neither.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m sure it was a ‘make sure you look happy or we will come find you again’

Lots of them will also be leaving friends and relatives behind who are still being held hostage. 

Not sure there's any good sense in giving them a deserved volley of abuse and then sending them back to your husband or son who they still have locked up.

Obviously that's not the case. Most likely the hostages got treated extremely well where possible. If you beat your hostage then he's likely to try to attack/escape. Treat them well, remind them that the plan is to trade for Hamas prisoners and that there will be no danger to them but it might be a few weeks before they are sent home. I imagine any hostage who got treated badly just got caught in a bad situation early in the conflict.  

According to Israel - 161 hostages left, 126 male and 35 female. 

4 are children under 18 years old, 10 are aged over 75.

At least 50 are Israeli soldiers. 

9 are of Thai nationality.

7 are American.

According to Hamas - 3 are dead hostages that they would like to return the bodies. 

Edited by ender4

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

According to Israel - 161 hostages left, 126 male and 35 female. 

4 are children under 18 years old, 10 are aged over 75.

At least 50 are Israeli soldiers. 

9 are of Thai nationality.

7 are American.

According to Hamas - 3 are dead hostages that they would like to return the bodies. 

I bet they keep the Americans till last, the mood might change quickly and significantly once they are out of the way.

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve been reading up on past events in Middle East and this seems like a reoccurring theme over the  years doesn’t it?

Hmm.

40 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Hmm.

Sorry, maybe should have just wrote ‘terrorists’.  They won’t be terrorists in everyone’s eyes though. Some will see them as freedom fighters.

Out of interest, would you say Menachem Begin was the leader of a terrorist organisation ?

Â