Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

57 minutes ago, sne said:

Ah well, the cease fire lasted about as long as expected 

Longer than i expected to be honest.

Shame they couldn't quite get negotiations over the line for say another full week.  But noises are that it was close and negotiations are still ongoing in the background.

• Like 2

I think Netanyahu needed to start bombing families again or risk his apartheid state coalition breaking up. Last thing he wants from all this massacre and misery is to lose his grip on the throne a day earlier than necessary.

All the time they’ve had, you’d imagine they might now be in a position to take out HAMAS leadership directly, but I guess that doesn’t play so well as just revenge bombing. They are still stuck on their plan that you can bomb an idea into not existing.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

All the time they’ve had, you’d imagine they might now be in a position to take out HAMAS leadership directly, but I guess that doesn’t play so well as just revenge bombing.

They are still stuck on their plan that you can bomb an idea into not existing.

Can they do that with the Hamas leadership? Are the leaders even in Gaza? I thought they are meant to be in another country in the Middle East, and of course the actual overall leadership coming from Iran?

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Can they do that with the Hamas leadership? Are the leaders even in Gaza? I thought they are meant to be in another country in the Middle East, and of course the actual overall leadership coming from Iran?

There is a level of leadership in Gaza, and without them, any command from a safe house in some other country cannot be implemented.

But even for those hiding overseas, that wouldn’t usually be an issue for Israel, they’ve been bombing airports in Syria for the last few weeks. They’ve previously been involved in action against the Iranian nuclear programme.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry, maybe should have just wrote ‘terrorists’.  They won’t be terrorists in everyone’s eyes though. Some will see them as freedom fighters.

Out of interest, would you say Menachem Begin was the leader of a terrorist organisation ?

I think most people agree that Hamas are terrorists, maybe not Iran or Putin - but that's cause they're part of the same club.

• Like 1

:D

The claim

In a post on X (formerly Twitter) on November 13, Spanish organization Action and Communication on the Middle East (ACOM) shared a 4:48 minute long video from a tunnel with the caption: “This is one of more than 300 tunnels discovered by the Israeli army under the soil of Gaza. They are built by Hamas to infiltrate Israel, hide its weapons arsenals, hide the terrorists themselves. It is estimated that there is an excavated length greater than that of the Madrid Metro."

The Israeli researcher and media commentator Edy Cohen, who has been sharing unverified infomation amid the Israel-Gaza conflict, shared the same footage one day later and wrote, “Our soldiers are inside Hamas tunnels.” The X post went viral and has been seen eight million times as of November 20. 

In fact

The New York Times visual investigations reporter Aric Toler was the first to trace the footage to an abandoned Cold War bunker in Sweden. With the help of OSINT community hub Project Owl, Tooler compared the “Hamas tunnel footage” with a YouTube video from an old Swedish transmitter facility posted by urban explorers on October 10, 2022. 

https://www.logicallyfacts.com/en/fact-check/false-hamas-tunnel-footage-traced-back-to-swedish-bunker

This will come as a surprise to no one. But how about you build that buffer zone on your own land instead of stealing even more.

Israel informs Arab states it wants buffer zone in post-war Gaza

• Israel says buffer zone part of broader plan for Gaza
  • Israel conveyed plans to Egypt, Jordan, UAE, say sources
  • Saudi Arabia, with no Israel ties, also informed, they say
  • Arabs, U.S. oppose any move that reduces Palestinian land

DUBAI/CAIRO/LONDON, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Israel has informed several Arab states that it wants to carve out a buffer zone on the Palestinian side of Gaza's border to prevent future attacks as part of proposals for the enclave after war ends, Egyptian and regional sources said.

According to three regional sources, Israel related its plans to its neighbours Egypt and Jordan, along with the United Arab Emirates, which normalised ties with Israel in 2020.

They also said that Saudi Arabia, which does not have ties with Israel and which halted a U.S.-mediated normalisation process after the Gaza war flared on Oct. 7, had been informed. The sources did not say how the information reached Riyadh, which officially does not have direct communication channels with Israel. Non-Arab Turkey was also told, the sources said.

"Israel wants this buffer zone between Gaza and Israel from the north to the south to prevent any Hamas or other militants from infiltrating or attacking Israel," said a senior regional security official, one of the three regional sources who asked not to be identified by nationality.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-informs-arab-states-it-wants-buffer-zone-post-war-gaza-sources-2023-12-01/

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

There was some IDF apologist on the radio here yesterday saying all civilians could call up the interactive map to know safe routes to safe zones on a daily basis.

I guess they need to say this sort of thing to make it a bit more palatable for their sponsors in the U.S. to stomach the genocide. Possibly it also helps the actual people physically carrying out the mass murder to sleep a little easier at night. They will know ‘just carrying out orders’ doesn’t excuse them their crimes, so it helps the cognitive dissonance that they are bombing for peace by telling themselves the babies and grandmothers were clearly enemy combatants.

• Like 1

The Pentagon says a US warship and multiple commercial ships have come under attack in the Red Sea

An American warship and multiple commercial ships came under attack Sunday in the Red Sea, the Pentagon said, potentially marking a major escalation in a series of maritime attacks in the Mideast linked to the Israel-Hamas war.

“We’re aware of reports regarding attacks on the USS Carney and commercial vessels in the Red Sea and will provide information as it becomes available,” the Pentagon said.

https://apnews.com/article/red-sea-houthi-yemen-ships-attack-israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-716770f0a780160e9abed98d3c48fbde?taid=656ca7c035aad000013d39e8

The UK will carry out unarmed surveillance flights over the Middle East to search for Hamas hostage locations, the Ministry of Defence says.

The flights will help gather intelligence on potential hostage whereabouts.

Five British nationals are missing and the UK government has not said how many could be held by Hamas. 

"The safety of British nationals is our utmost priority," the MoD said.

"In support of the ongoing hostage rescue activity, the Ministry of Defence will conduct surveillance flights over the eastern Mediterranean, including operating in air space over Israel and Gaza."

It added that the aircraft will be unarmed and will be tasked solely to locate hostages.

I find it remarkable they don’t know where they are

bbc

Remarkable to me how much of this Israel/Palestine conflict is a larger proxy of the Saudi/Iran conflict and for how long do the Saudi/US/Qatar (what a weird triumvirate to have considering 9/11) let the Houthi's in Yemen keep up their attacks in the straits. I confess I don't know as much about the Saudi/Yemeni relationship, but the US broad scope has been to contain the conflicts to the Israel/Palestine area (much to the horror of the Palestinians) while Iran and by proxy, the Houthi party in Yemen, keep trying to yoke them in further.

Given the deal that was broken apart between SA and Israel by the Oct 7 attacks, Saudi Arabia might be just as angry about this whole conflict for pulling them into a war they had no desire to entertain.

Think these last two days has probably been the worst in terms of casualties. No let up it seems. I wonder how long the leaders of the world will wrestle with the moral quandary of what's a proportionate response before coming to a conclusion. Another 20,000 deaths should do it I reckon 

• Sad 1

Â