New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Celtic saying they want 2.5 m in compensation for Rodgers. No way are we paying that so that ones out the window if remotely true

If true I thought they’d be looking more. I’d be snapping their hand off at that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

First Liverpool manager since the 1950s not to win a trophy

Or to spin it another way, the closest a Liverpool manager has come to winning the league title since Dalglish in 1990.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Wolves appointed a manager who had managed Porto and Valencia.  We are talking about appointing a guy who gives out the bibs and puts out the cones before Belgium training. Night and day.

Yep and he finishes all that in time to cut up the oranges.....Jesus at least try and have a decent argument against his appointment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Wolves appointed a manager who had managed Porto and Valencia.  We are talking about appointing a guy who gives out the bibs and puts out the cones before Belgium training. Night and day.

Seriously?? Is that all he does?

How uneducated is this drivel?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I can't argue.....i just have reservations with his time elsewhere.....Liverpool was mixed, Swansea was, well ok, but mixed.......Celtic , i have reservations with that too......not exactly challenging football, generally attract players with one eye on a champions league opportunity.......already had a manager from there that had some success with us but bought a load of tripe in the main.

we are 15th in the championship........we need a radical rethink of our playing philosophy, not someone to scrape us up.

personally, i want a new fresh approach, with guys that can do it.....without preconceived predjucies born out of old experiences.

There inexperience is an attraction for me not a negative.

We need to go in a different direction.

I guess we'll see what transpires. I have no issue with Henry if appointed and hope he is successful, it just concerns me that he hasn't bedded down his ideas and coaching methodology. People are using sound bites of media grabs and that he is a great technician, maybe? But what is the next sentence after that, the next paragraph, how do you get the players to buy into your beliefs? You don't hear that side in the media, only the sound bites. I see Rodgers getting us up and towards the Top 6. He did well at Liverpool IMO, but over thought his last season, maybe a limitation, he's accomplished all he can at Celtic, they have hit the ceiling and he needs a new challenge.

I'll be happy with either appointment, but I do support Terry being the assistant no matter who is appointed manager, he gets Villa. 

• Like 1

After Gerrard cost him the title, Rodgers lost Suarez and wanted Sanchez but board was cheap and they got him Balotelli instead ?

He is a hell of a lot better option than Henry and we know he tries to play good football

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

I also don't recall Roy Hodgson or houllier winning anything either

Houllier won the FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, UEFA Super Cup at Liverpool and 2 French titles at Lyon. Roy Hodgson won 5 consecutive Swedish titles at Malmo, where the fans unofficially named a stand after him. 

Henry or Rodgers - either would be a substantial improvement on what we've seen for the last few years.

Rodgers was my top candidate. Good, attacking football with a bit of experience. Henry/Terry is the exciting option, although the more I think about why, its the potential for good, attacking football. They aren't a known quantity because they haven't done it before, but we know it'll be good football. 

So if the attacking styles are similar, why do we want the dynamic duo in the dugout rather than the experienced head? Maybe we are seeing the glamour of their names. Maybe the celebrity manager is having an impact on our decision. 

I dunno, but damn I'd be happy with either. Rodgers is the known, safe pair of hands to attack the league. Probably the sensible mans option. The Brothers Terry? Well that's the exciting risk. Could be brilliant, could be catastrophic. 

Whoever it is, let's just get on with it. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

I understand people’s fear of lack of experience with regards to Thierry Henry, but I don’t understand this translating into because he hasn’t done it before he will be rubbish. A guy who is a legendary footballer, has been coached by some of the best in the world, who has by all accounts an encyclopaedic knowledge and is obsessed with football and people are assuming that he knows nothing! People see fit to show pathetic disrespect for this guy with comments along the lines that he just hands out the bibs for Belgium. It’s this sort of small minded, none imaginative thinking  that has got us exactly where we are now and will keep us here for a long long time. I hope the board don’t share this boring, fear of the unknown vision of our future. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Houllier won the FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, UEFA Super Cup at Liverpool and 2 French titles at Lyon. Roy Hodgson won 5 consecutive Swedish titles at Malmo, where the fans unofficially named a stand after him. 

I meant won nothing at Liverpool as he said Rodgers was first in 50 years not to do so which was incorrect... I didn't realise Houllier won that much though! 

Edited by holteend1982

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Bit of a Strawman argument. They have a better CV than Henry cause he currently doesn't have one. He could very well turn out to be a great manager and then we would have **** all chance on landing him, thus we are in a position where we got to take risks. 

Its not a straw man argument at all. They have the qualifications for the job, Henry doesn't. Where is the stawman?

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I understand people’s fear of lack of experience with regards to Thierry Henry, but I don’t understand this translating into because he hasn’t done it before he will be rubbish. A guy who is a legendary footballer, has been coached by some of the best in the world, who has by all accounts an encyclopaedic knowledge and is obsessed with football and people are assuming that he knows nothing! People see fit to show pathetic disrespect for this guy with comments along the lines that he just hands out the bibs for Belgium. It’s this sort of small minded, none imaginative thinking  that has got us exactly where we are now and will keep us here for a long long time. I hope the board don’t share this boring, fear of the unknown vision of our future. 

It’s a massive gamble Dave.  Could either be a stroke of genius or a complete disaster.

3 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I meant won nothing at Liverpool as he said Rodgers was first in 50 years not to do so which was incorrect... I didn't realise Houllier won that much though! 

Houllier won a cup treble with Liverpool one season. 

I'm beginning to think Rodgers might be the preferred choice, if it was Terry and Henry i think they would have been in by now. 

How about a combo of Rodgers and Terry? Would they have worked together at Chelsea?

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm beginning to think Rodgers might be the preferred choice, if it was Terry and Henry i think they would have been in by now. 

How about a combo of Rodgers and Terry? Would they have worked together at Chelsea?

From what I've read on the interwebs, Terry isn't Henry dependent and could come in under whoever we get, so Rodgers/Terry could be a possibility.